underwater cities

hotei

Chieftain
How about cities under/on the sea or ocean? connected with "normal" cities with tunnels, with special abilities (producing underwater units, using unique resources. Instead of "future tech" player's civilization would enter some new age of underwater exploring... I think i would be great to have it in Civ4

--
regards,
hotei

hotei said:
How about cities under/on the sea or ocean? connected with "normal" cities with tunnels, with special abilities (producing underwater units, using unique resources. Instead of "future tech" player's civilization would enter some new age of underwater exploring... I think i would be great to have it in Civ4

--
regards,
hotei

What a cool idea - something like sea-world. You know we know more about space then we do our own Oceans . ..

Underwater (and space) cities were one of the worse ideas from call to power. ctp had some good ideas, but this wasnt one of them. Besides, it is way too futuristic. By the time we will have the technology for this, any normal game will be almost over anyway, turning it into an even more mindless spread-like-a-virus activity.

As fun as it would make the future, this is bad for two reasons:

1) We're nowhere near self-sustaining underwater colonies (heck, we could barely get a self-sustaining colony on land), and far future things are inherently bad in a historical, or even near-future, game.

2) It will be way too overpowering to whoever gets the tech lead (not unlike all those free cities you get for getting the first turn in Risk 2210).

Agreed. One of the features of the modern age in Civ is that you can colonize very very rapidly - set a few cities producing a settler every turn and you've got an instant army of colonisers which could cover the seabed in an instant, as soon as 1 civ got the tech. Game over. Unless you make the undersea settlers very very expensive to build (maybe even as expensive as a wonder). CTP didn't use the idea very well.

I like the idea of sea settlers, and I even tried to implement them in Civ3 but I couldn't get the graphics right. As for the tech thing, I didn't know we could travel to Alpha Centauri, or get longevity. The cost would not have to be hugely expensive, slightly more than a carrier and costing 2 population heads.

I would settle for 1-2 hex bridges/tunnels... That isn't futuristic, and would help tremendously in some games...

It will make the game a futuristic game, and it seems that most civ players prefer the historical trends... in CTP it was terrible

I think that would be cool. Underwater tunnels or bridges so land units can get across. But I would make them cost alot so naval units don't lose popularity

Just make it so that if any of them in a connected chain get pillaged, all land units in the tunnels drown.

Top Bottom