Vocum Sineratio: The Beeline Book

The Beeline Book

Big Brown Bear, Blue Bull, Beautiful Baboon, blowing bubbles, biking backwards....

Beeline Index

[size=-2]Click the links below to jump to the beeline[/size]

Rocketry
Astronomy
Liberalism
Mass Media
Fiber Optics
Future Tech

Introduction

The-Hawk's G-Minor 12 report inspired me to begin looking at the tech tree poster. My goal was to identify the mandatory techs for Future Techonology. Clicking on the Scientific Advisor allows you to have a research path lit up, but I found it difficult to identify where the alternative paths might be for the optional techs.

A text file, Perl, and a touch of insomnia later, I've got a script to navigate through the tech tree. Now all the world looks like a nail.

The Beelines presented are those which apply in Warlords 2.08.

Reading the Beelines

These Beelines begin with the techs of the Ancient Era, and move forward. Techs that are researchable without deviating from the beeline at all are listed alone on a single row:

Mysticism​

When there is a choice of prerequisites to discover, the options are listed in parenthesis after the name of the required technology.

Monarchy (Priesthood, Monotheism)​

In this version, I don't make any effort to try to ennumerate possible paths. For instance, the complete Monarchy beeline looks like

Mysticism
Monarchy (Priesthood, Monotheism)

Obviously, there are more choices; Priesthood (Meditation, Polytheism) for example. Listing the alternatives is a recursive but otherwise straight forward exercise; I'm not convinced that the returns justify the investment. The optional paths I've looked at thus far have been pretty straight forward.

Also, I'm not making any effort to guess what order the Scientific Advisor would propose were you to simply click on the goal technology.

Future Updates

I've picked a handful of somewhat commonly described beelines to begin. Later, I may update the entries with annotations. If your favorite beeline isn't here, sing out - adding another one is only a cut and paste of effort.

Fishing
The Wheel
Mysticism
Mining
Sailing
Pottery
Masonry
Bronze Working
Writing
Metal Casting
Iron Working
Mathematics
Compass
Calendar
Construction
Currency
Machinery
Engineering
Feudalism
Optics
Guilds
Paper (Civil Service, Theology)
Banking
Printing Press
Replaceable Parts
Gunpowder
Rifling
Astronomy
Chemistry
Scientific Method
Steel
Physics
Rocketry (Flight, Artillery)

Fishing
The Wheel
Mining
Sailing
Pottery
Bronze Working
Writing
Metal Casting
Iron Working
Mathematics
Compass
Calendar
Machinery
Optics
Printing Press
Astronomy
Scientific Method
Physics
Electricity
Radio
Mass Media

Fishing
The Wheel
Mysticism
Mining
Sailing
Pottery
Masonry
Bronze Working
Writing
Metal Casting
Iron Working
Mathematics
Compass
Calendar
Construction
Currency
Machinery
Engineering
Feudalism
Optics
Guilds
Banking
Printing Press
Replaceable Parts
Gunpowder
Astronomy
Chemistry
Scientific Method
Steel
Physics
Electricity
Radio
Computers
Fiber Optics (Satellites, Plastics)

Fishing
The Wheel
Mysticism
Mining
Sailing
Pottery
Masonry
Bronze Working
Writing
Metal Casting
Iron Working
Mathematics
Compass
Calendar
Construction
Currency
Machinery
Engineering
Code of Laws
Feudalism
Optics
Civil Service
Guilds
Paper
Banking
Nationalism (Philosophy, Divine Right)
Printing Press
Education
Constitution
Replaceable Parts
Economics
Gunpowder
Rifling
Astronomy
Corporation
Chemistry
Steam Power
Scientific Method
Steel
Assembly Line
Physics
Biology
Railroad
Electricity
Combustion
Rocketry (Flight, Artillery)
Industrialism
Refrigeration
Radio
Satellites
Plastics
Computers
Composites
Genetics
Future Tech

From my experience the science advisor picks techs in terms of the route that is cheapest beaker wise.

For example if you want music you need (lit|drama)&math.

If you have math but still need lit or drama the game will put you on the lit path if you want music.

If you don't have poly (prerec for lit) then it becomes harder and the game will calculate (poly+lit) compared to drama which are the same values (200+100)=300!

This is further compecated by the cost of technologies varies based on who knows the tech and prerec for the prerec.

Not sure what happens in the case of a tie.

For a test, I choose the Arabs in vanalla CIV. They start with wheel and myth, when choosing music the game gave me lit instead of drama, pottery instead of AH and fishing instead of farming.

Under the same setting when I choose Gen Khan who starts with hunting and wheel they gave me drama instead of lit and AH instead of pottery. This is because i didn't start with myth and started with hunting instead.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please, create a new item for merging

Astronomy
Liberalism

i.e. create a path for Astronomy, but using Liberalism to get it.

Motivation: in island game, Astronomy is important for attacking, but we need to get there fast via librealism.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

Please, create a new item for merging

Astronomy
Liberalism

i.e. create a path for Astronomy, but using Liberalism to get it.

Motivation: in island game, Astronomy is important for attacking, but we need to get there fast via librealism.

I've considered implementing a merge, but I don't think this is the right question for it - after all, Liberalism -> Astronomy really is just merging these two lists, with some clarifications to the optional part of the Liberalism line.

There are two interesting bits, which I'll have to work out the right approach for. One is to identify the different possible routes to cover the optional techs, so you can more easily see the opportunity cost (Math->Currency->Code of Laws is less silly when you realize that Math is free and CoL is a two-fer.)

The other, potentially more relevant for cases like Liberalism->X, is trying to identify which techs are on/block the lightbulb path when you are beelining.

Writing
Mathematics
Education
Printing Press
The Wheel
Philosophy
Optics
Paper
Astronomy
Compass
Sailing
Alphabet

A simple merge would be:

Mysticism
Meditation
Fishing
The Wheel
Mining
Sailing
Pottery
Bronze Working
Writing
Metal Casting
Iron Working
Mathematics
Philosophy (Drama, Code of Laws)
Compass
Calendar
Machinery
Optics
Education
Liberalism ==> Astronomy

But I do not know this is optimal or not.

I think this would probably be the "quickest" way to grab Astro. with Liberalism since it involves a number of Scientist lightbulbs via the Great Library, it however not a "beeline." The liberalism beeline for example leaves out a number of first tier ancient techs.

Maybe we could start posting tech orders that grab various techs and compare dates that such tech is taken?

Wheel
Pottery
Hunting
AH
Writing
Math
Masonry
BW
Sailing
Alphabet
Polytheism
Lit.---------->lightbulb Philo, Paper, Education,