Turning Railroads into roads

modmyciv

Warlord
Chaps,

I've returned to CivIII again... :)

Thanks to the CRX utility I can now add 'railroads' to my fantasy version and limit the unit speed, giving a useful resource boost mid-game. So I downloaded some grey cobblestone roads from here to use as 'paved roads'. All works well except the graphics don't always line-up properly, with roads ending abruptly at tile edges, I think the graphics file was unfinished, or has errors. Can I just draw over the railroads.pcx file? Or is it better to start with the roads.pcx file instead, I assume both are overlaid onto the terrain so the paved version needs to cover the roads where applicable, right?. Then I'll need to add an extra row at the bottom to make it compatible. Anybody done this sucessfully? Thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited:
Okay, well I sorted it. I took the roads, converted the indexed palette to greys and added an extra row of 8-way junctions at the bottom. Bingo, your brown tracks are replaced with grey paved roads exactly. It's a pity the original cobbled set didn't work, but they were a little too thick anyway and dominated the landscape, these are neater. Cheers anyway, at least a few people did read the thread :)

CML

Hi @modmyciv
This is also a very good idea for a medieval mod.
How were you able to slow down the railway traffic?
In my own fantasy mod(EFMII), I set up a minecart railway for the dwarves, but it would be nice to slow it down.

There were a few other things that I changed, the airfield became a portal gate, the radar tower was replaced by a border guard tower...

Sorry for not replying much, much sooner. Just in case you haven't found out: the C3X utility chap (the original post had a typo) enables you to set a maximum rail speed in a text config. file. Only drawback is all your units travel at this, so cavalry don't have an advantage on home soil. It also means you can't set it lower than the speed of your fastest unit, unless you want something to slow down, Mod does loads of other stuff including huge improvement in AI artilery use, which means it will attack your cities with stacks of bombarding units. Worth using for this alone. Also has stacking fire buttons, pause if a city is in revolt and more.It runs from a batch file, you you can choose to run Civ with or without it easily - no game files are changed. Highly recommended.

Sorry for not replying much, much sooner. Just in case you haven't found out: the C3X utility chap (the original post had a typo) enables you to set a maximum rail speed in a text config. file. Only drawback is all your units travel at this, so cavalry don't have an advantage on home soil. It also means you can't set it lower than the speed of your fastest unit, unless you want something to slow down, Mod does loads of other stuff including huge improvement in AI artilery use, which means it will attack your cities with stacks of bombarding units. Worth using for this alone. Also has stacking fire buttons, pause if a city is in revolt and more.It runs from a batch file, you you can choose to run Civ with or without it easily - no game files are changed. Highly recommended.

I'm interested in this setup, I'll do it. :)

Where can I find the CRX utility file, can you link it?
Does Civilization III conquests work under 1.22?

Later I could even use it for an ancient or medieval mod, as you described earlier, as a graphically modified paved road. :thumbsup:

It's on the forum - https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/c3x.28759/

Now at version 15, I am running version 8, so now I'll have to see what's been added - it says that buikldings can generate resources, sounds fun. The paved roads thing works rather well but you'll probably have to give it to all civs, given the resource bump (+1S or +1F).

Have fun

This game is still my favorite to this day, I enjoy that, unlike many games, it was expandable quite well in the past, this game is still alive today, because modes, units and buildings, etc. there are many accessories to it.

Top Bottom