v40 clearly increases the challenge

If you mean the errors at the start of loading they only concern one civ which isn't even on the map and wasn't.
I got multiple errors related to it.

Impossible to do that without modding C2C itself, which I didn't, only added the extra civ submod.
I mean it is possible to open more than 39 slots for civs.
Also it is possible to add repeating civs and leaders

You mean I should use 3rd party tools for map editing ?
If you MUST use worldbuilder then save map as scenario and do cleanup of that scenario.

Most important thing was existence of civ with all techs.
So if it wasn't your fault, then somehow civ spawning glitched and spawned civ with all techs.

Upload your scenario, User Settings and BTS INI file (its here C:\Users\<USERAME>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword).
Adding some techs could have break game too.

Use custom scenarios or generate map and stay away from WorldBuilder as its VERY easy to break game.

Last edited:
Use custom scenarios or generate map and stay away from WorldBuilder as its VERY easy to break game.
Yeah, but I just want to play an Earth map with realistic locations. I wouldn't mind using other map editor than WB, but, afaik, there isn't any for C2C.

I could also try just writing all the extra (civ starting locations, units) in the notepad, I suppose... 🤔

Adding some techs could have break game too.
Didn't do that for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I just want to play an Earth map with realistic locations. I wouldn't mind using other map editor than WB, but, afaik, there isn't any for C2C.

I could also try just writing all the extra (civ starting locations, units) in the notepad, I suppose... 🤔

Didn't do that for sure.
Fun fact: Your bug was caused by edge case in BUG options.

That is if you set some barbarian techs or something to 0, then game would give ALL techs that exist in game to first minor civ that spawns from barbarians instead of some techs known by at least this many civs.
Weird events you got was result of this, long after initial error happened.

Now that setting won't cause game to give all techs in game to first minor civ. This bug was here for decade.

Glad to know, thanks! :thumbsup:

When playing older versions, keep in mind that for the last decade, 90% of our work has been to slowly eliminate bug after bug so basically older just means more bugs and less balance.

When playing older versions, keep in mind that for the last decade, 90% of our work has been to slowly eliminate bug after bug so basically older just means more bugs and less balance.
Why would I play older if I can download the latest stable release ?

Also v40 in my older posts here was just 1-2 years ago, far from a decade. On the site that hosts C2C you can actually see the dates of past versions.

Last edited:
What TB means -put at the extreme- is that every version older than latest SVN build is an old version of C2C, more reasonably he means the latest modDB release is old (it is in the eyes of all modders of C2C) since there's been thousands of updates after the modDB version. Most of us consider the version quite old if it is 50+ SVN revisions old (50 SVN revisions old is currently the version from 4th of May 2022).

P.S. There are actually multiple updates between each SVN revision as well as we don't push latest git version to SVN unless it fixes something important or introduces an apparent stable new feature worth getting broader feedback on from the community.

Last edited:

Also v40 in my older posts here was just 1-2 years ago, far from a decade. On the site that hosts C2C you can actually see the dates of past versions.
What Toffer said in the nutshell:
Play SVN, lol.
It occasionally changes the game in such a way that you don't even recognize the previous version from the newer result, including the bugs.
And I mean it.
The current SVN definitely has at least a couple major things that vastly differ from the last official release, at the minimum.

Yeah, the culture spread changes seem to be very promising, but still somewhat buggy ?

(Note that you can pick specific versions for SVN, Caveman2Cosmos_v42.1.BETA.7217_SVN-11507 , AFAIK without these changes, might be more stable than the latest SVN one ?
Caveat : the C2C team already has trouble supporting the latest v42.1 stable, expect even less help if running an old SVN version, and you will have trouble helping the project yourself...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom