War Theme Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it seems that Sweden's theme now is the one being picked on. Such is things when it has the least points in elimination threads. Just go with the flow, no one will mind when you punch the low pointer without reason. Then again, I'm Swedish myself so I guess it's time for me to stick up for them.

With a reason.

Arabia - 24-3=21
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 21
Dutch - 23
England - 21
Greece - 20
Huns - 22
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 12
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 12+1=13
Zulu - 23

Sweden: This theme is not "just" a corruption of the peace theme (seriously, what other theme is not a corruption of the peace theme, HELLO?), it tells a story. And an important story at that, history wise. It's the story of Sweden's participation of the 30 years war, and Sweden had to show everyone that they are NOT going back to Catholicism and the Dark History Removing Age of Church Power.

0:00 to 0:36 - This part references the decision to enter the thirty Year War and show those Germans what for. With great determination, Gustavus himself marches along with his army, because that's what kings did back then. His tactical genius and presence would boost the morale of his troops to the nth degree.

0:36 to 1:14 - The scene cuts back to the castle in Stockholm, where Gustavus's spouse Maria Eleonora (of Brandenburg. Not to be confused with Maria Theresa) is alone at the castle, deeply worried about her husband. The fiddle/violin part could easily be the song of her lament towards his decision to join the war, and how Sweden will be affected is he falls in battle, since their only heir was Kristina.

1:15 to 1:35 - The scene cuts back to the battlefield in Lützen, November 6th 1632 with His Majesty, and their preparations to attack are ready. The fog is thick, but that will not stop them from advancing towards the German troops. New holy Roman Empire my foot.

1:40 to 2:09 - The battle starts, with small field cannons firing, cavalry charging, swords swinging. It becomes utter chaos as everyone fights, and the fog stays thick.

2:09 to 2:37 - Gustavus himself get lost in the fog from his troops, and accompanied with somewhat bad eyesight, he has no idea where he is. Desperately trying to find his forces, he rides around. Some German troops spot him and asks him who he is, and he replies "I'm the King of Sweden!" to which the German promptly shot and killed him. The news spread like wildfire that the Swedish regent and commander has fallen. He is dead and along with it the morale of the Swedish troops.

2:37 to end - A sombre silence is about when the sad news spreads back tot he home country. But in the end, Sweden's effort were not to be forgotten. They played an important part of history.

And that, my friends, is why Sweden's war theme is not "just a corruption". IT tells the story of Gustavus's last moments as a king and a general of his army (though he should have refrained from designing warships, seriously).

Arabia: My ham went unnoticed, therefore I take my points back. But in all honesty, while the buildup is nice, it takes a little bit too long to get kicking.

BONUS ROUND!
Germany
: A lot of people slammed this unfairly. Not every war theme has to be a "cörröptiön" or fast paced or tell a story. The reason why this theme sounds a bit mellow and slow is because the Germans are DISCIPLINED! None of this "artghblargh kill murder yar I'm drunk like Attila" crap. It's self controlled, calculated and looming. Much like Bismarck himself. Every move he makes he knows will lead to good things.

Also, question. For all of the days I haven't voted, do I get to keep those points and use them all in one go?

Wait, what? I go away from the thread for a bit and people are downvoting Sweden and Arabia?! Kill the crap that is the Zulu/Portuguese/Shoshone's theme first!

Arabia - 21
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 21
Dutch - 23
England - 21
Greece - 20
Huns - 22
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 12
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 13+1=14 - the Doctor above is right on this count. Sweden's theme is an amazing piece that changes paces in precisely the right places.
Zulu - 23-3=20 - Ooh, Shaka, you're real tough and, well, looks like we forgot to have anything else happen in the song. Sorry, now die before my Caroleans/Camel Archers.

I meant Sweden was an obvious corruption because you can listen to both versions and immediately hear the similarities between the two. Not a lot of themes in the game have that.

Oh, and I did take your request into consideration... I have sent hams to your location, Vic. It should begin to rain hams in your location shortly.

Arabia - 21
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 21
Dutch - 23
England - 21
Greece - 20
Huns - 22-3=19
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 12
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 14+1=15
Zulu - 20

Sweden: I side with the save Sweden group. This theme is not going out next.

Huns: It's good, but I'm one to think that this theme would better suit a Pirate civ. Don't judge.

Arabia - 21
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 21
Dutch - 23
England - 21
Greece - 20
Huns - 16
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 12
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16
Zulu - 20

Sweden: Damnit Sweden you will prevail whether you like it or not!

Huns: While this theme does have good parts, it sounds kind of generic, and I find it very repetitive. Let's ram this guy back to the stone age!

Edit: Just realized that sounds really wrong.

Arabia - 21
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 21
Dutch - 23
England - 21
Greece - 20-3=17 I hear this theme FAR too often...
Huns - 16
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 12
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16
Zulu - 20+1=21 Will not die on my watch!

Arabia - 21
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 21
Dutch - 23
England - 21
Greece - 17
Huns - 16+1=17
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 12-3=9
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16
Zulu - 21

Huns: You ain't being eliminated on my watch.

