We love the...

seangregorycarroll

Chieftain
I just got done reading the strategy on using this early on... well, i must be an idiot because I can't seem to get it right. Playing on King with vanilla, jacked my luxuries all the way up to 80% and everytime it triggers it's just canceled they next turn and/or my people start starving. I also can't figure out why two identical cities do not have an equal number of happy/content citizens.

I take it that you are using republic celebration for growth.

In order to celebrate a city, you have to have enough trade (after corruption) to produce enough luxuries to make half your citizens happy (and then use structures to make the rest content). This involves manipulating the placement of workers within cities, setting them to trade tiles (ocean, grassland road).

How do you define "two identical cities"? There are a several variables that affect happiness, so your cities are probably not identical.

You might have your celebration cancelled because it worked properly. When your city grows, the new citizen will be unhappy by default, so, if you don't monitor your cities every turn and make adjustments, the city will cancel celebration because of the new unhappy citizen. Hunger can be caused when the city has 1 surplus and there are no food producing squares for the new citizen to use.

Successful civilization play requires you to pay close attention to each city (eventually you will be able to solve most problems automatically), and this is especially true when trying to play republic or democracy. You have to alter production to suit your goals and needs; the computer defaults are NOT good advice (except by accident). You have to understand city mechanics. Use the "happy" button in the city status screen to see exactly how the happiness of your city is calculated.

The important thing to remember is that the number of chalices which count toward making your citizens happy is 2x(City Size) no matter what your luxury rate or how much trade your city produces. If you do the arithmetic you will see that your city will stop celebrating every time there is an odd number of citizens if you have extra unhappiness due to having too many cities. There are three and a half solutions to this:

1. Hanging Gardens will give one extra happy citizen.

2. Cure for Cancer works just like the hanging gardens

3. In democracy, a courthouse will give one extra happy citizen.

and a half: Sometimes, if you have a very large number of cities, your first citizen is 'double unhappy' (icon is black rather than blue or red). In that case, there is a quirk in the game which causes black-faces to change to happy status with only two chalices rather than four. I call this a half solution because you need a ton of cities to get your first citizen to be black faced and even then it will only happen in certain cities.

I always played on deity and the double unhappiness was a real bonus for getting WLTP days. Above 24 if my memory is correct all cities had a black person and this made getting the happy days much easier. But between 12 and 24 cities was a black spot where gaining those days was difficult and therefore I tried to jump quickly from 12 cities to 24. On lower levels of play the number of cities required for WLTP days to fail or be successful increase substantially.

Top Bottom