Unanswered Questions in Movies.

In the LOTR trilogy and books, why not use the Eagles to **drop** the ring into the crack of doom? Could have avoided the entire war and settled it at Rivendale :p

Another one...

Who made the robots in the Terminator films?

In the Terminator series, the American government ill-advisedly relinquishes control of their nuclear defense system to an unfeeling artificial intelligence programmed only to kill. It proceeds to do so indiscriminately, and mankind is reduced to a few scattered rebels fending off hordes of Austrian robots. But who or what is building all those Schwarzeneggers?
If you're thinking that Skynet probably just employs a division of Terminators to operate its factories, you're missing the point -- the computer didn't have access to Terminators back when it killed off all the humans. In fact, the most sophisticated robot that Skynet had access to at the time, the T-1, was a goofy-looking tank with Gatling guns instead of hands that could barely fit through a doorway, let alone turn a valve.

It's best to assume T3 And T4 never existed. T3 did have those lame robots, like you said, can't build anything. Both movies sucked, T4 sucking worse than T3.

And taking control of factories isn't a reasonable response. No factory is entirely automated. You still need human hands to build cars now days, and at the time of judgement day.

T2 should have been the last. No fate but what you make. Sarah Connor made the fate of no judgement day. But miraculously it happens anyways so they can make more money. :)

In Terminator Salvation, we see the human slaves of the machines. After nuclear attacks on the cities - and the presumed following Nuclear Winter - desperate human survivors are enslaved by the machines and it's probably they who work in the Skynet factories.

In the LOTR trilogy and books, why not use the Eagles to **drop** the ring into the crack of doom? Could have avoided the entire war and settled it at Rivendale :p

Youtube: How the Lord of the Rings Should Have Ended.

Ferris Bueler's Day Off.....why the he'll didn't Ferris and co. check to see whether the mileage was rewinding on Cameron's dads car before going to hang by the pool? They go to all the trouble of putting it up on blocks, fixing the accelerator etc and don't check to see if it works. Always annoyed me.

It was Bueler's hubris, his unrelenting self-confidence, his inability to concieve that any strategem of his could possible fail, that was his downfall.

Lordy, I'm hot! Give me another one...

Youtube: How the Lord of the Rings Should Have Ended.
You know, there were those nine Ringwraiths riding those fell beasts… you can't hide up in the air. The Eye would've seen them right away and so they would've been captured or killed out in the middle of nowhere.

Also, it's more epic by foot.

You know, there were those nine Ringwraiths riding those fell beasts… you can't hide up in the air. The Eye would've seen them right away and so they would've been captured or killed out in the middle of nowhere.

Also, it's more epic by foot.

So, all you need is ten Eagles.

But yeah, the journey is the Reward.

Only one Ring, they can feel its presence. We're forgetting all those siege weapons the Mordorian armies had as well.

7. Spider-Man 2: Doctor Octavius’s arms – OK, so Octavius had to invent these heat- and magnet-proof metal arms, controlled by sophisticated AI, that attach directly to a human body and interface directly with the brain. So why, exactly, does he need Harry Osborn to finance his big fusion experiment? Is there any doubt that the technology behind these arms would be worth millions, if not billions, of dollars? He could buy and sell Harry.

Doc Ock probably invented them using a grant from private industry, which would mean the technology is owned not by him but by the private company that invested in them. Evidently this company lacks the resources or interest to invest in the fusion experiment as well, hence his need to seek funding elsewhere.

16.Aladdin -- Did the Genie Create an Entire Country for Aladdin to Rule?
This classic Disney flick tells the age-old tale about the boy who wants the hot girl beyond his social stature and finally gets her through perseverance and deception. Also, Robin Williams with reality-warping powers.

When he frees the Genie from his tiny lamp prison, Aladdin gets his share of three magical wishes that can give him anything he wants. Knowing that the princess could never marry him if he was poor because of the law (also because ewww), he makes the Genie turn him into a prince. Princess Jasmine resists him at first, but is eventually charmed by his singing voice and impressive on-the-spot lyric creation.
The exact wording of Aladdin's wish to the Genie is "I wish for you to make me a prince" -- not to make him look like a prince, or to make him pass for a prince. He wants to become a full-fledged prince, and that's exactly what the Genie does ... with some disturbing implications. For the wish to come true, the Genie must have made an entire nation spring out of nowhere. Aladdin has to be the prince of something, otherwise he's just a guy in a pimp costume and should ask for his money back. When Jafar asks him where his kingdom is, Aladdin doesn't seem to know, but that doesn't mean the Genie didn't create one. The wish wasn't really fulfilled if there wasn't really a kingdom somewhere.

No, the Genie might have transformed Aladdin into a prince of an already existing kingdom (and just forgot to tell him which one). There are plenty of kingdoms that have lots of princes, and the addition of another minor one might go unnoticed, at least if he was out of the country.

In Goodfellas, how does Henry not notice that there are 20 f'ing cops around his house while he's making dinner?

I'm guessing a combination of the NARCs waiting to turn on their lights until he left the house and Henry being high as a kite at the time.

Probably wouldn't have worked, considering that Sauron had his entire army camped around the volcano, and the Eagles would be spotted from a mile away. Not to mention that the only person in the movies able to ride an eagle was Gandalf, and he refused to touch the ring in the first movie.

Another Pulp Fiction question. Why did Vincent leave his machine pistol on the kitchen counter while he went to the bathroom, much less close the door?

