*Video* Warlock: Master of Arcane = Fantasy Civ5

Yep, that sure does look a lot like Civ 5. How much is this going to cost, anyone know? I really can't see myself paying $60 for a game that essentially looks like a high quality CIv 5 mod.

EDIT: HAHA NEVERMIND, it's right at the end of the video. $19.99 I could see myself paying for this, for sure.

the first angryjoe video i saw was about how excited he was about sword of the stars 2. :D
i think he wasn`t entirely happy with the end result.

are you sure that Warlock isn`t just a civ5 mod?

Take a look on some of the youtube clips, and decide by yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...of+the+arcane&search_sort=video_date_uploaded
(I would focus on more recent video uploads, since beta was updated and improved several times already)

Personally, I can't wait to play this game.
Although, I can see anti-Civ5 crowd not liking it, since there are many similarities (in a same way how Master of Magic looked like Civ1).

yup. definetely a civ 5 mod.

This is a screenshot from Fantasy Wars, a game released by the same developers as Warlock back in 2007 (i.e. before Civ5).

Warlock is running an updated version of the engine from this game. Similar to Civ5? Yes, but only because Civ5 was similar to Fantasy Wars.

It looks so...organic...

Comes out in a month or so and I'm buying it. Looks like CIV only simpler and easier.

Civ V is too tedious for me. Sometimes I want a much quicker game.

Google is your friend.

But if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Civ V should be flattered.

Moderator Action: Merged with existing thread.

If this game has a functional AI (unlike Civ 5) it will be godly good.

I really like the colors and art style compared to vanilla Civ 5.

From the looks if it, they made the one unit per tile actually viable due to all the magical buffs and such you give your guys, just like MoM (unlike Civ 5 where OUPT was completely unbalanced).

The city improvements/buildings that go on every tile look neato too (also unlike Civ 5, which had very bland and stupid tile improvements)

Seriously looking forward to this game if they don't mess it up.

Total Biscuit's preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz...&feature=g-u-u

I came here after watching the Total Biscuit video, and I'm kinda disappointed there is no coverage whatsoever on this game here besides this single forum post. Espacially considering it looks very much like a Civ5 Mod and supposedly plays a lot like Civ5.

As a previously addicted FfH2 fan, this game looks very intriguing to me. Since there are not a lot of reviews/previews on the game and because i've never heard of the developer before I'm still sceptic. But after CladInShadows's post I'm hopeful that they know what they're doing.

Looking forward to some more news on the game. Hopefully at my trusted CivFanatics as well :)

Dowloading the demo for this now, it will give me something to while waiting for the GW2 beta :)

For a a turn based war game I think Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy are better. The combat in Warlock isn't anywhere as good.

If you also want some city building and don't mind less interesting combat then Warlock might be better.

After a few minutes with the demo, it's not bad.

Probably not going to get it, though. 1UPT + Hexes just doesn't inspire me. I'd love to see a game actually reproduce the system that MoM used, where you had stacks of units that then shifted to a tactical battlefield. Combat in MoM was varied, slick, and fun as heck.

Requires Steam -> I'm out.

Your loss. Considering it is a $20 game the demo is rather impressive. It runs really well (not that it is graphics intensive) and looks fine. Vampires seem OP and ranged attacks can be deadly but so far it is a lot of fun. 1UPT and hexes works great in this too (although I do understand the desire to be able to combine them into an army and fight on a separate map, but at least they don't have complete garbage like "stacks of doom").

It also alt-tabs very well and so far this is waaaaay better than the Civ5 demo.

Screenshot of most of my Empire and the eastern border against
Spoiler :

I played the demo for some time and I am a bit disappointed.
The factions (at least Humans and Rats) don't feel different enough, the balancing is poor (Vampires wtf), the magic spells are average (choose between Healing or Firestorm) and there is a real lack of hero units. atm I am just rushing one spearman after the other to my enemy and don't care too much for my units.
Many issues might be solved in the final game and the game is only about 20 bucks so i still might give it a try but atm I am much less euphoric than after watching the videos.

Personally, after playing the demo, I am hyped a lot.

P.S.
Vampires are ridiculously easy to handle with summoned earth elemental. Heck, basic skeletons are immune to their attack. But when not having anything, archers will do fine.

And firestorm is awesome in full scale war.

Mass attacks with weak units is one way of doing things, although it won't help that much if there is no room to maneuver. It's better to upgrade units with perks, Simple silver sword is effectively 40% better attack. Add to that masterwork armor and those weak units are not so weak, or expendable anymore.

The one spell that is indeed overpowered in my opinion are those ghost wolfs. Good attack power for just 20 mana. Their defense is not much, but that is a good thing since their upkeep is 6 mana. You do want them to die and do as much damage as possible in the meantime.

Just played the demo. The worst enemies I had to fight were the Greater Fire Elemental, who came out of nowhere and nearly one shotted one of my units, forcing me to retreat like crazy to get away from that thing, and werewolves, who are completely ridiculous power wise. I fought some vampires, but 3 shots from one of my cities was sufficient to take them out. Overall I liked the game but it had some issues. If there are hotkeys I could not find a list of them. Is there a way to see which spells lead to which? Is there a way to see how many more turns it will be before a city grows? Considering how many quests popped up asking me to build a certain building, knowing I am going to have a chance to before the quest expires would be nice. The game overall seems fun, especially for $20, but hopefully the full version will address these issues.

Top Bottom