• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Version 2.6 discussion

2.62 is my first experience with ROM. The megapack crashes on map init, so I removed the megapack and just installed the regular 2.62. It loads, and I've been playing fairly well, but today it decided to CTD, and it does it on the same turn each time. The are a couple of possible leads in pythonerr2 log, which is attached (with other logs). The Windows Event Logs contain the following in the Application Log:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 4/25/2009 9:42:44 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Pogo
Description:
Faulting application Civ4BeyondSword.exe, version 3.1.3.1, time stamp 0x48317e8a, faulting module CvGameCoreDLL.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x49b1b08c, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000f4bd0, process id 0x238, application start time 0x01c9c6185359dd70.

System Specs:
Win Vista Home Ultimate w/ latest updates
2GB Memory
Nvidia GForce 8600 GT 512MB w/ driver 182.5
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 2.8G processor
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio w/ driver 1.3.2

Deleted the cache files just to be sure, but to no effect.

Great mod up 'til the crash point, which is still in early stages.

Thanks! Xinu

Attachments

• XinuxunilLogs.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 37
Welcome to the forum and ROM :beer:

I'm no techy so I'm afraid you will have to wait for Zappara or someone else to pick this up. But seeing as the CTD is reproducable it may be a good idea to post your save game here just before the CTD.

Good luck with getting it resolved as ROM is awesome :)

The problem I am having is where I get a runtime error from Beyond the Sword exe and crashes the mod. This is when I use the modded world sizes (Gigantic and Giant)

I think I may have had this problem when I used the stand along world sizes mod because it did not work then either. I also use the Wiseman Mod which adds another difficallty to the game just to mention becuase its the only thing I have added to the Beyond the Sword files, just to clarify.

Thanks for reading and I hope there is a sollution soon ~ED~

-Edit-
Sorry I also use the BlueMarble mod

The problem I am having is where I get a runtime error from Beyond the Sword exe and crashes the mod. This is when I use the modded world sizes (Gigantic and Giant)

I think I may have had this problem when I used the stand along world sizes mod because it did not work then either. I also use the Wiseman Mod which adds another difficallty to the game just to mention becuase its the only thing I have added to the Beyond the Sword files, just to clarify.

-Edit-
Hi, you don't mention which version of RoM you are using. Is it just RoM 2.62 or are you also using the megapack for RoM 2.62? If you are using the megapack then a number of us are having similar problems. The problem seems to be that 32-bit operating systems just can't handle it, so we are playing without the megapack.

Welcome to the forum and ROM :beer:

I'm no techy so I'm afraid you will have to wait for Zappara or someone else to pick this up. But seeing as the CTD is reproducable it may be a good idea to post your save game here just before the CTD.

Good luck with getting it resolved as ROM is awesome :)

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been playing Civ in one form or another since the day I discovered FreeCiv in the early 90's. The saved game is attached. For any that are curious and so that you aren't "shocked" ;) I tend to, um, modify my Civ to my advantage, so yes, in this game I have 10 cities, while other Civs only have 1 or 2 cities. I know, I know, I'm probably the only one here who makes use of Worldbuilder ... :D Civ is my stress outlet, and losing is not an option ... having fun is. ;)

UPDATE: I loaded the game from an earlier save point, and it crashes the next turn after discovering pottery, so I'm inclined to think that there is something with discovering pottery that is affecting the game.

Attachments

• Jeff BC-3940.CivBeyondSwordSave
    440.3 KB · Views: 57
From 2.62:

It is impossible to build Krak des Chevaliers and The Al-Aqsa-Mosque (both great wonders) on a gigantic map. This is because these wonders require 2 of the St John's Chapter House and Templar Chapter house respectively, both of which are national wonders, which you can thus only build 1 of. (You can build Montfort castle because the Teutonic Major Chapter House is just a regular building, not a national wonder)

Indicating that Mailed Knights require Guilds is redundant, because Chivalry (also required) already required Guilds.

