• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Upcoming Poll - City 6

I don't read any deception in :king:'s post... :king: actually did not try to speed up the poll, it was already past the deadline. I was the one who suggested a 12 hour deadline instead of a 24 hour one. :king: just offered that it was OK to go ahead and post the poll right away. I am trying to hold the poll up because Cavscout, Herviov and Provo requested it, and because the Don has requested that deadlines be more flexible in general... No need for the polling issue to become more contentious than it already is, right Provo (and everybody else)? ;)

Due to barb activity we are having to delay our worker actions anyway :(

My dotmap will be available in an hour or so. I was correcting like hell

First, I distinguish between two important hypotheses. First (Blue), I try to maximize our usage of national wonders and run for the exploitation of the Syr-Darya valley. The second Hypothesis goes for a quick access to our western resources. I definitely prefer Hypothesis 1

1(Blue)]

City 5 goes as planned and city 6 goes on tundra spot. Moai statues and National park are maximized. Note that the National Park and Whale cities are not numbered as they are considered as more mid-game cities. We have hereditary rule right now and for probably a while so there is no rush for luxury resources.

Yes, city 7 is displaced and does not have the Wheat resource. The Reason is that it would be an hardcore production city with nothing but Farms and mines (or so). It will be fine with biology in terms of food and no issues of overpopulation will be too much to handle before civil service (and windmill). Slower growth put production powerhouse. Excellent candidate for Ironworks.

Cities 8, 9, and 10 have an excellent umbrella formation the facilitate defence. City 8 is on a hill and have lot of resources. More commercial city. City 9 is an hybrid. It will take the shape that we need at the time. City 10 makes use of marginal space. This formation would allow a fast and secure deployment, would fog bust toward the Altai mountains and make use of the foreseeable available land of the Syr-Darya valley (Cav and sancta must be going for their own part of it right now). The 8-9-10 order is made in order to take the best spots first than make it a bit irrational for a third party to go for the 10th spot if we already got 8 and 9. The exact location of city 8 to 10 could vary but you guys get the general idea. Depending on what is on the other side of the Altai mountain, 10 pink might be better. In fact it is most probably better as the overlap is severely decreased.

In this hypothesis, Whale city (WC) is founded before National park city to fog bust and get Whale eventually. Whale city would work one grasshill with mine + water tiles until windmills if it is founded before we get civil service. We are financial so coastal tiles aren't unworthy of simply being worked. This is called marginal land usage.

2 (Green) ]

We go for faster then fast iron. West is now more or less unusable. There is some sort of National park city candidate. That would make a extreme occident city unlikely due to food concerns. The only ways to make this place interesting is either the National park or massive irrigation and deforestation. An iron city on the hill spot takes two forest tiles away from a national park and gives us a nasty tundra tile. There might be a possibility for a coastal city, but what about food? A coastal city easter than Whale city of hypothesis 1 would make it hard to use the inland space. Actually using the layer of hypothesis 1 anyway with the iron city on the hill might be a better idea. Considering the food issues of the region, overlap might not even be an issue. It wouldn't be smart to lower the position of city 7 as even biology would barely feed the whole place. And cities 8 to 10 need to be that high in order to be three and not over each others.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 167
Having a city like 7 in hypothesis one would propel our unit production capacity to a new level quite quickly with two or three farms on grassland tiles rolling and the according mines. Deforestation would allow it to be up and running quickly by rushing a granary and a forge (if available).

Here is a variation on hyp2. Food remain a major issue in the west, but 7, with cows and wheat, become a production city faster, but with a lower potential. If it was one of our firt cities I might feel an hurry and go for that layout, but considering by that Oskemen and Pavlodar will be quite developed by the time 7 would be a good production city under any scenario, I think we can go for the slower but ultimately more productive city.

Attachments

• Hyp2West.JPG
    Hyp2West.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Hyp2north.JPG
    Hyp2north.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 218
Good analysis!

I think after our iron city building a city in either of your #7 locations will be very helpful. That will form a natural bottleneck for the barbs and will leave our core cities quite protected.

Do we know how close Team cav is to the west? Grabbing land in the middle will be a race between us, them, and Sancta. A possible idea is to tech (music?) for the free GA and culture bomb the central part of the land mass.

I like the idea of a culture bomb around city 8 or 9. That would be a huge pain in the ass of either cav or sancta as these will likely be frontier cities with them (I suspect that the area just north of the Altai mountains might be available for us, but I doubt will get much more north of 8. That would stretch us and provoke some reaction from Sancta as we would be developing straight toward their core. And right now, they seem to have the upper hand militarily. But a Delayed cultural bomb might do the trick ;)

Thing is, at that point they likely won't have catapults. A culture bombed city would be damn hard to take with no siege units.

Herviov's Dotmap is now posted on this thread... Thanks Herviov:)

It seems that the Dotmap assumes two options for our 6th city. One option would place it on the Tundra square, and one option would place it on the tundra hill, so I think we are ready to poll the choice. I will post the poll now.

Top Bottom