War strategy question.

yanner39

Emperor
Hello

Playing as the Iroquois, Emperor, Pangea, everything standard. Decided from the get-go I was going for Domination. I took out Carthage, Poly and the Maya. I'm approaching England. I have cannons and muskets and they have swords and longbowmen.

My first try their longbows were taking shots from 3 tiles away at my units. My question is, when dealing with an AI that has a ranged unit such as this, should I be bringing mounted units to get to the ranged units first ? If not how do I deal with a unit such as longbows? Maybe wait for artillery so I have 3 ranged units as well?

Longbows are one of the strongest units of the mid game, that 3 tile range is just so useful.

Either:

1) Give them too many units to hit, which will effectively draw their fire while you concentrate on other units.

2) Use strong melee units that can take a hit before engaging them directly.

3) Combine both of the above for maximum effect.

Artillery is way too long down the path. When you have Rifleman and Gatling Guns you should be fine against Longbowmen.

Or just use some GG and pop a citadel near their city so they'll die by themselves when nearby.

I like mounted units against them, especially post patch as you can heal after attacking. Place a rough promoted cover musket on a forested hill to soak up their attacks as you get your units in place and plan for some losses. Once you clear the longbows from the field just rotate wounded out. single one plus city attack should not kill any of your units in one turn.

I use Longbows extensively, so I can tell you what's effective against them.

-- They are strong offensively, but weak defensively. The problem is that range, which lets them pick off approaching attackers. Mounted units are obvious for their speed. If you have Lancers, this may be a good time for them.
-- Also try to use terrain against Longbows. They can't shoot over obstacles. They aren't highly maneuverable. In hilly terrain, crossbows are just as good as longbows, so you can even the score. Try to make them attack you through terrain of your choosing.
-- If you are going to attack a longbow, try to make sure you kill it. The last thing you need is longbows with extra bonuses. Don't know how smart the AI is on this, but my 4th bonus for Longbows is always the second attack. Lethal. So go after units you can kill, not just injure, as much as possible.
-- If your opponent goes after one of your cities with Longbows, that advice about killing them is especially important. But also remember that massive army of just longbows can't take out a city. In desperate straits, focus your counterattacks on their mounted and melee units.
-- Plan your attacks so that you expose fewer units to fewer longbows during their turn. Give them a defensively strong melee unit to shoot at, especially one that you can lose without slowing down your attack. I recommend not throwing cannons at them for this reason -- just too slow to move and set up for the shot. Hold your cannons off until you're doing what cannons were meant to do -- besieging their cities.
-- And on that note, remember you are not at war with the Longbows. You are trying to capture London. If it's a coastal city, use whatever you've got (Galeass/Frigate bombardment and Caravel/Privateer raids) to tag it. This is important because as good as mounted units are against longbows, they suck against cities. If London is not coastal, then you need to plan carefully, but focus on bringing it to submission as quickly as possible.
-- Another possibility is that you would be wasting too much time to go after London at this point in the game and might be better off hitting it with Rifles, Cavalry, Artillery, Landships, Ironclads, etc. AFTER you take out another opponent. Don't assume that because it's closest it's the best opponent for you to take on right now. Longbows aren't effective against more advanced units. They do upgrade to extra range Gatlings, which are fairly hardy, but no longer have that +3 edge that was so devastating in the early eras. This is when more conventional strategies can take them out, even if they are a fairly strong opponent.
-- If you do decide to wait, be prepared for their next UU if water is a factor at all. Ships of the Line are nasty and can get extra range and extra attack bonuses pretty easily. Not sure whether AI are smart enough to go for those, but if you're fighting England in a Renaissance/Industrial era match, you'll need to adapt your naval strategy accordingly.

Good luck! I'm increasingly convinced that England is one of the toughest civilizations in G&K.

I agree with the above posters. The key to dealing with Longbowmen is to either overwhelm them with melee units or invest in a solid corps of mounted units dedicated to wiping them out.

Obviously the terrain is variable, but try to draw out the LB's from the cities and engage them over open terrain. The faster you can reach them the less likely they'll be able to get off multiple shots and their be forced to relocate continuously until you catch them.

With you playing as the Iroquois, are there heavily forested regions near the English border? Not sure if the movement bonus you get is only within your borders, but its food for thought.

I have a game right now as England in which I've had to bring my planned advance to a complete stop and rethink my grand strategy. After the longbow rush took out two neighbors' capitals (Austria and Persia), I've got a strong militarily and technically strong Dutch opponent with cities surrounded by hilly jungle terrain. The map isn't my friend; I have to take 4 cities before I'll get to Amsterdam. He's hitting me with crossbows, muskets and pikes in this terrain and I'm way bogged down. Better off starting my Ship of Line spam and going after other opponents I can hit more easily by sea. So, wise or not, I treatied with William after taking just one of those cities. Point being, if the AI can do it, so can you.

Three keys to beating an Medieval/Renaissance English foe:
1) Use terrain and smart tactics to hold off Elizabeth's attack.
2) Try to direct her attention focused elsewhere, so that her military force is not protecting the homeland.
3) Whatever you do, dispense with her before you also have to deal with Ship of the Line.

This also applies, I think, to human vs. human games, though "diverting attention" could be a different sort of challenge.

When you plan to attack the city have all your ranged units be able to get into position in one turn. Bring in one very slightly damaged horseman and park him on an improved tile in front of your ranged units. The AI will always attack the most damaged unit in range.

After this all of your ranged units are in position to strike and your horseman got wacked a bit. Pillage the tile then move him to another improvement to pillage. Do not fully heal if its possible as the AI will then start picking off your ranged units.

Once you get the city down to 0 attack with the horseman if he is still alive. Or bring in another one from the outside. As long as the city is at 0 it doesn't matter how much health the horseman has he won't die and will take the city.

The main point is to always have a slightly damaged meat shield on hand when you are about to attack a city.

preference over horseman to draw attack is any melee unit with the 2 advancement (plain or rough) and parked on this terrain... as it will get a terrain bonus also. IMO horseman are to feeble to resist city fire. As the iroquois a sliglty damaged upgraded mohawk on a forest tile is perfect to draw city fire... and will be until nuclear weapon (just upgrade it and get it the defence vs ranged units after drill 1 &2 ;)

Top Bottom