Changes to template in bold

Assfell
Ruler: Adalbrandr/The Strategos
Cities: Assfell (7,500)
Ruling Tribe: Hrafn/7+2=9
Income: 4/1/0
Trade Routes: None
Vassal Tribes:
Sterkveggr– 3, Resentful (-1 power, -2 Relationship)
Gullholt– 2, Resentful (-2 power, -2 Relationship)
Gnott-7, Loyalty unto Death (+3 power, +4 Relationship)
Military: 100 Archers, 100 Spearmen+100 Spearmen=200 Spearmen, 80 Tiaka, 100 Raeka
Summary:

The Hrafn tribe descended from some loyal veterans of Hroth I who were given land for their service. Proud of their martial heritage, their descendents continued supplying the Varican Emperor with troops until the death of Hrothiya. At first, Hrafn remained neutral in the following civil war, believing that it would soon end. After five years of civil war, however, their neutrality was shattered as one of the claimants to the throne invaded Hrafn, intending to make them his vassals so that he would have access to their feared troops. Outnumbered, the Hrafn had no choice but to ask for help from another one of the claimants to the throne. With his help, the Hrafn were able to defeat their enemy. In exchange, the Hrafn agreed to support their benefactor in his wider war. The Hrafn fought under their new liege for five years, during which time their claimant appeared close to seizing the capital and bringing the civil war to an end.

At the critical point, however, the Hrafn king died mysteriously, probably poisoned. Two of Hrafn’s vassals, the Sterkveggr and Gullholt took this opportunity to rebel, no doubt encouraged by the gold from people who did not want to see Hrafn’s powerful warriors supporting their rival. However, the weakest of the Hrafn vassals, the Gnott tribe, remained loyal. It was a hard time for the Hrafn tribe. Their new king was Adalbrandr, a youth who had previously been a skirmisher in the battles outside of Varica, looking to finally become bloodied and become a real man. He was forced to grow up quickly, however, in the brutal war of hate and revenge that burned for six blood soaked years. In retribution for their rebellion, the Sterkveggr and Gullholt tribes were greatly reduced to the benefit of the loyal Gnott and Hrafn itself. During this time, the Hrafn’s claimant to the throne of the Empire, bereft of Hrafn’s warriors, was defeated outside of the capital. During the retreat that followed, he was killed as another claimant took the opportunity to ambush his shattered army.

After this experience, with their claimant dead, the Hrafn remained aloof from the rest of the war, concentrating instead on rebuilding their warbands which had been shattered from the long years of war. This does not, however, mean that they were peaceful years. The lawlessness of the land bred from a power vacuum ensured that there were always raids to conduct and wars to fight. But compared to the vast wars around the capital, these were merely glorified barroom brawls. After the civil war finally ended and Hroth IV became Hroth IV, an uneasy absence of war descended. But, of course, an absence of war does not mean the presence of peace. While it might be too much of an exaggeration to say that Hroth IV feared the Hrafn warriors, it was undeniably true that he wouldn’t mind seeing the tribe weaker than its present state. On the other hand, King Adalbrandr, now a seasoned, if still relatively young, veteran of countless battles and skirmishes, distrusted the wily Hroth.

Summary of Changes:
-4 CP into creating one vassal
-4 CP +2 king’s tribe’s power
-1 CP +100 Spearmen
-1 CP +80 Tiaka
-2 CP +100 Raeka

@ Strategos,

Awesome stuff. That's exactly what I'm looking for. A real history, depth, plot hooks, important personalities, and a sense of place in the larger world. Approved.

@ Everyone,

Don't be afraid to discuss your history with other players. Maybe player1's confederacy are ancient allies with player2 due to some past event. Perhaps player1 suffered an invasion at the hands of player2 during the civil war. Have fun, and network with other players, we should all work together in building the best story we can.