All of these crusader type units require Chivalry, which also grants you Mailed Knights (str 16) as an basic alternate unit. A player is garunteed to also have Swordsmen (str 9) as they are enabed with Guilds, as well as regulalr Knights (str 11)

The Templar/Teutonic/Hospitaliers Marshall unit (str 12), Knight (str 10) and Seargent (str 6) are rather underpowered compared to your basic alternatives, and thus there is little incentive to build them save for the ability to attack without declaring war. Though if your enemies have the same tech level they probably have stronger units (the base alternates). I would suggest upping their strength values to 18 (Marshall), 16 (Knight = Mailed Knight) and 9 (sergeant = swordsman.) If the concern is overt spamming and abuse of the no-war attacking, make all of them a national unit, not just the marshall. (though if your going to restrict the marshall to just one unit, perhaps go even higher to str 20, or give them extra promotions such as warlord since he is essentially the field commander.)

From 2.62:

It is impossible to build Krak des Chevaliers and The Al-Aqsa-Mosque (both great wonders) on a gigantic map. This is because these wonders require 2 of the St John's Chapter House and Templar Chapter house respectively, both of which are national wonders, which you can thus only build 1 of. (You can build Montfort castle because the Teutonic Major Chapter House is just a regular building, not a national wonder)

Actually you can build an infinite number of the chapter houses but only three will exist at any one time. Just because they are National Wonders does not mean that they can't be built more than once per player. It is even possible to have multiple World Wonders - the tallest building was one done in another mod. Someone else could then build a taller building and get the rewards :)

I agree that the units are under strength. I gave up even attempting to build any of these for that very reason. The AI on the other hand does still build them.

Actually you can build an infinite number of the chapter houses but only three will exist at any one time. Just because they are National Wonders does not mean that they can't be built more than once per player. It is even possible to have multiple World Wonders - the tallest building was one done in another mod. Someone else could then build a taller building and get the rewards :)

I'm not talking about other mods or what might be capable, only what currently exist. From the base RoM 2.62 install, how are you able to build more than one of the same national or great wonder, and have both of them exist at the same time? You can built lots of Teutonic chapter houses because its just a building not a national wonder.

And another thing. I usually end up getting civil service long before getting guilds. Macemen req civil service and machinery, swordsman require guilds (which requires machinery) It makes swordmen rather pointless at str 9 when you have macemen available. Macemen usually do a good enough job attacking cities on their own w/ siege support. I would suggest Macemen be brought down to str 9, to but them on par with swordsman so there is more of a choice being made for their intended use.

I'm not talking about other mods or what might be capable, only what currently exist. From the base RoM 2.62 install, how are you able to build more than one of the same national or great wonder, and have both of them exist at the same time? You can built lots of Teutonic chapter houses because its just a building not a national wonder.

There is no limit on the number of occurances of a national wonder or great wonder except what is in the XML. While traditionally you can only have one of each national wonder the code is only restricted by what the modder puts in the XML.

The RoM 2.62 XML (Templar_CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml) says you can have 3 of Templar Chapter houses. Therefore you can have three of this national wonder.

I think this is how that works:-
. any number other than zero or minus one in the iMaxPlayerInstances tag means that it is a national wonder (iMaxGlobalInstances and iMaxTeamInstances must be -1 if iMaxPlayerInstances isn't -1)
. the value is the number of this type of building that can exist for a player at a time

This means that you can build as many as you like but only the last 3 built will exist on any turn in the game - basically when you build the fourth the first becomes obsolete or disbanded or some such. The same goes for the iMaxGlobalInstances tag and World Wonders.

Just developed the steam engine. Tooltip for Screw Propeller says:
"Sid's Tips: TXT_KEY_TECH_SCREW_PROPELLER_STRATEGY"

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been playing Civ in one form or another since the day I discovered FreeCiv in the early 90's. The saved game is attached. For any that are curious and so that you aren't "shocked" ;) I tend to, um, modify my Civ to my advantage, so yes, in this game I have 10 cities, while other Civs only have 1 or 2 cities. I know, I know, I'm probably the only one here who makes use of Worldbuilder ... :D Civ is my stress outlet, and losing is not an option ... having fun is. ;)

UPDATE: I loaded the game from an earlier save point, and it crashes the next turn after discovering pottery, so I'm inclined to think that there is something with discovering pottery that is affecting the game.

