Underwater Cities Development

Well there are two types of underwater city techs, Marine Colonization and Abyss Colonization. The second one is colonizing the ocean floor.

Hi again, is there any plan to implement these ? That would be a fine gameplay addition and for people who experienced the planetfall mod, it quite contributes to the "future" feeling. Sea cities would definitely bring something more special to transhuman era.

It causes problems with units on the plot - is it considered land or sea? Can boats pass over it without noticing it's there? (if they don't have the appropriate tech). If it's considered to be creating an island (so a sea city, but NOT an underwater one) AND it does NOT connect two land masses (i.e. - it must be in ocean not on a coastal tile), then we could do it without too much difficulty. HOWEVER, getting the AI to use them or to attack them would require a LOT more work.

The basic problem is not with the graphics for underwater cities but with how said cities (and routes) interact with units on the surface of the ocean. Cavalry on a transport at the surface of the water can attack an underwater city or disembark onto a tunnel for example.

I will reiterate what i have said before (a while back now...). Genetic Era's code took care of ALL of these issues. We had almost no problems with units in our cities and tunnels. Land units could not be directly attacked by sea going vessels (as well as vice-versa) and yet the vessels could travel in the space with no problems. They behaved the way they should. The only space that non-allied sea unit had to avoid was the underwater cities themselves. If there was any problem it was only when a tunnel was pillaged. I don't recall this being an issue though. As the matter of fact, I recall getting mad a few time because an enemy pillaged a tile in which I had units... they all died (which is what should happen if a tunnel with land units is pillaged).

We can integrate the Genetic Era code into this mod. However it will not be easy. It will be a time consuming process because of all the changes already made.

The Abyss colonization will probably have to wait until multi-maps are set up. But any surface or shallow water cities could probably be done.

This was a huge debate earlier in the thread. I don't think it was 100% resolved but I recall it leaning in the end towards having a graphic that combined the underwater and over water look. A "flotilla" on top that was anchored to the larger, underwater city below. As was mentioned in the debate, I don't like the idea of having to switch between multiple maps to have to move units through tunnels when I am simply transporting them to another continent.

I will reiterate what i have said before (a while back now...). Genetic Era's code took care of ALL of these issues. We had almost no problems with units in our cities and tunnels. Land units could not be directly attacked by sea going vessels (as well as vice-versa) and yet the vessels could travel in the space with no problems. They behaved the way they should. The only space that non-allied sea unit had to avoid was the underwater cities themselves. If there was any problem it was only when a tunnel was pillaged. I don't recall this being an issue though. As the matter of fact, I recall getting mad a few time because an enemy pillaged a tile in which I had units... they all died (which is what should happen if a tunnel with land units is pillaged).

We can integrate the Genetic Era code into this mod. However it will not be easy. It will be a time consuming process because of all the changes already made.
I believe there are a number of things you'd done with that mod that are things we want done here. What you mention are some good elements. Didn't you also have a more advanced unit visibility mechanism? I think we'd been talking about that before and it was something I was really looking forward to sorting out with you.

This was a huge debate earlier in the thread. I don't think it was 100% resolved but I recall it leaning in the end towards having a graphic that combined the underwater and over water look. A "flotilla" on top that was anchored to the larger, underwater city below. As was mentioned in the debate, I don't like the idea of having to switch between multiple maps to have to move units through tunnels when I am simply transporting them to another continent.
I think we did figure out a way to make that work... something about a Z or Elevation value for units. It's just not the forefront for projects at the moment.

I believe there are a number of things you'd done with that mod that are things we want done here. What you mention are some good elements. Didn't you also have a more advanced unit visibility mechanism? I think we'd been talking about that before and it was something I was really looking forward to sorting out with you.

Yes. We did. It was called "graded invisibility" where units based on a more advanced tech were invisible to lower technology units. The reverse however was NOT true. IT also incorporated a "camouflage" ability that allowed a type of invisibility that was dependent on terrain and features.

Lastly, there was another mod component that worked with this system that added terrain improvements called "vision improvements." These items were very well developed (IMO) so that they could:
  • Regress the fog of war for a XML specified radius.
  • "Detect" (see) invisible units of a specified "invisibility" level or lower.
  • Automatically upgrade when a better "detection" technology was discovered.
  • Segregate between the "fog of war" radius and a detect invisibility radius

The AI also was capable of detecting a good place to build these improvements with reasonable accuracy. (There were a few minor glitches but over all, I was pleased with it).

We had some decent graphics to go along with the improvements. I would be fine with letting you guys cannibalize these particular mod components.

I think we did figure out a way to make that work... something about a Z or Elevation value for units. It's just not the forefront for projects at the moment.

Yeah, though I think we decided to allow for the upper graphic to be in the forefront, keeping in mind that there was stuff underneath if the z elevation thing didn't work.

that seems awesome:D how do you get something like this? I was not able to in my game, maybe needs specific settler type like moon city?

You can't, I guess you found some sort of concept art.
Sea cities were under development at some point, but it got scrapped or something.
Also thread is like 7 years old lol

You can't, I guess you found some sort of concept art.
Sea cities were under development at some point, but it got scrapped or something.
Also thread is like 7 years old lol
Are you sure?
I'm now way behind in eras to check it, but Underwater Tunnels should be (and definitely were) a thing, so maybe you could build a city with a Settler that used one?
I'll eventually get there to check it at some point (probably not too soon), but this is just a random guess of how it could be a thing.

Are you sure?
I'm now way behind in eras to check it, but Underwater Tunnels should be (and definitely were) a thing, so maybe you could build a city with a Settler that used one?
I'll eventually get there to check it at some point (probably not too soon), but this is just a random guess of how it could be a thing.
Underwater tunnels and underwater cities are two completely unrelated things.

There no such thing as underwater cities, otherwise players would have build them already.

that seems awesome:D how do you get something like this? I was not able to in my game, maybe needs specific settler type like moon city?

This was from a mod for Warlords and has not been adapted in yet - but hopefully soon-ish.

Top Bottom