Another one...

Who made the robots in the Terminator films?

In the Terminator series, the American government ill-advisedly relinquishes control of their nuclear defense system to an unfeeling artificial intelligence programmed only to kill. It proceeds to do so indiscriminately, and mankind is reduced to a few scattered rebels fending off hordes of Austrian robots. But who or what is building all those Schwarzeneggers?
If you're thinking that Skynet probably just employs a division of Terminators to operate its factories, you're missing the point -- the computer didn't have access to Terminators back when it killed off all the humans. In fact, the most sophisticated robot that Skynet had access to at the time, the T-1, was a goofy-looking tank with Gatling guns instead of hands that could barely fit through a doorway, let alone turn a valve.

I've always assumed these factories were largely automated and so when Skynet captured a few humans, it could force them to work there to build more. Eventually it achieved full automation in the manufacturing process.

In T1 they say that humans are being utilized in machines' concentration camps. I guess they do the work which is still too hard for the machines to do.

It's best to assume T3 And T4 never existed. T3 did have those lame robots, like you said, can't build anything. Both movies sucked, T4 sucking worse than T3.

My rule is "if Arnold is there, then it's canon". So T3 is a part of the Terminator universe.

---

I have a better question - in T3 the point is that Skynet has spread into every computer through the Internet, thus becoming a large, decentralized brain. Well, that brain would get a bit of a lobotomy in the nuclear war, due to all the EMPs and power outages that would follow. At some point it still had to have a reliable hardware "safe haven" to retreat to. So, how did it survive?

(OT trivia: I remember playing a Terminator scenario for Civ 2 years and years ago, it was very good.)

Another Pulp Fiction question. Why did Vincent leave his machine pistol on the kitchen counter while he went to the bathroom, much less close the door?

Logical answer: because Vincent didn't know that Butch would come in.

Less logical answer: because important things always happen to when Vincent is in the bathroom.

Movie answer: Jules and Vincent seem to be two sides of a coin. In an earlier post I was talking about the nihilistic landscape that the movie is set in. In a subtle reference to Nietzsche, the movie takes place during “the total eclipse of all values”-era of Nietzschean thought (Der Wille zur Macht). Where religion, the arbiter of value for much of history, is gone ("God is dead") and people are lost and are looking for a new way of assigning value and meaning to objects (hence where all the pop culture references play in; when value is lost only common experiences/references hold any meaning).

After the incident with the guy hiding in the closest with "a goddamn hand cannon" "that was bigger than himself", Jules undergoes a spiritual revival, as we can see when he revisits Ezekiel 25:17 in the diner when he's talking to Ringo. Vincent, on the other hand, remains 'ignorant'. Vincent's ignorance eventually, in some really odd form of form of poetic justice, Vincent and his ignorance are killed by Butch, who himself is also going transcendence.

Mispost, sorry.

Probably wouldn't have worked, considering that Sauron had his entire army camped around the volcano, and the Eagles would be spotted from a mile away. Not to mention that the only person in the movies able to ride an eagle was Gandalf, and he refused to touch the ring in the first movie

Do you know what flight is? A ground army could not prevent a flying eagle. Even if your afraid of arrows you can fly high or you could fly around and approach the crack of doom from the south. Also I'm sure somebody else could ride an Eagle, just because we only see Gandalf ride it - doesn't mean to say nobody else can.

No, the Genie might have transformed Aladdin into a prince of an already existing kingdom (and just forgot to tell him which one). There are plenty of kingdoms that have lots of princes, and the addition of another minor one might go unnoticed, at least if he was out of the country.
That's true, a prince doesn't have to be a ruler.
Probably wouldn't have worked, considering that Sauron had his entire army camped around the volcano, and the Eagles would be spotted from a mile away. Not to mention that the only person in the movies able to ride an eagle was Gandalf, and he refused to touch the ring in the first movie.
Do you know what flight is? A ground army could not prevent a flying eagle. Even if your afraid of arrows you can fly high or you could fly around and approach the crack of doom from the south. Also I'm sure somebody else could ride an Eagle, just because we only see Gandalf ride it - doesn't mean to say nobody else can.
But Quacks, the Mordorian armies had siege engines, as well as the nine Ringwraiths. Have you read the Silmarillion? Sauron is also described as a sorcerer and having used vampires in the old wars, and the dragons were his allies, so would you really have risked flying?

Logical answer: because Vincent didn't know that Butch would come in.
But that is specifically why Vincent was in Butch's apartment.

Movie answer: Jules and Vincent seem to be two sides of a coin. In an earlier post I was talking about the nihilistic landscape that the movie is set in. In a subtle reference to Nietzsche, the movie takes place during “the total eclipse of all values”-era of Nietzschean thought (Der Wille zur Macht). Where religion, the arbiter of value for much of history, is gone ("God is dead") and people are lost and are looking for a new way of assigning value and meaning to objects (hence where all the pop culture references play in; when value is lost only common experiences/references hold any meaning).
I think you are reading far too much into a Quentin Tarantino movie.

But that is specifically why Vincent was in Butch's apartment.

It isn't Butch's apartment anymore. I think Butch was as surprised as us to see a mobster in his old room. Complete coincidence.

I think you are reading far too much into a Quentin Tarantino movie.

Nah, if you google stuff about Pulp Fiction, you'll get a lot of stuff about nihilism and Nietzsche.

Top Bottom