Unique Units elimination thread

Chu-Ko-Nu - 18 (+1)
Keshik - 14 (-4)
Longbowman - 17

The CKN is a great unit which allows China to be a real domination powerhouse. Getting 2 shots every turn makes defense a breeze when the AI comes with an unprovoked DOW and a Deity sized swarm of troops. Attacking is also swift and furious as the 2 attacks take down defenders and city defenses which providing 2x the experience every turn. Prior to G&K, the CKN was a very good unit. Now that it upgrades to a 2 shot Gatling Gun with lots of promotions (including the +1 range which is usually the 4th), it is hands down the best of the three remaining units!

I like my units to last from the time I build them until the end of the game. This means that as new technology becomes available, they need to upgrade. A unit with a dead end upgrade path has very limited value. I am amazed that the Keshik made it to the top 3. Now it is time to go though.

Chu-Ko-Nu - 14
Keshik - 15
Longbowman - 17

To make this quite clear, the Chu and Longbowman and the more powerful units here. But my problem is that they are too powerful when they are upgraded. The Kesh is quick and very strong during the era it exists in, for fast wars.

Chu-Ko-Nu - 15 (+1)
Keshik - 11 (-4)
Longbowman - 17

This was only a difficult choice because I think both the Chu-Ko-Nu and the Longbowman are both great units. I went with the CKN because 2 shots means faster experience, which can lead to the + range. Their weaker strength is a non-issue due to them being able to shoot twice, plus if you're playing as China you probably have a GG nearby.

The Keshik is a phenomenal unit for its era, but since it loses it's promotions on upgrade, it turns into a slightly better Calvary unit. Now if the promotions transferred (Barrage > Drill) then it would be amazing.

New day, new vote.

Chu-Ko-Nu - 16 (+1)
Keshik - 11
Longbowman - 13 (-4)

Upvoting CKN again, because double attack is just so powerful. I am playing currently as china, and i have machine guns that can attack twice AND have 2 range AND have march promotion. They can kill everything.

Downvoting longbows this time, because extra range is still limited by line of sight. I had that problem with my CKN's when they had 3 range before i upgraded them into gatling guns. Great unit, but in my book CKN is better.

Chu-Ko-Nu - 15
Keshik - 12 (+1)
Longbowman - 13 (-4)
The up-vote for the keshik is for being able to finish games without ever needing to upgrade them. (I've been playing the deity Mongol scenario a lot lately)

I would down-vote both the CKN and LB since they both get glaucoma at their next upgrade. I picked LB since I can't for the life of me see England as having built an empire on the strength of it. So I guess I'm on an oriental kick right now.

The up-vote for the keshik is for being able to finish games without ever needing to upgrade them....

Exactly. I see many posts about the problem with "upgrading my keshiks", and how they will loose their promo value.

Upgrading keshiks? Isn't the game over by then? - Well it should be, even continent games.

Chu-Ko-Nu - 16
Keshik - 12 (+1)
Longbowman - 9 (-4)

Chu-Ko-Nu - 17 (+1)
Keshik - 12
Longbowman - 5 (-4)

Keshik are great units, but they require a strategic resource (horses).
Longbowman are great units too, the extra range it´s great but not as powerfull as the Cho-KO-Nus double atack. Besides with cho-ko-nus you can handle any atack untill Great War Infantary and Infantary, and they´re avaible in medieval era. Keshiks are great only untill renascense, when powerful, but slower knitghts come. Longbowman are great too but become useless in late game.

So Cho-K.O-Nos

Chu-Ko-Nu - 16
Keshik - 13
Longbowman - 1

longbow - a crossbow with +1 range.. that can't shoot over rough terrain... yeah, real impressive..

keshik - so a 5 movement unit, that can move after firing, that gets promotions at double the speed and generates khans at double the speed, which can turn into a +1 range double firing 5 movement unit that can move after firing, is worse than a crossbow with a weaker base attack who can fire twice???? really? because it 'doesnt retain its promotions on upgrade'? well, here's the thing, it *does* retain many of the promotions. it retains march which is simply incredible when paired with the khan, attack, move back across the border into friendly territory and be healing all your damage in the same turn. it retains the double attack (unless that has since been changed and requires blitz now - someone can confirm or deny this) meaning it can attack twice, which can sometimes be the difference between taking out that unit/city or not, it retains the ranged defense promo, which after getting all the other promos on keshiks you should be taking just out of lack of anything else to take (these guys rack of promos incredibly fast, especially with left side honour tree). I also believe they retain the great general and quick study promo (again, someone can confirm or deny this), making getting the relevant melee upgrades that much easier.

Chu-Ko-Nu - 16
Keshik - 14
Longbowman - -3

I think plus one range for ranged units is good, but I don't think it has the offensive capabilities of the Chu or the Keshik

the Keshik's high movement and faster promotions make it extremely dangerous on defense

Chu-Ko-Nu - 17
Keshik - 10

Chu-Ko-Nu: It is wonderful to have two-shots x-bows, those things are able to siege and to kill enemies really effectively. Once upgraded to gatling guns, these things rock

Keshik: really good unit, and one of the best, but it is not so useful once upgraded, as most of the promos earned during that time are for ranged units and they upgrade to melee. They really shine, though, during their era

Chu-Ko-Nu - 13
Keshik - 11

I think ultimately I'm saving a dying horse here because I actually do think the CKN are more powerful and I'm even going to refrain from voting here on out because I think the CKN should win but I just had to vote once more based on personal preference.

I'm a big big fan of the mobility and I tend to unleash the brunt of my damage when the Keshik's come around, less so in later eras. The Keshiks are just my perfect unit of choice in Civ5 and the sole reason why I sometimes pick Mongolia

not unless you provide reasons for your votes

Chu-Ko-Nu - 16
Keshik - 13
Longbowman - 1
:lol: It wasn't a vote. It was a correction. Pay attention.

If you take into account theguy would've have voted against Chu, its now:

Chu-Ko-Nu - 10
Keshik - 11

Chu-Ko-Nu - 11 (+1) 2x strikes yes please
Keshik - 7 (-4) a dead end upgrade path

:lol: It wasn't a vote. It was a correction. Pay attention.

If you take into account theguy would've have voted against Chu, its now:

Chu-Ko-Nu - 10
Keshik - 11

my mistake, you didn't colour code it blue, so i assumed you were voting

+1 AtlAtl

can skip archery research early, great for rushdowns, good to protect your first worker/fight barbs, easy to upgrade to CBs down a short tech path

these are great for small maps!

Chu-Ko-Nu - 7 (-4)
Keshik - 8 (+1)

Unlike Chu-Ko-Nus, Keshiks can actually survive up front and close encounters with Industrial cities because of their 5-movement points.

Chu-Ko-Nu - 8
Keshik - 4

Last vote for me! CKNs all the way because :

-no ressources needed
-Earlier into the tech tree
-Double shot-double promo
China vs Mongols = China wins also from Art of War and Paper makers to make rushes more efficient

Top Bottom