Various unit graphics don't work correctly.

I've started this thread to respond to a request for assistance originally posted in the Bug Thread:

hi,
through the last two installations (41 patch d and then patch m on top) I've had the problem that various unit graphics don't work correctly. As far as I can tell, the specified subfolders in the Art/Units/Civs directory aren't there. I've download the mod and patch m again, but with the same problem...is it possible, that the units with graphics added in patches between d and m only work if each patch between d and m is applied sequentially?
It is possible, but very unlikely. Each patch includes all the changes and additions of the previous patches, so that only the latest patch needs to be applied.

However, because the graphics were missing not only after you installed Patch M, but also when you first installed the mod itself, this means that this is not the case of a unit being added in one of the intermediate patches without the graphics being included. In order to know what could be causing this problem, I'll need to you give more details. When you say "various unit graphics don't work correctly", can you be more specific about which units and in what way their graphics are not working?

-------------
Copying here the portion of Vanyel's post that Opferlamm already answered, for the sake of completeness:

If so, where can I get the old patches...?

cheers

vanyel
just rename the link to patch m to something before M, like http://kael.civfanatics.net/files/FfH2041g.exe

i've been playing through the scenarios and don't yet have a complete list, but the following units are definitely affected:

malakim adept - a static figure with legs and arms outstretched is displayed
(giving the unit the race type elf or dwarf fixes the problem, because then an elf/dwarf adept is shown)
great commander - shown as a red blob
(giving the commander race type elf works, then an elven commander is shown)

mercurian angel of death - fixed, once i copied the seraphim folder to an "angel of death" folder (..Art/Units/Civs/Mercurians/..)

In all cases the commands are also missing - the various command buttons for the unit (guard, explore etc. incl. all promotions) are not shown. Instead the command button area shows the same buttons as the previous unit had.

In the meantime I've also tried installing 41d, then g,k,l and finally m. No change though...

Should I list the subfolders in the Art/Units/Civs folder?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!!!

mercurian angel of death - fixed, once i copied the seraphim folder to an "angel of death" folder (..Art/Units/Civs/Mercurians/..)
There is not supposed to be an "Angel of Death" folder there. (The art for that unit is probably in the Pak0.FPK file in /Assets.)

Based on what you've said, I believe that you have only installed the patches, and not the mod itself. The patches are small files (~6 MB for D, up to almost 12 MB for M) called FfH2041_.exe ("_" being the patch letter), whereas the mod installer itself (which must be installed first) is called FallfromHeaven2041d.exe and is large by comparison (~377 MB). You can find the link to download the main installer in the first post of the FfH2 Bug Thread, near the top. If you need assistance with the installation process you can refer to my guide, How to Install FfH2, and if you need additional assistance feel free to ask here and I'll try to help.

hmm, no i'm afraid that's not it. the first install is definitely 2009_05_16_FallfromHeaven2041d.exe (~377 MB), then FfH2media.exe (~183 MB) then the patches on top...

I've just retested using the lord of the balors scenario. With the "Angel of Death" folder I can add an angel of death with the world editor and the unit works fine. If I delete the folder though, the Angel of Death is replaced with a red blob...

I make sure that I install the patches using admin-privileges (win 7 64-bit) as I've had problems in the past with install programms being unable to overwrite existing files otherwise. The Pak0.FPK file is ~402 MB large and dated 16.12.2008, 02:07. Is that correct?

The Pak0.FPK file is ~402 MB large and dated 16.12.2008, 02:07. Is that correct?
No, that is not correct. Your Pak0.FPK file should be 347,488,788 bytes (~331 MB) and should be dated 18.5.2009, 5:40 PM. Perhaps you've gotten an old version of some of your files (or perhaps even just that one) mixed up with newer files. That would certainly cause problems.

Checking file dates and sizes and replacing them one at a time will be time-consuming, and there is always a chance we'd miss one or more problems. To be sure to fix the problem, my suggestion is that you delete your FfH2 installer, all the patches you have, the media pack installer, and all your "Fall from Heaven 2" folders ("...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2", "...\My Games\Fall from Heaven 2", and any others you might have elsewhere), then download just the mod installer (FallfromHeaven2041d.exe) from the link in the Bug Thread, and use it to reinstall the mod. Load FfH2 and create a "Play Now!" game, then enter Worldbuilder and place one of each of the units on the map, looking for any that might be displayed as blobs.

If all of the units are fine, then download and install the media pack and recheck. If everything is still good, download and install the latest patch and check the units again. If unit problems occur again you will have found the culprit, and if not then you'll have the mod working correctly.

Thanks! That seems to have done the trick. O.k., I can't seem to play the "Lord of the Balors" scenario (crashes as soon as I select it), but from what I've seen the mercurian units also work.

I'm having a similar problem. Several units revert to default C4 graphics at certain times. Some workers when "working" and the Arcane Barge when idle for instance. My pak file is the correct one. I already tried re-downloading the installer from the DL section, but that did nothing. The installer itself is named "2009_05_16_FallfromHeaven2041n". So I haven't tried installing the n patch over it.

You probably have frozen animations on, which is not supported by the mod.

Indeed, I do. The game slows way down after playing for a while if I don't freeze animations. Good to know though, guess I'll live with it.

Top Bottom