Resource icon

[vanilla] Unit Movement in Civilization V (vanilla)

chrin67

Empereur
chrin67 submitted a new resource:

Unit Movement in Civilization V - Unit Movement in Civilization V

Unit Movement in Civilization V
"E pur si muove!" - Galileo Galilei

Introduction
During a game of Civilization V, much of your time will be spent moving units around the world. You’ll be marching your military units off to discover stuff or to fight with your neighbors. Your workers will be moving to new tiles to improve terrain and to construct roads. Your Settlers will be moving to good locations on...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
reserved

Attachments

• Permute1.jpg
    Permute1.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 27,224
  • MoveThrough2.jpg
    MoveThrough2.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 27,133
Nice write-up, but the placement of some of the pictures was a little awkward.

One thing I thought I’d mention, in regard to attacking through another unit, is that I’ve had a few interesting situations happen when attacking cities. Sometimes, when attacking cities, the computer will move my attacking unit, who is 2 tiles away, directly onto another of my units with the following results:

1) If the original unit hasn't already attacked, then neither will be able to do so until I move one into an adjacent unoccupied tile
2) If the original unit has already attacked then
a. If the second unit can capture the city with the attack, it will do so
b. If the second unit is unable to capture the city with the attack, it won’t attack and I’ll get the “Move Stacked Unit” message

With scenario 2b, I’ve been able to leave my unit in the stacked tile, use another unit in another tile to further weaken the city, and then capture the city with the stacked unit.

Sometimes, when attacking cities, the computer will move my attacking unit, who is 2 tiles away, directly onto another of my units

can you provide a screenshot or save game of this situation?

I’ll try to recreate this situation when I get home from work, but it’ll take a bit of time to set it up. I’ve never posted a save game or screenshots before, so I may need some help if my trail-and-error method proves fruitless.

As you can see below the computer chooses to bring my Swordsman up diagonally 2 tiles to the Iron tile to attack on the next turn:

But, as you can see, the attack occurs from on top of the Horseman on the same turn (note the "Move Stacked Unit" message):

I suppose I was wrong about needing to be able to capture the city for this to happen. If I can figure out how to post the save file, I'll edit this post; I'm not very computer savvy :sad:

Edit: I think I figured it out:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=311433&stc=1&d=1326924783

Attachments

• before attack.jpg
    before attack.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 26,459
  • after attack.jpg
    after attack.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 26,389
I tested a similar situation with the current CiV V release (see fig.)

Spoiler fig. :

Indeed it is possible to order to the swordsman to attack the city (right click on the city tile) and although the game displays the right movement path, the swordsman stacks with the horseman and tries to attack (the game asks if "you want to attack anyway" :confused:) BUT there is NO attack if you accept: the unit remains stacked and the game will ask you to "move stacked unit" .

So, it is NOT possible to attack through the horseman even if the game UI behaves very curiously.

Do you use a Mod ?

StackingPb1.jpg

But, as you can see, the attack occurs from on top of the Horseman on the same turn (note the "Move Stacked Unit" message)

i suspect the horse in this instance still had movement points left (allowing you to avoid ending stacked). still interesting that it allows the temporary stacking and attack

Hello, I have a question related to unit movement which I didn't find in this topc:
my knight (which have 4 MP) sometimes but not allways spend all of his movement points while moving on the hill with forest inside enemy teritory, so,
only one tile to move,
inside enemy teritory,
enemy dosn't have the great wall,
knight is not sloved down by ZOC,
it's not crossing a river etc etc
but it expend all 4 movement points to jump onto a hill with forest or jungle.

funny but same thing hapens with tank.
anyone can answer this?

thanks for exelent guide btw :)

Unit Movement Points
  • 2 MP: all units unless otherwise listed
  • 3 MP: galley, knight, cavalry, mechanized infantry, rocket artillery, giant death robot
  • 4 MP: workboat, trireme, chariot archer, horseman, lancer, ironclad, battleship, mobile sam

a standard horseman has 4 MP, but a knight has only 3

Sometimes I find it hard to notice all the rivers especially near the river start. This could be why it happens to your tank.

a standard horseman has 4 MP, but a knight has only 3

Ok, my mistake sorry.
but anyway to jump onto the hill with forest does not cost 3MP.
also I'm shore it's no river there since I've hovered with mouse to see if it's a river and it wasn't :cry:

LOL I didn't know that until now,
thanks for helping me!

Someone please explain to me why a working boat (I think embarked units have the same issue?) can not move through other units (pic1) while one of my ships can do it easily (pic2)?

(I neither had open borders (it's not even their territory anyway) from Greece nor from India and I was also not at war with them.)

Thanks, didn't see that.

What is the reasoning behind it though?

PS: It always felt like I can not block an AI settler from moving through my units... maybe I have to observe that a bit in the future.

Top Bottom