Actually, I hadn't thought of modding moods. :o

The first one is regular, aided us when we escaped from the initial anarchy, and became our vassal after our rise in power. Willingly.
The second one only cried for help during the first War. It is nothing but a collection of city states. (smaller than the first one.)
The third one hates us. It has fought 2 wars. The first one unifying and send the second one under our wing. The second war was devastating since they also held two vassals. But mine are friendlier to me than his to him. So we won and vassalized him.

1= Friendly
2= not resentful but confused, maybe apathetic
3= not utter hate (they admired our skills) but not just mistrust/

@ Lord_Iggy & alex994,
I am afraid that the Varican Empire itself is not playable. It has an income of almost four times the other PC nations. Varica will spend much of the game fighting the Northern Tribes and internal rebels. I may be willing to let people play the Northern Tribes, Gamars, or the Yumin however. They are slightly more powerful than other PCs, but they have rather unique situations.

OOC: I'm afraid you misunderstood me; earlier I saw a post by you about needing more "Varicans." What I meant to say was that I would be interested in being a former Varican province, sorry. :blush:

OOC: By Varican I meant 'post-Varican'.

Dolu
Ruler: King Veli/Lord_Iggy
Cities: Cradu (7,500), Puli (2,500) -5 Points
Ruling Tribe: Dolu/12 -10 Points
Income: 4/1/0
Vassal Tribes:
Syven – 4, Resentful +2 Points
Tendorl – 4, Apathetic
Military: 100 Archers, 100 Spearmen
Summary: Lightly-toned in skin, hair and eyes, the Dolu are a powerful tribe originating in the Northern Reaches. Forsaking their bonds of vassalage with the fall of Varican rule, King Belu called upon the loyalty of all his clansmen fighting in Varican armies, and used this new strength to secure his own lands, then start to conquer others. Following Belu's death, there were several decades of power struggles, allowing several conquered tribes to break free. However, with the recent ascension of the wily King Veli, often referred to as 'Yelloweyes' or 'The Fox', two of the rebellious groups have been brought back into the fold, and the Dolu Tribe's dominance is once again established.

The Tendorl tribe are a stout and noble people who have had the bad luck of being on the wrong side of numerous wars. Their Chief, Dugel, is a man of renowned strength and a steady mind. He serves Veli dutifully, though it is clear that, if given the chance, he would lead his people to victory over his oppressors.

The Syven are a brother tribe of the Dolu, though that does not increase their friendship significantly. In a chaotic series of wars after the death of King Belu, the Syven rose up and overthrew the Dolu, temporarily establishing themselves as a powerful kingdom. The chiefs of the fragmented Dolu fought the Syven over the course of one and a half decades, before overthrowing their onetime rulers. Many of the Syven were exiled or killed in the war, reducing them to their present-day strength. Today, they are led by Chief Heren, the son of the man who was made chief of the Syven following their defeat. Heren is reasonably loyal to the Dolu, though he must compromise somewhat to keep on both good terms with his own people and his overlords.

Validira
Ruler: King Matteo/alex994
Cities: Telius (7,500), Krias (5,000)
Ruling Tribe: Xanfa/7+1=8
Income: 4/1+1=2/0
Vassal Tribes:
Karghta name – 4, Distrustful (-1 Relationship)
Andala #2’s name – 4, Content (+1 Relationship)
Military: 100 Archers, 100 Spearmen
Summary: The House of Valdira was once nothing more but the most minor of thanes in the days of the First Hroth and most of the Second. It was during the reign of the Second that Validira began her ascent to Kingship; dabbling in trade and commerce, the Thane Tausis bought his son a Kingship through an arranged marriage with his King in exchange for a massive sum of money. Perhaps scandalously, his son, King Vasarm continued his father’s trend and fully embraced commerce, personally involved himself with commerce earning for himself disrepute throughout the Empire but with financial success.

