Upgrade of Elites

Heretiv

Warlord
OK, just trying to check something.

Apparently elite units or armies upgrade when their unit type becomes obsolete.

Are there any extra conditions for this?

Also, can anyone explain how tech 'backfilling' works - it sounds like free techs and a duplicate of the Great Library wonder to me.

Only german elites upgrade and they only upgrade when the new technology is gained, so if you have elite warriors and research Iron Working, they become legions. This is a one-time deal. If your non-elite warriors later become elite, they won't upgrade. Also, if you skip a tech, they won't ever upgrade. So if you don't research Iron Working but go straight up to Feudalism, your warriors won't become knights.

The only other way to upgrade is to build Leonardo's Workshop, which works just like the German ability. All your units upgrade at once, but again if there are gaps in your tech, they won't upgrade.

Backfilling gives you free techs provided somebody else already has it researched and you are currently completing a tech at more beakers than the tech you'll get for free's cost. Example: You haven't researched Pottery yet, but France is in the game (starts with Pottery). You are currently making 25 beakers per turn and you complete Ceremonial Burial. You get Pottery for free. If you also lacked Bronze Working and somebody had it, you'd get that too. It's possible to get a big pile of techs for free by setting all your cities to gold and just expanding for a while, then flipping back to tech for a big backfill, but of course you won't get any first to research bonuses.

Right.. the German thing is probably what I was missing - or use of Leonardo..
I got the impression that the upgrade thing was a key game mechanic to make you 'value your units' more.
I mean an elite warrior is nice in industrial era, but they won't be doing much useful attacking, will they?

Right.. the German thing is probably what I was missing - or use of Leonardo..
I got the impression that the upgrade thing was a key game mechanic to make you 'value your units' more.
I mean an elite warrior is nice in industrial era, but they won't be doing much useful attacking, will they?

Depends on how soon you get to industrial, I guess. Units can just go obsolete in this game. Sometimes you might as well sell them. But even if your enemy has tanks and you have a warrior that can't be upgraded, you could still use him as a scout or something.

The other thing you can do is play the English, get to modern for double naval support and build a battleship fleet. Your naval support will be +58.5 meaning that a simple warrior will have 59.5 on both attack and defense. English units never go obsolete. I have used warriors to beat modern infantry armies online (yeah, my opponent was unhappy).

One difference between the German ability and Leo's is that the German ability necessarily only moves the units up one rung of the ladder, i.e. warrior to legion, legion to knight and so on. Leo's will shoot you straight up to your most advanced unit of the relevant type. Warriors can become tanks if you can Leo's is still available that late.

Top Bottom