War of the Rings: Rise of the Witch-King

1890-1910ys

"My lord, we continue to make progress towards Moria!"

"Very well, General Norom. Carry on."

Dwimmerlaik beheads the dwarven ambassador and feeds him to the trolls.

Meanwhile, Kyriakos has his engineers feverishly building a road to Upper Moria, protected by trolls:

The artillery moves down into the city, and takes some pot shots at the elves. South of the Stone Pillar, things are getting interesting. Three armies of elves (not to be confused with an Army unit - I will captilize the unit) are swinging around the mountain range. I was expecting a counter-assault, but they disappear beyond my field of vision. There seems to be some confusion in the elves' ranks:

Then my old pal Sauron makes peace with the elves and dwarves:

I also notice Rhun is at war with damn near everyone. Mordor is probably rerouting troops in that direction.

1920ys

"Lord King, the elves are on our flank! Should we divert the Wailing Legion?"

"Piss on that!"

"Wethrin is correct, War Chief. Advance into Moria as soon as possible."

Here we see a couple of things:

There are three stacks of elves - two in the frame. Very indecisive leadership, as they are moving back and forth. Also a lone dwarf has blocked my invasion route.

The two elven armies:

Giblang advances towards Moria now that the engineers have completed the road. The engineers pull back to do some irrigating until things cool down and an orc from Zalibarthar marches out to take out the dwarf.

Near the Stone Pillar, reinforcements coming down the Rivendell Road join troops from the Stone Pillar to move into a defensive position:

The Wailing Legion's current ranks:

1930ys: The Battle of Moria begins!

Giblang proves himself a master strategist. The better part of the defenses (i.e. Mithril Warriors) flee Upper Moria, while the elven armies pull back.

For now, I leave the defensive troops there.

Giblang orders the assault on Upper Moria to begin. Scouts report a 4/4 defender with 5 health. No mithril warriors remain in the city. Wethrin is eager to strike, but Giblang orders him to wait - the barrow-wight has nearly perished twice in this war already. Wethrin relunctly obeys, taking out his anger on the orcs.

The assault begins with two artillery strikes. The second misses. A third is ordered. Giblang consults with his scouts, and learns the next defender is a 2/2 warrior. Upper Moria, it seems, is poorly defended. An Orc Warrior moves in and is victorious. Then a heavy squadron of trolls pushes forward, smashing through the stone gates of the city! The city falls! Upper Moria is ours!

War Chief Giblang and Wethrin enter the city with some orcs and one squad of trolls. The war chief breaks up the rest of the troll squadrons, ordering some to protect the springalds, and the bulk of the troll force to move over onto the eastern edge of the mountain range in a defensive posture.

The Wailing Legion has entered the Mines of Moria!

"Workin' in a coal mine, workin' goin' down down, workin' in a coal mine..."

Just discovered and am reading this. Have fun slaughtering the dwarves in Moria.

I'll be watching, don't fail...

Update later tonight, or tomorrow.

PLEASE, if you have downloaded this, I made an error with the elf and hobbit workers. You will need to go into the editor and give them back 'clear forest' and then make sure the AI is set to working terrain.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused by this.
:(

Thank you for mentioning that (both tings)... Although I fear it's a bit too late. Doesn't matter much though, so don't worry. :p

Welcome to CFC, postman22! [party]

Just a note here, but generally bumping old threads can get people annoyed, because they think that there is an update (finally). Usually, you'd want to send the author a private message (PM) than to bump the thread. But you're new here and can't PM for a little while, so I don't blame you.

Checking his profile, it seems that he made an error in making the scenario, which frustrated him. Does that answer your question?

Again, welcome to CFC!

Ya thats what I read. Couldn't figure out how to pm. Guess you answered that for me because i'm still new here. Didnt kno how else to ask so I asked here. Sorry for bumping the thread. The error I believe that he is talking about would be the error about not letting elves and hobbits terraform. Despite that I hope this lets him kno there is still people waiting on him to continue. :D Again sorry for the bump. Ill pm him when it lets me

I did have a relevant question that I am going to ask here simply because someone else may also have the same issue...

When I capture a city from any other civ the rest of that civs cities automatically get destroyed and it says I have defeated them.

How can I fix this?

I think that you probably have the elimination victory setting on. That's something that you'd have to change in game options before starting.

agonistes: Assuming that this story really is ended due to technical difficulties, I would still be interested in reading another Civ 3 Middle Earth story!

Clearly other folks out there continue to look through this S&T section. So, I feel safe enough in speaking on behalf of others in making this proposal :xmascheers:

Seeing the continuation of this one would be my first choice (again, if possible). My second would be one of the dwarves: whatever/whichever civ of theirs starts out with more of a challenge on their seven-ring-bearing hands.

Was just rereading this, and saw Laocorn's request. I haven't continued with the story because I had to do a full restore on my computer due to a virus, and lost both the mod and the saved game.

If anyone has my version of the mod, and wants to play as a dwarf civ, the Iron Hill Dwarves are the bigger challenge. I have played as the Khazad, and they actually are probably the strongest civ - even stronger than Mordor.

If my link still works, maybe I will download my version of the mod for myself, and tinker some more.

Sorry to anyone who thought this was an actual update.
:crazyeye:

Too bad. Thought this was an update. At least you had the kindness to let us know what happened! Thanks for the ride!

The computer is fairly new, 600gb HD. But now I have a 3 TB external drive. Wowza! This is not the first time I've had to end a story due to technical issues. With the external drive, it shouldn't happen again.

I was able to download the mod and map, thankfully. If only I could do the same for my NWN mod I lost.
:(

A few things that have come to mind:

1) My intention was to use the mod that removes the unit/city limit cap. But having experimented with the cap mod, I find that my trade agreements are often broken for no reason, which severly hurts rep. So I won't use it. This means I have to create a wonder that pops settlers until a late age tech is discovered, rather than use the palace (I *think* I was using the palace).

2) I still don't like the idea of elven workers ripping down trees, so I will find a way around this - hopefully I can just give the terraform trees ability to a tech the elves will never get.

3) The greek has produced some more beautiful cities, and I've noticed some more new units out there, so I probably will update some of the graphics.

4) My pix weren't very good at showing tactics, or I didn't explain them well enough.

I was glad to see there was a little enjoyment found in the reading of this by others. Thanks for the comments.

I be starting another LotM story as well, probably as dwarves, as per request (although they are a bit OP, so maybe as hobbits). This story is definitely dead though, due to "the terraforming mistake," which I entirely blame on Quintillus for absolutely no reason other than he made a story a story about the Greeks, which I wanted to do, and even started in the same place on the same map.

Top Bottom