Unit requests thread

Thanks! I really do appreciate your help. Without your assistance, the Pictish mod would not happen. I am creating a front screen for the mod over the weekend. I am going to put your name on the front as the Unit Modeller and will post here soon.

I am very proud of the units we have created so far, and if you are still interested, would like to create a few more. I like to find ways of creating units very simply without a lot of work for you, though I know what you have just completed with the Pictish Sword and Scabbard was much more time consuming for you and thus extra special. :goodjob: Thanks! :)
Sure thing, no problem. It is a interesting project and I like being part of. :)

Had some time now to put the brave mesh onto the Javelineer animation. Please find the unit in the attachment.

Attachments

• Javelineer_Pictish.zip
    48 KB · Views: 112
Thanks

Would you suggest importing into nifskope first or blender?
Hmmm, always did this using Blender. But going through NifSkope first might be less work.

I must be way out of practice because I am simply trying to put Bakuel's Mamluk "Egyptian Rifleman (Sudanese)" on a Cavalry unit (i.e. to be the rider) and I can't figure it out. I changed the names of the nodes but it seems there is a missing node on the Cavalry unit (Pelvis). Could anybody either tell me what to do or do this for me?

Sure thing, no problem. It is a interesting project and I like being part of. :)

Had some time now to put the brave mesh onto the Javelineer animation. Please find the unit in the attachment.

Thanks again! Good to have you be a part of it! :D

I have put together the first version of the Menu Screen (and loading screen), enclosed for your viewing :)

Thinking of an idea for the next Pict Brave Unit... There are two units we could create out of one...

1. Pict Brave with twin Hatchet Axes (as held by the Pict Brave with the square shield).
2. Pict Brave with a Pictish Sword in right hand and Pictish Hatchet in the left hand

... after artworking/skinning, they will look quite different, though they would use the same animations and mesh...

However, I'm not sure how possible this unit will be. It would involve using the basic Brave body you created and attaching it to the Beserker Scout animations (created by GarretSidzaka).

If it is possible with not too much work on your behalf, then it would be a two handed unit, that would have slightly different fighting animations to the Swordsmaster we created, thus keeping the Swordmaster unique.

If it is possible, I wonder if it would also be possible to have a more natural at ease stance... as the basic Beserker stance is hunched over and seems quite odd (but maybe ok for a Viking :lol:)

What are your thoughts? (file attached)
If its too much work, no worries, I can think of something else.

Attachments

• Picts - FrontScreen V1.jpg
    Picts - FrontScreen V1.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 137
  • PictBravesSoFar.jpg
    PictBravesSoFar.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Pict Braves.jpg
    Pict Braves.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Cait_Brave4.zip
    391.2 KB · Views: 132
Anyone feel like team-coloring some Turbans for me? I think the whole community would appreciate it too... these are Bakuel's units BTW, and they should be useable as UUs. Think about it...

EDIT: Or, to whomever takes this up, you could team-color whatever you'd like so long as it is obvious and makes sense.

Attachments

• Indian UU.zip
    167.1 KB · Views: 140
Thanks again! Good to have you be a part of it! :D

I have put together the first version of the Menu Screen (and loading screen), enclosed for your viewing :)

Thinking of an idea for the next Pict Brave Unit... There are two units we could create out of one...

1. Pict Brave with twin Hatchet Axes (as held by the Pict Brave with the square shield).
2. Pict Brave with a Pictish Sword in right hand and Pictish Hatchet in the left hand

... after artworking/skinning, they will look quite different, though they would use the same animations and mesh...

However, I'm not sure how possible this unit will be. It would involve using the basic Brave body you created and attaching it to the Beserker Scout animations (created by GarretSidzaka).

If it is possible with not too much work on your behalf, then it would be a two handed unit, that would have slightly different fighting animations to the Swordsmaster we created, thus keeping the Swordmaster unique.

If it is possible, I wonder if it would also be possible to have a more natural at ease stance... as the basic Beserker stance is hunched over and seems quite odd (but maybe ok for a Viking :lol:)

What are your thoughts? (file attached)
If its too much work, no worries, I can think of something else.

I have a bit of a question after seeing this. Is this one Pictish civ or are there going to be a few?

I have a bit of a question after seeing this. Is this one Pictish civ or are there going to be a few?

Its going to be two, the largest tribes of the northern Highlands, the Caittan and the Caledon. The two tribes will also have a mixture of Units from other tribes (i.e. the Caledon may have some Taexali charioteers etc.)

The process involves working on one set of Units for the Caittan, then when finished I will re-skin various units for the Caledon. In future versions its my eventual intention to add and Southern Iceni tribe under Boudicca, and a Scottish Civ, but initial release will be the Cait and the Caledon.

The problem I have is that I cannot get nifskope and blender to work properly on the Mac. It's a real pain. I have modelled in other software before, so I do have some skills, and if I could get it to work I could complete this quicker and not need to rely on your good will and nature ;) Alas this is not the case.

I've never tried Blender, but I've had NifSkope working fine on my Mac for a couple years now. I could send it (and it's required frameworks) to you if you like. Let me know.

I've never tried Blender, but I've had NifSkope working fine on my Mac for a couple years now. I could send it (and it's required frameworks) to you if you like. Let me know.

Hmm I am intrigued!

Blender seems to work better than NifSkope, in that I can actually view files.

NifSkope seems very unstable on a Mac. I don't like the way you have to install Nifskope into invisible files on the Mac rather than working with a software designed for the Mac where you just open the software and use it. I already had a few issues with that.

