[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

The small chance someone is working on this mod, here's my wishlist for any further content:

A few new civilisations: Poland, Bantu and Polynesia would be fine additions I think.
Civic reshuffle: let's make Serfdom actually useful for a start. Most other civics are useful at some point or another, but Serfdom is still worthless even for managing revolutions.
Some new scenarios: there seems to be endless varieties of earth map but the only historical one is the Napoleonic Wars map, which is hell on my computer. Not sure how it runs for others. Oh and the 300BC map, which is also hell for my computer.

Overall though, an amazing mod. Best I've played. Hope to see new life breathed into it soon!

Hey Mud,

I’m still playing, and enjoying, this mod. I don’t enable revolutions, but I like the slightly expanded tech tree and the units that fill in gaps in eras (e.g. Bombard, Ironclad Cruiser). I also like how it supports larger-than-Large maps and more than 18 Civs. A lot of other mods do some of the same things, but many are too unlike BtS (entirely new resources or tech tree/rules) or too like it (no improved AI). LoR is the proverbial Baby Bear’s Porridge for me.

I heavily customize my settings – for example, I turn off Vassals and turn on Permanent Alliances. When it looks like I’m about to run away with a game in the Industrial period, boom – the #2 and #4 AI ally themselves and suddenly they research twice as fast. Nice challenge, IMO.

The Poles used to be in LoR. As was Hitler. And many Civs had multiple UUs. For some reason that was taken out (redundancy perhaps with the extra AIs and UUs?).

I’d like to see some modifications, too, but I recognize that in some cases, less is more. For example, I like K-Mod too, but there are so many (admittedly, minor) changes that I can’t keep up.

Questions/suggestions:

Does anyone ever manage to get those awesome Spy promos? As things stand, I think it’s impossible to start a Spy with more than 5 XP. A successful mission (if the spy isn’t caught) only gains 1 XP, and then you have to ship the Spy all the way back to the front line from the Capital. That makes it very hard for spies to accumulate promos.

Is it me, or are Legio X and Trafalgar Square both vastly overpowered? TS gives Colossus benefit without expiring, AND local shipbuilding bonuses for a relatively low cost. And a 3-move Blitz unit in the early Classical period makes conquest easy – it racks up XP very quickly and soon becomes very powerful.

Great to hear someone else is enjoying this mod!

I agree with your suggestion that Legio X is very overpowered. In fact, I'd say the Legends aspect of the mod is my least favourite. It's an interesting concept, having Wonder-like units, but it disrupts the flow of normal battles far too much. It's not fun throwing 10 swordsman units against a Legend to take it down.
I think it would have been a better idea to make units become Legends over time - as they win battles, their fame and renown increase. An improved promotion system is what I'm asking for, I suppose.

It's a pity about Poland! I think they'd make a fine civilisation, and I can't imagine why they'd be removed from the mod after being added.

I like the Legends - they're fun - but you're right, they're unbalanced. And the AI usually doesn't use them right. I've had AI Barbary Corsairs lunge at a stack of my Frigates... and even when the Corsair won, it left itself with too few moves to survive the next turn.

My Legio generally gets to 27 xp ahead of anything other than a super-healer. Then it gets a Warlord attached to it, a bunch of free upgrades, and poof! 3-move Tank with +75 STR and a ton of first strikes.

Minor annoyance - on the bottom right of the screen where the civ names are displayed, the religion of each civ icon has disappeared and I can't seem to find how to get it back. Any thoughts?

My best guess is to try ctrl-alt-O - it's likely one of the BUG options.

I was looking for a way to have more than 20 Civs show on the scoreboard (without having to page down). Probably a BUG option too, but do you know the shortcut?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried the BUG menu but to no avail. I think it may be an actual bug.

As for your query, I think the same BUG menu can help you. Click on the scoreboard tab, and change "maximum civilisations" at the bottom of the screen to 0. If there's too many civilisations, though, they'll just get cut off the top of the screen.

I've been playing using this mod recently and have been having a blast, it really adds so much more to Civ that should have been there in the first place! :D

However I find that there are no state religion icons on the scoreboard - making it cumbersome to have to enter the dialog screen to discover each Civ's religion. I did a quick scan through the LoR options and couldn't find any option to enable this, does anyone know if there's a way I can get these icons? :D

Hi PsychopathicWarmonger,
My post just before yours asks the exact same question :lol: unfortunately, I think it's a bug in the game. Since it seems this mod isn't updated any more, it may be something we just have to live with.