I found a further clue to the crash. I looked at the save game again, and found that the world map was set to the largest setting (discussed somewhere among the earlier posts), and when I set it to the largest original Civ IV BTS size, it worked with no problems. I'm happily playing away, and enjoying the experience of hegemony. :D This is indeed an awesome mod! Thanks!

So I have a habit of playing Giant maps with only one other civ, but with Barbmod turned on. This way the two of us can easily dominate and smush all the smaller civs as practice for the innevitable and enormous war. The problem is, the computer (on Monarch) just seems to inexplicably REX. I don't know how they manage to build so many cities so fast, let alone sustain them. Worse still, while the other civ (carthage) with Feudalism and slavery has +2 on farms his cities which are so close together some only get half their fat cross and yet have a pop of 30-40 at early industrial age compaired to my own which are constant 20s

CTD or memory allocation error Fix :D
Sound blaster X-Fi volume panel conflict?

Firstly - great MOD :)
I hope this helps some of those who have been unable to play standard or larger maps and experienced memory allocation error crashes.
I have been unable to play standard or larger maps or the ROM scenarios without CTD or memory allocation error. I tried a few things including getting more RAM (now 3.25GB usable in XP) and switching off anti virus etc but with no joy.
The last thing I tried was switching off the Sound blaster volume panel, and it now ROM works great. Volume panel is a little program and doesnt use much memory so I didn't think it would have much effect but there must be some sort of conflict as now I can play gigantic maps and all the scenarios etc!
(I also updated Sound blaster drivers at the same time but they had been updated recently anyway but its still worth checking)

The install instructions are a bit hard to follow with so many links for all over. :crazyeye: I installed the 2.62 Pack & the 2.63 Patch excluding the Megapack version. Now the Mod runs, I am playing large world with naval map, islands and RoM Archipelago land masses.

I will give you an report of bugs as I find them, are you doing yet another patch for the megapack, fix the other parts of the Mod? I love playing this Mod, it has a lot extremely cool features. :goodjob:

I've got this bug: Blockaded Sea Zones won't disappear when either the blockading ship destroyed or no longer blockading. Can this be solved by editing the savegame somehow?

-Edit-

I have the same problem (runtime error from BtS and crash) but with standard size of map. (earth 2)
During a long time I have played with this mod without crash (2.62) but when 2.63 has been out I installed it and I have had the crash. So I get back to 2.62 but unfortunateny I have the crash now early in the game. (options barbatrians civ and revolution are disabled). I don't know if it is a clue but I hope you can fix it. I remember 2.52 works perfectly ... something came since.

finaly I install 2.63 and use an other map (terra instead of earth 2) and then I don't get the crash ! Maybe some maps have problems ...

2.6Full works fine.

2.6Full patched to 2.7test1 works fine.

2.6Full Patched to 2.62 has several problems, patched again with 2.63 has a few minor problems.

Those who have patched from 2.52 to 2.62 have reported problems.

2.6Full is the replacemant for 2.52 that is stable.

Megapack of Any on these versions still has problems for some 32 bit OS systems.

JosEPh

2.62 Megapack has a few problems.

1. I keep getting MAFs whenever I start a game after going to the main menu.

2. I get CTDs randomly throughout the game.

3. Errors occasionally appear when I access the Sevopedia. 3:

I've got this bug: Blockaded Sea Zones won't disappear when either the blockading ship destroyed or no longer blockading. Can this be solved by editing the savegame somehow?
It's definately a problem with SDK and in this case with Better BtS AI as it has modified this code section. RoM 2.7 patch has now Better BtS AI 0.7 (RoM 2.6 has 0.60N) and I'm hoping this little issue has been fixed from Better BtS AI - though I haven't read through their patch notes yet so I can't confirm this if it has been fixed.

Hi Zappara!

Currently playing the first 200 turns with 2.62, it seems that Shaft Mines create 2:mad: each?
If yes, I would like to ask to rethink this.

As I said, I am in the first turns of the game, and maybe there are enough :)-creating buildings, ressources and what not ever later on, but - especially thinking about revolution - it seems to be almost not handable in the early game.

I apologize if this is not in the right thread, but I didn't find any mentioning of this at other places.
So, there is a certain chance that I would be just to stupid to handle this at the moment :sad:

Any comment? :goodjob:

Top Bottom