The problem is that my Mac is not a hobby computer, its for my work, so I cant afford to start messing about, having something go wrong, then spending the next couple weeks trying to solve an issue. My livelyhood depends on my Mac remaining stable.

Though if you have a copy that is an all in one software, like other Mac software, where you just click and it opens, I would be very very glad to have and try out a copy. The one I had was like a PC software, where different codes have to be put into different directories. It caused a big nightmare for me.

What OSX are you using?

I'm on 10.8.4 but I've had Nifskope working since Snow Leopard. No invisible files, but it does require having the Qt framework installed. I can send you the specific installer package for that which contains the necessary libraries and none of the bloat. These libraries will be installed in /Library/Frameworks/ and won't mess with your system unless you already have a more recent version of Qt installed for something else (easy to check in advance).

Anyway, here it is if you want to try it: NifSkope Mac

You can place the NifSkope app wherever you want. Check in /Library/Frameworks/ to see if there are any files starting with "Qt" in there. If there are, try launching NifSkope as you may already have what you need. If not, it's safe to run the installer included. Let me know if you have any problems.

I'm on 10.8.4 but I've had Nifskope working since Snow Leopard. No invisible files, but it does require having the Qt framework installed. I can send you the specific installer package for that which contains the necessary libraries and none of the bloat. These libraries will be installed in /Library/Frameworks/ and won't mess with your system unless you already have a more recent version of Qt installed for something else (easy to check in advance).

Anyway, here it is if you want to try it: NifSkope Mac

You can place the NifSkope app wherever you want. Check in /Library/Frameworks/ to see if there are any files starting with "Qt" in there. If there are, try launching NifSkope as you may already have what you need. If not, it's safe to run the installer included. Let me know if you have any problems.

Wow thanks! :)

That is very kind and helpful. I installed it and it opens ok and I can see the model, albeit a white model. I just need to learn how to use it and try a few things. My hopes are up that I may be able to do a few simple bits and pieces.

It looks a bit more complicated that blender. Do you know of a manual in pdf form, or some place I can get some info on how to use?

Wow thanks! :)

That is very kind and helpful. I installed it and it opens ok and I can see the model, albeit a white model. I just need to learn how to use it and try a few things. My hopes are up that I may be able to do a few simple bits and pieces.

It looks a bit more complicated that blender. Do you know of a manual in pdf form, or some place I can get some info on how to use?

Not a problem, always happy to help a fellow Mac modder, I know all too well how challenging it can be.

To solve the white models, go into NifSkope's preferences, click 'Add Folder', enter "./" (without the quotes), and hit return. This will tell NifSkope to search in the same folder as the .nif for any textures. Ticking 'Look for Alternatives' will allow it to use textures of a different format than what's specified in the .nif file. For example, if the .nif specifies 'texture.dds', it NifSkope can't find that it will try 'texture.png' or 'texture.tga' instead. Useful for testing texture changes without the need to convert to .dds with every change. (Do you have a .dds converter? If not, I recommend Aorta).

There's no pdf manual that I'm aware of, but there are some great tutorials available in the tutorials forum here on CFC. The Windows version of NifSkope is more recent than this converted Mac one so very occasionally you come across a .nif that you can't save changes to. Vast majority are fine though. There's some minor UI differences (e.g the tree view is a lot uglier on Mac than Windows) but other than that, everything discussed in those tutorials should work on this Mac version.

Anyone feel like team-coloring some Turbans for me? I think the whole community would appreciate it too... these are Bakuel's units BTW, and they should be useable as UUs. Think about it...

EDIT: Or, to whomever takes this up, you could team-color whatever you'd like so long as it is obvious and makes sense.

Have you checked Charle88's teamcolouring tut? It worked for me

Not a problem, always happy to help a fellow Mac modder, I know all too well how challenging it can be.

To solve the white models, go into NifSkope's preferences, click 'Add Folder', enter "./" (without the quotes), and hit return. This will tell NifSkope to search in the same folder as the .nif for any textures. Ticking 'Look for Alternatives' will allow it to use textures of a different format than what's specified in the .nif file. For example, if the .nif specifies 'texture.dds', it NifSkope can't find that it will try 'texture.png' or 'texture.tga' instead. Useful for testing texture changes without the need to convert to .dds with every change. (Do you have a .dds converter? If not, I recommend Aorta).

There's no pdf manual that I'm aware of, but there are some great tutorials available in the tutorials forum here on CFC. The Windows version of NifSkope is more recent than this converted Mac one so very occasionally you come across a .nif that you can't save changes to. Vast majority are fine though. There's some minor UI differences (e.g the tree view is a lot uglier on Mac than Windows) but other than that, everything discussed in those tutorials should work on this Mac version.

Ah thanks for the tips. :goodjob:

I do indeed use Aorta, but I suspect the use of Nifscope to test out potential textures is going to speed things up for me. As for everything else I imagine it is going to be a long process of trial and error. Overall I think this is going to make life a little easier... though I suspect I wont be creating my own models anytime soon... :crazyeye: So SaibotLieh, do not abandon me just yet !!! :lol:

Big Thanks Xyth :)

Question: Does anyone know of a mod where there is a Roman civ, with every single unit being Roman instead of being the standard civ4 units?

roman skinned or unique units for every standard?

roman skinned or unique units for every standard?

Either I guess. I mean every single unit looks Roman, whether skinned that way, or using Roman unique units for each unit... Not including modern units, just ancient through industrial. ????

Top Bottom