Ottomans: After reading the Doktor's vote and listening to this and Sweden's theme numerous times, I believe the Ottomans should be kicked next.

im still comin for u swedes

Arabia - 21+1=22
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 21-3=18
Dutch - 23
England - 21
Greece - 17
Huns - 17
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 9
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16
Zulu - 21

What happened with Arabia's score? Did it get downvoted twice in a row or something? Surprised to not see it among the top scorers.

Don't want to hound on a single theme (Sweden's) too much, so I'll downvote Carthage for now. It's not as good as the Huns' or the Ottomans'.

Arabia - 22+1=23
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 18
Dutch - 23-3=20
England - 21
Greece - 17
Huns - 17
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 9
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16
Zulu - 21

Arabia: Well, I mgiht've been a little harsh on the whole Arabia thing. While it does have a slowish looming start, when it kicks off in a fast pace it's when you finally move your Camel Archers in for the sweep. Quite fitting.

Yes, I have upvoted it, downvoted it, and upvoted it. I can change my mind.

Netherlands: Don't get me wrong, the beginning of this theme is awesome. You could picture William of Orange stomping angrily towards the harbour with an incredibly pissed off look on his face. And then he would jump on top of one of his Sea Beggars and charge towards the enemy coastal cities, and runnign the Sea Beggar's across the landmass because they're SEA BEGGARS!

But then it just slows down in the middle and becomes mehish... Sorry.

Arabia - 23
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 25
Carthage - 18
Dutch - 20
England - 21 + 1 = 22 Come on, the most intimidating war theme in the game is lower than...Babylon?! England's war theme makes one think that you'd better do what they want or you'll get some longbows/SotLs to the face.
Greece - 17
Huns - 17
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 9
Poland - 25
Portugal - 23 - 3 = 20 - Wow, shocked this was this highly ranked. No threat behind it at all.
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16
Zulu - 21

Arabia - 23
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 26
Carthage - 18
Dutch - 20
England - 22
Greece - 17
Huns - 14
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 9
Poland - 25
Portugal - 20
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16
Zulu - 21

Byzantium: As previously stated on numerous occasions, this theme is dark, terrifying and freaking epic. Will always be one of my favourites.

Huns: Defend it all you want, this theme is going DOWN.

Germany: Yah I do have to admit, after listening to this theme multiple times, it's pretty awesome. And dark. I like it.

Arabia - 23
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 26
Carthage - 18-3=15
Dutch - 20+1=21
England - 22
Greece - 17
Huns - 14
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 9
Poland - 25
Portugal - 20
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16
Zulu - 21

Dutch: I still believe in you, William! Also, Sweden's theme has an awesome beginning, lots of downtime in the middle, and then is awesome at the end, just like the Dutch. Just some food for thought.

Carthage: The only reason I'm choosing Carthage over the Huns is because the Carthaginian theme IS AS LOUD AS A PACK OF NOISY ELEPHANTS while the Hunnic theme is a little quieter.

Also, Vic, I believe you have learned an important lesson. Just because you don't receive hams doesn't mean you should downvote a perfectly good theme.

The whole thing about hams was referring to hammy acting, since I kinda went a little overboard describing Arabia's theme, y'know. EDIT: Also, I'm not some kind of know-it-all of music or anything. I just like trying to give an extended view on what I feel from a theme. After all, I have tried to at least upvote as many different themes as possible.

And seeing how things are going in the thread as of now...

This is where the wars start.

Arabia - 23
Assyria - 21
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 26
Carthage - 15
Dutch - 21
England - 22
Greece - 17
Huns - 14
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 9
Poland - 25
Portugal - 20 -3 = 17
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 16 +1 = 17
Zulu - 21

I don't like Swedens peace theame but the dark version kicks! I don't think it's the best wartheme but as I swede I have to make things right!

Portugal is the only of the remaining themes I can't remember how it sounds and that's not a good sign for a winner!

And come on! Ottomans is great! Save em!

Arabia - 23
Assyria - 21-3=18
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 26
Carthage - 15
Dutch - 21
England - 22
Greece - 17
Huns - 14
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 9+1=10
Poland - 25
Portugal - 17
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 17
Zulu - 21

As much as I want to defend Portugal's theme, the Ottomans need my support more. Great aggressive tune.

I've reached the conclusion that Assyria's theme is about on par with Carthage's and Sweden's, so it's only fair that I start downvoting it as well.

Arabia - 23
Assyria - 18
Babylon - 24
Brazil - 26
Byzantium - 26 - 3 = 23 - A choral piece is this high? I think not...
Carthage - 15
Dutch - 21
England - 22
Greece - 17
Huns - 14
Indonesia - 25
Mongolia - 24
Ottoman - 10
Poland - 25
Portugal - 17
Russia - 24
Shoshone - 26
Spain - 24
Sweden - 17 + 1 = 18 - More love for Sweden!
Zulu - 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom