Union of Christian denominations?

Are you symphatetic to other Christian denominations?

• I am symphatetic towards my denomination only

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I am sympathetic towards Roman Catholics

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • I am sympathetic towards Eastern Orthodox Christians

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • I am sympathetic towards Protestants

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I am sympathetic towards non-denominated Christians

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • I'm not religious or Christian

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I am symphatetic towards Uranium enriched monkeys

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters

Comraddict

C.IV
As you (hopefully) all know, in today's world are present three major Christian denominations: Roman Catholic, (Eastern) Orthodox, and Protestant denominations.

Of course there are non-denominational churches, although they are rare, I've included them in poll. And Protestantism itself includes numerous denominations; where some are less aligned with protestants than others.

So the question is, are you as a member of one denominations sympathetic towards other ones? And would you accept eventual union with them? For simplicity reasons, all Protestants are grouped together with assumption that one person is symphatetic or not to all of them.

And it is not just my fiction that these divided faiths will eventually come closer to each other, you can read the article about Pope's desire to approach Orthodox Church.

I am sympathetic towards evangelical, conservative Protestant churches. I would be okay with the merging of some of those denominations, but I would have be okay with merging with some of the more liberal protestant denominations.

For the sake of the poll, I voted "I am sympathetic towards Protestants". That said, there are only a few issues which prevent me from saying I would be okay with merging with the Catholic church, but they are BIG issues.

VRWCAgent said:
For the sake of the poll, I voted "I am sympathetic towards Protestants". That said, there are only a few issues which prevent me from saying I would be okay with merging with the Catholic church, but they are BIG issues.
What issues is they?

Priests being able to forgive sins tops the list. Like I said, there are not many at all, but the few issues I do have are pretty much insurmountable.

EDIT: In some respects, I do think the Catholics are right about issues where the Protestants seem to either be ambilivent or flat out wrong, but they pale in comparison to things like Priests forgiving sin.

VRWCAgent said:
Priests being able to forgive sins tops the list. Like I said, there are not many at all, but the few issues I do have are pretty much insurmountable.

EDIT: In some respects, I do think the Catholics are right about issues where the Protestants seem to either be ambilivent or flat out wrong, but they pale in comparison to things like Priests forgiving sin.
I don't think that Catholics believe that priests themselves can forgive sins, rather that priests acting throw God can tell a sinner that they know he is forgiven.

There are cenrtainly lots of issues, and new are emerging. One recent that I can think of is existance of female priests in Anglican Church, but not in other two denominations.

back when i was a christian i was more sympathetic towards other protestant churches than say catholics and orthodox, but i'd never consider uniting the denominations. religious people have different ways of enjoying church and different interpretations of passages. A standardized version of the christian religion would probably make the few churchgoers there are stop. Not that any of that concerns me now, just something for everyone to think about.

I am "sympathetic", as in I believe we are all part of the Body of Christ, towards all Christians of all denominations. (I define Christians one way, though, that wouldn't include Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons, while others differ on them, especially the last one.)

My family is actually still looking for a local church, since we recently moved, but we could best be described as non-denominational, having attended a variety of churches over the years. (All Protestant, though, except for a field trip to a Catholic church - they had a cool belltower ;) ) I'd stick with that label, partially because I don't think it's really right to just ignore Paul's warning that we should all consider ourselves Christians, rather than followers of "Apollos" or "Paul" or "Jerrry Falwell", or whoever. Denominational labels (Baptist, Pentecostal, etc...) and theological labels (Arminian, Calvinist, etc...) can be useful in their place, but largely I think they are used too much, and given too much importance in the modern day church. Sometimes it seems like people are Baptists, or Anglicans, or whatever first, and Christians second, when it should be the other way around.

I would like to see mergers between theologically similar denominations - however, I think a merger between the Catholic, and Protestant branches of Christianity would be extremely difficult at best, and impossible at worst, and most likely should not be attempted at all. It would only serve to cause infighting and highlight the differences of beliefs; it would be better to just talk to each other more, and remind ourselves that we're disciples of Christ first, and members of our respective denominations second.

For my serious answer, Im not exactly sure how I ought to vote. I'm certainly a Christian, just not one of the denominations listed. I'm "sympathetic" to all christians, as I consider us all on the same team...albiet I'm "more sympathetic" to branches that dont do things like scream "MORMONS ARE A CULT AND THEY ARE GOING TO TEH HELL" and take a dump on Temple clothes. These people suck.

I wouldnt really be in favor of the Mormons merging with any other church, even though, theologically, we have a lot in common with many of them, because I dont think any other church would want that, and we'd have to make theologically consessions or something. We are what we are.

How dare you forget Anglicanism/Episcopalian. They are protestant but yet Catholic. Anglicans stress that Anglicanism is the "via media" (middle way) between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism.

Perfection said:
I don't think that Catholics believe that priests themselves can forgive sins, rather that priests acting throw God can tell a sinner that they know he is forgiven.
Catholics believe that no priest, as an individual man, has he power to forgive sins. The power belongs to God. However, God can and does exercise it through the Catholic priesthood. Many Catholics believe God exercises the power of forgiveness by the sacrament of reconciliation.

On topic, I am more sympathetic towards Roman Catholicism and hope for reunion, especialy between the Eastern Orthodox and Catholicism.

MattBrown said:
Mormons Represent yo!!
Not out of disrespect, but unless Mormonism accepts the belief of the Trinity. I doubt Mormonism would be united with mainstream Christianity. :(

CivGeneral said:
How dare you forget Anglicanism/Episcopalian. They are protestant but yet Catholic. Anglicans stress that Anglicanism is the "via media" (middle way) between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism.

I did not forget them, you can put them in either of two, or both groups. Although I doubt Catholics would see them as one of their own. There are really 3 major denominations, which can be easily defined as ones that have significant influences in more than two countries.

Comraddict said:
I did not forget them, you can put them in either of two, or both groups. Although I doubt Catholics would see them as one of their own. There are really 3 major denominations, which can be easily defined as ones that have significant influences in more than two countries.
Usualy to save headaches for myself. I oftenly place Anglican/Episcopal into its own denomination ;).

MattBrown said:
I wouldnt really be in favor of the Mormons merging with any other church, even though, theologically, we have a lot in common with many of them, because I dont think any other church would want that, and we'd have to make theologically consessions or something. We are what we are.

Indeed, the whole point of Mormonism is that we are distinct from anyone else. We couldn't merge with another denomination; we would have to give up everything - our doctrine, our practices, our history - to do that.

But I am "sympathetic" towards other Christian religions. They are, after all, trying to do a lot of the same things we are.

Comraddict said:
That seems to be whole point of each denomination. :lol:

Moreso in Mormonism than anywhere else. To make any doctrinal compromises at all in the name of unity goes against the principles on which the church was founded; either our doctrine and authority comes straight from God, or there is no point at all in what we are doing.

CivGeneral said:
On topic, I am more sympathetic towards Roman Catholicism and hope for reunion, especialy between the Eastern Orthodox and Catholicism.
Only without Pope!;)

CivGeneral said:
Sorry, the pope has to stay :p
Sorry, there will no reunion.:p

Top Bottom