Uses for each religion

A Moon

The "A" is silent
(I can't think of a good way to start or introduce this post. Blech.)

• The Order: Getting rid of unhappiness. Also, better recruiting. Kinda simple.
  • The Ashen Veil: Sacrifice the Weak for easier growth. Playing as Hyborem. Um. Am I missing something? For a religion that needs KotE, there doesn't seem to be that much for the arcane line here.
  • Runes of Kilmorph: Hammers and money. Anything else?
  • The Fellowship of Leaves: Used to be easy happiness and health. Now? Lumbermilled ancent forests on a river are awesome for hammers and commerce, but how do you know how many windmills and farms to make? (Especially when you aren't elves.)
  • The Octopus Overlords: Win the sea.
  • The Empyrean: Chalid and easy overcouncil votes.
  • The Council of Esus: The Nox Noctis, Gibbon Goetia, the Nox Noctis, surprise attacks, the Nox Noctis, and a load of promotions. And the Nox Noctis.
  • The White Hand: Playing as Auric Ulvin or Taranis. Does anyone else have a use for this? The Doviello, perhaps? Seems to me that most civilizations just get owned by having all their land turned to somewhat useless ice.

What have I missed?

(I can't think of a good way to start or introduce this post. Blech.)

• The Order: Getting rid of unhappiness. Also, better recruiting. Kinda simple.
  • The Ashen Veil: Sacrifice the Weak for easier growth. Playing as Hyborem. AC, lots of fun for sadists and masochists alike. Um. Am I missing something? For a religion that needs KotE, there doesn't seem to be that much for the arcane line here.
  • Runes of Kilmorph: Hammers and money. Anything else?
  • The Fellowship of Leaves: Used to be easy happiness and health. Now? Lumbermilled ancent forests on a river are awesome for hammers and commerce, but how do you know how many windmills and farms to make? (Especially when you aren't elves.)
  • The Octopus Overlords: Win the sea. No Unhappiness from Whatever-that-Mind-Stapling-Wonder-was-called again. Especially when you're Lanun you got lots of Food in your capital.
  • The Empyrean: Chalid and easy overcouncil votes. And Chalid. And Chalid. Bonus: Altar Victory.
  • The Council of Esus: The Nox Noctis, Gibbon Goetia, the Nox Noctis, surprise attacks, the Nox Noctis, and a load of promotions. And the Nox Noctis. Added challenge. Like having no religion except that the rest of the world hates you. -.- To be fair, the better intel from your Shadows is quite decent in MP.
  • The White Hand: Playing as Auric Ulvin or Taranis. Does anyone else have a use for this? The Doviello, perhaps? Seems to me that most civilizations just get owned by having all their land turned to somewhat useless ice. Religious Victory, making your enemies more miserable then you are by talking them into converting to WH. (Doviello + Jotnar) Drifa. But by the time you get her you have either won already (because the rest of the world is starving) or you have already lost (because the AI refused to convert).

What have I missed?

Fixed

AC, lots of fun for sadists and masochists alike.
So nothing overly useful for non Sheaim players then.
No Unhappiness from Whatever-that-Mind-Stapling-Wonder-was-called again.
Aren't the Order High priests better for that? No penalties, and there're four of them. Also, you can just switch away from OO after you build the tower anyway.
The Empyrean: And Chalid. And Chalid. Bonus: Altar Victory.
How does the empyrean help altar victories?
The Council of Esus: Added challenge. Like having no religion except that the rest of the world hates you. -.- To be fair, the better intel from your Shadows is quite decent in MP. Nox Noctis Nox Noctis Nox Noctis God I love the Nox Noctis. Edit: Oh yeah, you don't need to switch to Esus for that. Dang.

The White Hand: Religious Victory How?, making your enemies more miserable then you are by talking them into converting to WH. (Doviello + Jotnar) True. Drifa. But by the time you get her you have either won already (because the rest of the world is starving) or you have already lost (because the AI refused to convert). Exactly.

Empyrean: High Priests of Death? Don't forget them.

Ah. Chalid + his inferior clones. Danke.

