Useless Praetorians

So true, and I will be doing it again.

Kubli Khan in change of China also looks like fun.

Kublai Khan was in charge of China.

Well this is a first, someone complains that the Roman UU is not powerful enough. Im not sure wheter to cry at you horrible gaming skill or laugh because it is a joke

I haven't heard this one in a while. I'm still on the side of making the roman UU weaker. I have only played as rome twice in CivIV (once was a huge highlands map on marathon speed, I built a 5 stacks of 15 praets, but no one was close :( , the other time I played them I quit by 1000 AD because it wasn't fun anymore)

They are given 10 points of strenght (then the cost of building them shoul be pushed up 50 % or 100%) :deadhorse:

That is the single most... UNHOLY suggestion I have ever heard. Are you aware that musketmen only have a power of 9? I genuinely hope for your sake that this is an odd joke :D

Well, the OP has not responded even once... hmm, I think we can safely assume this thread is just for yucks.

Every time I play as the Romans it's a sure win, those Praets are unstoppable in the ancient to middle ages, I can even get out of my comfort zone and go up one level and STILL win. If they made 'em any stronger no one would play any thing else BUT Roman.

To balance them, I'd suggest adding these small tweaks...

Ability to build roads
Ability to build improvements.
Ability to build forts.
Ability to build cities.
Ability to walk on mountains.
Ability to act as a Great Engineer and Great Military Instructor in one.
All Praetorians should start as if they are an attached Great Leader
Ability to walk on water.
Ability to click next button for you.
Ability to guarantee Iron resource near any Roman settlement ;)
Ability to make you coffee in the morning.

With these slight adjustments, we can finally enjoy a balanced game.

What they don't do windows?

To balance them, I'd suggest adding these small tweaks...

Ability to build roads
Ability to build improvements.
Ability to build forts.
Ability to build cities.
Ability to walk on mountains.
Ability to act as a Great Engineer and Great Military Instructor in one.
All Praetorians should start as if they are an attached Great Leader
Ability to walk on water.
Ability to click next button for you.
Ability to guarantee Iron resource near any Roman settlement ;)
Ability to make you coffee in the morning.
Ability to clean the windows.

With these slight adjustments, we can finally enjoy a balanced game.
k fixed for the guy above me.
>.>
<.<
>.<

What about the ability automatically kill any units withen 5 squares with lazers that come out of their eyes?

lol history sim

It's a game. If one faction always wins militarily, it's a really crappy game. Making Praets able to go up against anything they fight and win regardless of troop composition and #s would just be silly.

I agree. nerf the window cleaning out and then they'd be ok.

Though to be fair, they should be able to launch nukes AND start a golden age at the same time.

Personally, I think that they should lose their strength bonus, but gain a road (and maybe fort)-building ability(and of course be called Legions, not Praetorians). Perhaps a few other unit should gain a few worker abilities too, like elephants being used to clear jungles.

Bravo on the trolling, Kurgan. A lot of people took the bait.

I always thought that in CIV IV the roman UU was too weak. As Firaxis try to add a historical flavor to these units according to their historical abilities, I thought that maybe they will fix the roman UU adding maybe the skill of building roads, or an extra movement point. The case is that now in BTS this unit is not something near to what the legions were, it is useless against almost all other units. I will not have any problem with that if thart was what happened in history, but it was the other way, no other army was a macht to the roman legions as long as they were kept "roman" and "legions", the legions that were defeated by the barbarians were as legions as I am a good singer. So I htink any of these ideas will balance BTS for praetorians:

- To give them a special ability such as extra movement, or roadbuilding

or

- Roman UU does not suffer penalty against other melee units

or

- They are given 10 points of strenght (then the cost of building them shoul be pushed up 50 % or 100%) :deadhorse:

This is historically inaccurate. Rome won wars based on their organization and resources, not on fighting skill. See Hannibal for instance--without any support from back home, he kept destroying Roman armies, but Rome kept raising more. Rome kept grinding away in its eastern wars, too.

Similarly, the Allies won in WWII with sheer economic might. It's not that the Red Army, British/ANZAC, or US soldiers were better, but they just kept grinding away and eventually wore down the Wehrmacht through sheer numbers, air superiority, and capitalizing on intel breakthroughs and Hitler's idiotic excuse for military strategy.

Ditto! Prets are worthless because of all the hidden costs they incur when they conquer dozens of enemy cities before I research markets. Firaxis needs to stop nerfing them and give them an extra bonus---free courthouse effects!!! That way the cities they conquer aren't so darn expensive. Yea and maybe they should have a fear power-up too, so like the enemy archers just run away from their cities when standing next to a pret. It's so unbalancing that the enemy gets to garrison cities with archers. Firaxis sucks for this game design oversight!

j/k

What about the ability automatically kill any units withen 5 squares with lazers that come out of their eyes?

:goodjob: They should consume their enemies with fireballs from their eyes and lightning bolts from their arses.

Top Bottom