Validira prospered along nicely under later Kings until the last of Hroth’s line died in childbirth; for the most part of that devastating Civil War, Validira remained untouched simply because the King at the time, Leuta (father of the present King Matteo) either bribed off any of the claimants or bribed rivals to the claimant threatening the Kingdom. Because of those actions, Validira was able to remain relatively unscathed in comparison to the neighboring Kingdoms around her. And when the present Emperor Hroth ascended the Throne at Varica, King Matteo firmly and loudly announced his loyalty.

The affairs with the vassals are however not as pleasant. In his youth, Prince Matteo fell in love with the beautiful Diane, daughter of Thane Zergyte of Andala, however what made it an unpleasant affair was that the son of the Thane of Karghta, and now Thane, Pinto was also in love with Diane. Both Matteo and Pinto struggled for the hand of Diane, but in the end, Matteo won her hand. Now that Pinto is Thane of Karghta, the relations between the two men are not exactly well though Matteo’s friendship with his father-in-law, Zergyte, is strong.

Creation Point Summary

5 CP on new settlement, Krias
5 CP on increasing the population size of Krias to 5000
2 CP on increasing King’s power to 8

I’ll like to note that my capital is built on Sargothi ruins

@ Lord_Iggy & alex994,
Oops! Sorry, my mistake.

@ Lord_Iggy,
Aside from overspending by three points, excellent stuff. Good to have you with us.

@ alex994,
Approved. Welcome to the game. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for your cast of characters.

Question: is there any point in waiting for a map? I.e. is it going to appear today? I suppose I could do without it, so I would like to know if I would have to.

Question: is there any point in waiting for a map? I.e. is it going to appear today? I suppose I could do without it, so I would like to know if I would have to.

It is unlikely that it will be posted today as I'm leaving town to see my girlfriend and won't be able to get in touch with my cartographically inclined friend. You don't have to wait. You just won't be able to place yourself on the map yet. You can give a position relative to the other factions though.

Intrude: I'm sorry The Strategos, but that image just makes me want to say "Thunderbirds, HO!" which is truly an awful combination of memes. ;)

I thought it was a mash-up of the GDI and NOD emblems (well, more like a slightly altered GDI emblem in NOD colours).

@alex- Rats! I was going to say that Cradu was built just next to Sargothi ruins! Now I'll sound uncreative! :p

@Fulton- Oh, you could just take off from my nation's power and put any spare change into increasing my military's size.

OOC: It says so in one of the posts on the first page that most cities/settlements are actually built on/near Sargothi ruins ;)

They're also the main source of metal. Greed vs. fear! Also, those who live there might be able to play up the scary angle to their advantage: on one hand it means that their capital is really best avoided unless you want to be eaten by demons, and on the other hand, people who live there are probably insane, brave and/or tough - not really someone your average war band would like to pick a fight with.

I'd imagine them to be not just full of metals, but lots of artifacts that could be sold to various rich people throught the empire... of course they don't work, but the fat, rich, man can claim to have taken the relic at huge danger to his life, while exploring some ruins...

i'de imagine a brisk trade going on for old sargothi items...

Intrude: I'm sorry The Strategos, but that image just makes me want to say "Thunderbirds, HO!" which is truly an awful combination of memes. ;)

I thought it was a mash-up of the GDI and NOD emblems (well, more like a slightly altered GDI emblem in NOD colours).

It's a raven (Hrafn, the tribe's name is Old Norse for raven) and it has a red sun behind it, for obvious reasons given the religion. Fortunately I don't know what "Thunderbirds, HO!" means, so I can view the image with naiveté.

I'm interested Fulton, but there are details I'd like to work out with you before I crank out my merry band of psycotics.

das has pretty much hit the nail on the head with the greed vs. fear equation. It depends on the tribe and the superstitions they hold.

As for Sargothi artifacts, without electricity, almost everything looks like useless junk. The few Sargothi artifacts that are considered to have value are things with obvious uses. Mainly art (of pieces thereof) and knick knacks. The biggest market for Sargothi relics would be Thune collectors. Rich Thune are more likely to have the spare time and resources to devote to collecting art and ancient relics.

Top Bottom