Vassalizaiton and surprise war or peace?

da_Vinci

Gypsy Prince
Can someone remind me about the mechanics around what happens if a civ you are at war with becomes someone else's vassal? Does that put you at war with the master, or force peace with the vassal (assuming that your pre-vassal state with the master was peace)? Although can the new vassal civ exchange vassalage for a dow on you as another option?

dV

Two situations I recall:
a) If you and civ Ally are both at war with civ Target, and civ Target becomes civ Ally's vassal; then you immediately become at peace with civ Target. (downside to inviting more war participants) [of course works other way around - if Target becomes your vassal it becomes at peace with Ally]
b) If you are only civ at war with civ Target, and civ Target becomes civ Rescuer's vassal; then you remain at war with civ Target and also become at war with civ Rescuer. [this is case you asked about]

also (reg Peace Vassals)
c) If no wars and civ Scared peace vassals to you; it doesn't change the peace situation.
d) If you are at war and civ Scared peace vassals to you; civ Scared also becomes at war with civ Target.
e) If civ Scared is at war with civ Bully (and you are at peace with both), and civ Scared becomes you vassal; then you become at war with civ Bully. [similar to b with you as Rescuer]

:deadhorse:
Can someone remind me about the mechanics around what happens if a civ you are at war with becomes someone else's vassal? Does that put you at war with the master, Yes (if not previously a war participant) <b>

or force peace with the vassal Yes if new master had also been at war with them <a>

(assuming that your pre-vassal state with the master was peace)?

Although can the new vassal civ exchange vassalage for a dow on you as another option? this is what is happening in <b>; but there is no option for a current Ally to become and Enemy when a mutual Target becomes a vassal

Last edited:
Thanks Deckhand, thorough as always. And don't worry, I like my horses to be thoroughly beaten dead.

Of course, also as always you were late ... as the need for the info already had passed :joke:

I decided against risking getting a war I did not want, which turned out to be a good idea.

dV

Maybe CIV IV Warlords should have been named "Vassalization I"? Which would make BTS "Vassalization II"?

dV

Top Bottom