Oh, sorry I just glanced over the last few posts, and figured that if the question was asked it must've been a dozen pages or so back. XD
It's a great mod regardless, just an inconvenience not to see the religions. :\
Hopefully someone with skill in Python can fix it in the future.

The weird thing is that the religion icons are present in my game.

I'm playing v0.9.9... otherwise, I have no idea what I did to get them. I've looked all through the BUG screens.

I took a look at it a while back. I haven't installed it - frankly, the defender withdrawal mod seems like it would nerf Legends, which are a big reason I find LoR fun.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried the History Rewritten mod, which has a similar component called Civil Wars. Each city has a dissent meter, and when it's full rebellious cities will rise up against you. I like some facets of dissent better - for one, it is explained in numbers, so the exact problems can always be seen. However, LoR has the cool feature of barbarian cities forming their own civilisations and potentially dominating too.
I'm curious to see people's opinions of both mods.

Regards
salty mud

Hi! I love this mod and these days it's basically 99% of all Civ that I Play now. I noticed that some of you were sad to see Hitler and Poland go away. I thought I had the newest version and in mine they are still in it. I love all the skins for some of the more popular countries. I would love to see some more Legends and UU's like T-34, Zero, FW, and the Sherman. Is there anyone still working on this mod? Is there a way to add more to my version of the game?

Recently starting playing Civ 4 again because it's the best one. Played several LoR games and love them. However, I turned off wonders in my latest game and I have been struggling with revolt status. The civics say that despotism causes +4 local and +4 empire instability and +50% city distance instability, so I researched hereditary which says +2 local and +3 national instability and +20% city distance instability. However when I switched to hereditary, the revolt threat got WORSE in all 10 of my cities..... I'm at my wits end here. I also built a harbor in my most remote city because I read that it would help reduce the distance penalty but it made no difference as far as I can tell. The only thing that seems to work is bribing. I can't figure out how the "financial trouble" is calculated either. I'm running 50% science without deficit spending and have a relatively large early game empire at 10 cities but all my cities complain of "financial trouble". It seems like putting more workers into commerce/water tiles helps but I'm not sure. What do I have to do to stay out of "financial trouble"?????

Update:. More play has taught me that the mod just punishes too much expansion too early. Also I learned that the revolt counter increases a lot during revolts and civic revolutions and then seems to taper back to normal after a few turns. Also distant cities will often want to join a more local empire even if that empire sucks. As a result, completely destroying an opponent is much better than leaving it with a couple cities.

Last edited:
I encountered a bug: Ottoman Wounded Knee joined me by revolutions, but instead of the city changing hands I got this python exception (see attached docx). Attached preceding saves

Attachments

• WoundedKneeCantJoin.docx
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • AutoSave_AD-0740.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • AutoSave_AD-0742.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Recently starting playing Civ 4 again because it's the best one. Played several LoR games and love them. However, I turned off wonders in my latest game and I have been struggling with revolt status. The civics say that despotism causes +4 local and +4 empire instability and +50% city distance instability, so I researched hereditary which says +2 local and +3 national instability and +20% city distance instability. However when I switched to hereditary, the revolt threat got WORSE in all 10 of my cities..... I'm at my wits end here. I also built a harbor in my most remote city because I read that it would help reduce the distance penalty but it made no difference as far as I can tell. The only thing that seems to work is bribing. I can't figure out how the "financial trouble" is calculated either. I'm running 50% science without deficit spending and have a relatively large early game empire at 10 cities but all my cities complain of "financial trouble". It seems like putting more workers into commerce/water tiles helps but I'm not sure. What do I have to do to stay out of "financial trouble"?????
Find someone to have a war with and beat them. RevIndex will go down.

Keep an eye on RevIndex. It starts at 250 when you settle a city, so if your other cities all have a high revindex, it won't help your new one.

Keep your first set of new cities near to your capital so that there is some overlap of BFC.

Having some Wonders would help probably.

Not the greatest advice, it took me a lot of attempts and luck to build a big empire. The thing that really helped was modern civics: suffrage and democracy mainly.

Hello people

I would like to have a civ game with stability factor.

I love it when there is a possibility to fight a big enemy empire not only with military, but also with more subtle methods.

So far I have played RI. But the games are way too long and as a father of 2 small children time is absolutely scarce.

Therefore my question:

Is there a possibility to influence the stability of other civilizations (for example through espionage actions)?

Unhappiness contributes to instability. So does unrest and unhealthiness. So does mismatched religion. All of these things can be influenced through espionage. Another common tactic is to use privateers to get oversees colonies to revolt by cutting off their trade to the mainland. Not being connected to the capital by trade routes is a huge stability penalty.

Top Bottom