Empyrean has bonuses to Priest IIRC, which stacks well with the Priest bonuses from the Altars, which allows for a Priest economy, which leads to more Great Prophets and more Altar levels.

hmmm i find a larger purpose of most religions listed, there was only RoK and FoL that was described correctly imo ;)

Order - Also good for building armies (temple gives military production), and also a neat way to prevent anger / maintanance costs in city (High Priests ftw) also Sphener + High Priests with command IV Promo = Big army kindly given by the enemy :p

Empyrean - hmm i only see a point in priest spam and the extra overcouncil votes

CoE - nice for extra promotions, easy way to spread (100% sure to spread when manually spreading), Shadowriders, easy to look at the defence of other CoE citys (when your the finder), and the benefit of having a religion without the hatred from other civs

Octopus Overlords - Tower of Complacency = No Anger yippee, Sygian Guards seem to be the powerfullest relgious based unit that isnt a world / national unit, Hemah is a capable defender, and Saverous is a unit that proves effective in early / mid and late game times (provided he has mithril weapons)

Ashen Veil - What do i have to say, give up looking like a kind person to flood your enemies with Diseased Corpses / Beasts of Ageres and get increased :science: whilst your at it :D

in the end i always end up with the same thought...

The power i can gain from being evil far surpasses the need to look like a kind person :D ... wait, i wonder if thats why AI leaders dislike me so much :p

Glaciers and Crystal Plains. For a non-Illian/Doviello/Jotnar Civ, that's 2 food and a coin, and .5 health. And improvements take 75% longer to build on it.

As for the Citadel of the Hand (I think it was mentioned somewhere that it could do with a new name. "The Spire of Winter" perhaps? Meh. Nevermind.), I could, if I really wanted to, just found the religion and let the citadel auto-spread it, without worrying about terrain-death

Also, hell terrain immunity... Will it be important for Good leaders who are already immune anyway? (If so, cool.)

Glaciers and Crystal Plains. For a non-Illian/Doviello/Jotnar Civ, that's 2 food and a coin, and .5 health. And improvements take 75% longer to build on it.

As for the Citadel of the Hand (I think it was mentioned somewhere that it could do with a new name. "The Spire of Winter" perhaps? Meh. Nevermind.), I could, if I really wanted to, just found the religion and let the citadel auto-spread it, without worrying about terrain-death

Also, hell terrain immunity... Will it be important for Good leaders who are already immune anyway? (If so, cool.)

The improvements should probably change.

However, like I said; Hell Terrain will be reworked eventually. And yes, it would be important for good leaders. Even Lawful Good leaders.

Glacial terrain is only ok, and it's only good on rivers where it equals river grassland yields. Plus you have to get your yields destroyed by ice for quite a few turns before you get glacial terrain.

Hell terrain spread relies on whether Hyborem is summoned, which in turn relies on whether AV ever takes off - which it doesn't always. It's a bit of a niche role, I'd like to think that every other religion is useful for at least something regardless of what the circumstances are.

It's a niche role right now. That does not mean it must always remain so. ;)

Dun Dun Dun DAAAAAAAAA!

Soyeah. Now I'm looking forward to future RifE even moreso than before. Yay.

Won't be 1.31.
How did I guess?

Also note: The spell changes would bring with them changes to the religions. ;)

DundunmehhmoredramaticmusicthatIdon'tfeellikemaking. I'm thirsty. Good night. Have fun doing whatever it is you do when you aren't developing mods or sleeping. But have more fun developing the mods. And less fun sleeping. Slacker. :p

I can never remember which religion that gets the free acolyte when it spreads to a new city.
Order or Empyrean.
Which ever it is, that is awesome to get a religion victory (spread early to the AI, and it will win the game for you).

Also, one of those have that excellent maintenance reducing building, which can help mid-game growth a lot.

Runes can somewhat easily have such a high gold production, that you can spread almost indefinitely.
I have just run a Bannor game with RoK, where I had 100% research the whole time. It works better with the Bannor, as some of their units are free (with the right promotions that is). And I was still swimming in gold.

(I tried to setup a AI-team game, where each AI were a team of two, and I were alone. Still too easy. The AI really needs to spread more, and especially needs to prioritise improving it's land more, the game before this, I ran one where the Calabim hadn't improved one single tile in the entire game! And they discovered the FoL religion...)

Hey. I just spent two hours straight working on it. That's not slacking. :p

(Out of character: Thanks, you and the whole RifE team are awesome, I just want to make sure you know that.)
In character: But you could have spent three hours on it! But you didn't! And do you know why? Because you hate democracy!

Top Bottom