[TOT] Very bad performance on Windows 10

My civ2 MGE runs flawlessly on windows 10, i did have to patch it though,

Should we disable windows updates al all?

I certainly wouldn't recommend disabling operating system updates for any system connected to the internet. I don't know if you even can stop Windows 10 updates (in the past, inconvenient updates were a problem on Windows 10, but I don't know about now). If using a virtual machine didn't work, or isn't an option for you (as I suggested on the first page), I don't have any other ideas.

I certainly wouldn't recommend disabling operating system updates for any system connected to the internet. I don't know if you even can stop Windows 10 updates (in the past, inconvenient updates were a problem on Windows 10, but I don't know about now). If using a virtual machine didn't work, or isn't an option for you (as I suggested on the first page), I don't have any other ideas.
Going virtual is an option I just haven't gotten around to doing it as i've never done it before and it seems difucult to get it to work...

Do you have the ToT disk, or a reliable DL source for the game? If so, then it is not the program.
If you cannot get it to run when basically everyone else can, it is due to your setup.

I can assure you these problems are usually due to a horrendously maintained OS.
Optimise your Win10 system and take control of it's security features.

There are a million YT vids on whipping Windows into shape. Check them out.

Given the problems wirh windows 10 should we update to 11... any opinions?

Probably not. The issue is the diminished backwards compatibility with a program designed for the Windows 95/98 system. Unless Microsoft has made an effort to improve that backwards compatibility, 11 will probably be worse in that respect. The only news of Windows 11 that I've noticed was that it requires a relatively modern motherboard to be installed, so I doubt that backwards compatibility was a priority.

Probably not. The issue is the diminished backwards compatibility with a program designed for the Windows 95/98 system. Unless Microsoft has made an effort to improve that backwards compatibility, 11 will probably be worse in that respect. The only news of Windows 11 that I've noticed was that it requires a relatively modern motherboard to be installed, so I doubt that backwards compatibility was a priority.

I copied my CIV2 ToT folder to my spare Win10 PC. Everything loaded up fine, and worked fine.
The system is a clean Win10 install, so perhaps there are programs making Civ2 falter on other users.

I'd suspect AV programs and perhaps exceptions need to be set up.

This affects Civ2 and ToT.

Under Windows 10 the performance of the game seems to sometimes be incredibly bad. Just moving the viewport of the map takes up to 2 seconds to show the new terrain. The cursor blinks more slowly. The units move slowly. This seems to happen randomly, maybe just for some saves. To be clear, nothing is going on, it's not like the AI is performing their turn.

Is this problem known, and what is a possible solution? (Other than to downgrade to Win7 which never had those problems.) I read somewhere that it may be related to the game using outdated DirectDraw libs, but surely an improvement for that should exist, since it should affect all older games that use it?

EDIT: MY SOLUTION

I fixed it by setting compatibility mode and disable fullscreen optimizations!
Civ2: Compatibility mode for Windows 7 - no videos but at least the game works
ToTPP: Compatibility mode off - everything as it should be

It seems windows tries to switch the game to fullscreen in a loop, which doesn't work because it's a windowed game and this causes performance degradation.
thanks man, works like a miracle, this should be pinned

Top Bottom