Voice for the Techs

Tarendelcymir

Chieftain
While playing a game of BTS, I realized that I rather like hearing the Tech descriptions spoken out loud, and wondered if anyone had considered adding that in for FFH II, or if anyone else would, in fact, be interested in such a thing. I already have a voice volunteer--my wife, if anyone has an interest in this idea.

the problem with that is you need a voice actor for things like that else it sounds like crap (e.g. sid meier in bts). i dont know u wife but all i want to say is that it's not an easy task...

Absolutely true, but fortunately she's done some voice work before. If there's any interest at all, I'll get a couple of samples for people to check out.

Absolutely true, but fortunately she's done some voice work before. If there's any interest at all, I'll get a couple of samples for people to check out.

That's probably the best way - I can put together the XML for it fairly easily (the AudioDefines have been fairly static with one or two exceptions so updating isn't really an issue either). The main question is how well will it fit?

The other question is, does Nimoy play FfH?

That's probably the best way - I can put together the XML for it fairly easily (the AudioDefines have been fairly static with one or two exceptions so updating isn't really an issue either). The main question is how well will it fit?

The other question is, does Nimoy play FfH?

Can we get Zachary Quinto? He's the new Spock. Sylar would play FfH. Actually if we are going the Heroes route, can we get Ali Larter? Can we at least TRY?

:lol:

Okay, I'll ask her to read a couple of the tech descriptions, and get them uploaded. Hopefully it's not too jarring to hear a woman reading the techs, although there are some which would probably do better with a male voice. I don't know about the fitting part yet, we'll just have to see how it goes. Worth a try, though.

:lol:

Okay, I'll ask her to read a couple of the tech descriptions, and get them uploaded. Hopefully it's not too jarring to hear a woman reading the techs, although there are some which would probably do better with a male voice. I don't know about the fitting part yet, we'll just have to see how it goes. Worth a try, though.

Alpha Centauri had a woman reading the tech quotes and she did an amazing job. If your wife is willing to record a few I'd gladly check it out, but I'll be honest that it will be a hard sell. Done well voice acting is a cool addition, but done badly or even medicore, it quickly annoys people.

Alpha Centauri had a woman reading the tech quotes and she did an amazing job. If your wife is willing to record a few I'd gladly check it out, but I'll be honest that it will be a hard sell. Done well voice acting is a cool addition, but done badly or even medicore, it quickly annoys people.

Well, we'll give it a try. A question, though - is there a list of the tech descriptions to be found in one of the files? It would be much easier if I could pull them out without going into the game.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

Okay, here's the first sample. Please let me know what you think. Be honest - but be nice, too, please. :)

Attachments

• medicine.zip
    208.5 KB · Views: 108
Okay, here's the first sample. Please let me know what you think. Be honest - but be nice, too, please. :)

Voice and timing sounds fine to my ear - but what sort of microphone are you using? Sounds possibly like a headset or mini-mic?

There's just a slight "squawk" audible from the microphone if you're really listening for it. To be fair I doubt I'd have noticed unless I was.

Get the guy who does Richard for LFG imo.. ;)

Maybe we need a tech description advocating the destruction of small furry critters...

Sounds good. I am thinking mabye a male voice for some of the more aggressive sounding techs like fanaticism or corruption of spirit.

She sounds eerily like the reader from Alpha Centauri, im not sure if thats a good or a bad thing. I agree with Vehem that the recording quality itself seems bad. Would it be possible to get a cleaner copy?

I can try, but am unfortunately limited in what I have available. I've been using Audacity for the editing, does anyone have another suggestion? Buying a better mic isn't possible at this time, I'm afraid.

Top Bottom