Unique Units suggestions

Swarbs

Emperor
Personally I think some of the UUs for some of the civs could do with a boost / change.

Many of them are very valuable and powerful for the respective civs but I think others either appear out of the UHV timeline or are not really very valuable or strong compared to regular units. Some also just need a bit of a tweak, imo, to reflect their strengths and what made them unique.

In particular:

Almogavar - At the moment just a slightly stronger guisarmer with a city attack bonus which is only slightly better than longswords. I'd say they should be given 1-2 first strikes and access to the drill promotion line to reflect the effectiveness of their javelins

Black Guards - The UU is from the Alaouite era but the UHVs all relate to earlier eras. I think Morocco's UU should be linked to the Berber origins of the earlier dynasties. Maybe a camel archer or a version of the Lamtuma spearman, which I believe is a merc unit in SOI?

English Longbowman - As discussed in another thread, they should become available earlier for England, to coincide with the late 13th century and their widespread use in the Scottish Wars and HYW. I'd say maybe with Chivalry and Guilds?

Tercio - Again a bit late for the majority of the Spanish UHV imo. It's also not as strong as a standard pikeman vs cavalry. Given that the earliest Tercios involved pike and arquebus shot rather than muskets, maybe have it replace the arquebusier? Strength 9 and 50% vs heavy cavalry?

Winged Hussar - Too late to be useful for the Polish UHV imo. Although this is arguably a function of how late the Curaissier unit is in general, at least in my experience. Maybe move the Winger Hussar back to Polygonal Fort? I would suggest Professional Army but that might be too early.

I think the other UUs are largely fine, but any feedback and comments welcome!

I disagree on the Almogavar. I think you underestimate the value of +1 :strength: and you forgot that they are immune to First Strikes so they are very strong against Archery Units.
However, I like your idea of moving the Tercio a bit back. They could counter Knights nicely.

Terico update +1
Almovagars are awesome imo. No need to buff.
Portugals UU feels crap and unuseful. A ship or Explorer unit would be better.
I've never seen enemy field artillery and only once own.
Konnik is the unit u never build. Imo give less but make it armored lancer.
Ushu....Something could use some buff at least +1 strength.
Eng l.bow goto chivalry.
Shelton +1 str.
Huslarls are good but very short living.
Berber cavalry could get some buff too.
Black guards should be arquebusier with gunpowder mabye 10 str and for more hammers.
Landsketch is good but not helpful for player.

I disagree on the Almogavar. I think you underestimate the value of +1 :strength: and you forgot that they are immune to First Strikes so they are very strong against Archery Units.
However, I like your idea of moving the Tercio a bit back. They could counter Knights nicely.

True on the Almogavars. Felt to me like they should get a first strike capability of their own to represent the javelins, but they are strong already, particularly with March.

Terico update +1
Almovagars are awesome imo. No need to buff.
Portugals UU feels crap and unuseful. A ship or Explorer unit would be better.
I've never seen enemy field artillery and only once own.
Konnik is the unit u never build. Imo give less but make it armored lancer.
Ushu....Something could use some buff at least +1 strength.
Eng l.bow goto chivalry.
Shelton +1 str.
Huslarls are good but very short living.
Berber cavalry could get some buff too.
Black guards should be arquebusier with gunpowder mabye 10 str and for more hammers.
Landsketch is good but not helpful for player.

I think the Knight of Aviz is pretty useful - they are my go to city defence unit for Portugal, particularly given they are cheaper than arbalests. Although they do have some overlap with Calatrava. If they are to be replaced, maybe by a square rigged caravel? Replaces caravel or carrack depending on balance, and has one cargo spot which can carry settlers and workers. That would speed the colonisation of the Canaries, Azores and Madeira.

I think Konnik is decent, although would be better if it had its city strength debuff removed, as atm it doesn't really help with the 1st UHV when attacking cities.

Ushunik is quite good already imo. Considering it replaces Macemen, which are already a strong unit, I'm not sure it needs more of a buff.

Sheltron is also strong enough imo with same strength as guisarmer but much better against cav.

Berber cavalry could do with a buff, although maybe see what happens with the Moroccan UU if that becomes a berber type unit.

Making the Black Guards arquebusiers would be very ahistorical imo, and still wouldn't make they really useful for the early Moroccan UHV which is the toughest

Last edited:
Tercio first appeared in the late 15th century if I'm not mistaken
Gunpowder is way too early. Maybe Chemistry?
Also not sure about the Winged Hussars.

Well, maybe we can have them both one tech earlier for now, as a temporary solution.

Tercio first appeared in the late 15th century if I'm not mistaken
Gunpowder is way too early. Maybe Chemistry?
Also not sure about the Winged Hussars.

Well, maybe we can have them both one tech earlier for now, as a temporary solution.

Perhaps with Professional Army, as they advent of the Tercio was as much about the massed use of pikes in formation with muskets or arquebusiers. Could even have it replace the Pikeman and have strength 11 with the same anti cav bonuses, so as to be available around the right time period?

Winged Hussars could also come with Professional Army and without the bonus vs Gunpowder, so they give Poland an early boost as opposed to their current late game dominance?

Last edited:
Top Bottom