Well, I just finished a game on a huge map....

MykC

Warlord
Map: Pangea
Size: Huge
Number of Ai: 22
Number of City States: 28
Speed: Stanard

Race: Alexander
Difficulty: Emperor

So slow....

I have a pretty decenent machine and the game struggled. Like early turns took a couple of seconds to process turns around turn 300 (I play windowed) it was so slow and would make the screen act funny making me think it would crash. The turns took about 45 seconds to process at this point and I had the quick move mod on.

corei7860
8gb ram
Nvidia 470

I'm pretty sure that you can't finish a game on Great Plains and Epic speed is not possible with today technology.

Anyways, I won that game via diplomatic win cause at around turn 200 I was like, this is too much work via dominatoin. And I'm pretty sure I would lost, one of the AI had about double my score when I choose a different victory path. Need 17 to win and I had 19. About 2 turns before the UN vote everyone declared war and starting buying up the on allied city states.

The odd hing is that I don't think all of AI opponents and City States were put in, but I did run into two Washingtons.

Wow. I applaud you for sticking through the laggy turns. GJ.

Cheers.

Hmmm i only play marathon games on huge maps. Finished 4 of them so far. Have i7 930 12GB RAM, 4870x2 and turns really don't take to much to load at least i don't feel it being to slow. Alltho i play with 10 enemyes and 18 city states. What does take to long is same settings in multy player. That is just unreasonably slow.

I kinda like the long games, with maybe som RP elements to it. That's why i play those settings.

I can agree with the fact that huge map seems to slow the game down dramaticaly more than a large map, this sucks as I prefer to play on huge but am stuck playing on large.

My computer is not quite as powerful yours (to the OP). I find that huge maps require too much patience with load times and lag to play currently (with graphics on minimum settings). Even standard maps start to get laggy on my computer after a decent ways into the game (good video card and 6 GBs of RAM).

I prefer to play large over standard. Right now I mainly play on large rather than huge due to the present state of gameplay and due to speed considerations. In Civs 2-4 I would almost always play on a huge map (or whatever the largest options were in Civs 2-3).

If large civilizations sometimes collapsed or suffered decline that would be nice for larger size maps. Hopefully the rebels will at least sometimes cause this to occur.

I have never had any problems with slow down, even on the huge maps. Probably has a lot to do with processor.

I'm suffering the same problem. Been playing mostly on stardard or the one before huge and doing fine in terms of turn time, but i recently tried a large map setting in my last game, was quite enjoying myself until i got to about late industrial age, the game started slowing down so much, like the OP described, the point i decided to stop playing cos i dont really have the time to wait 45-1 minute a turn.

Anyways, my question is, anything we can do in game to reduce that time? ie settings etc?

I don't think there is really anything that can be done. Its simply takes that much time. It begs the question what the AI processing so drastically different that causes it to take this long? I mean there should be option of quick turns or something.

I use the quick move mod which I think speeds things up a bit.
And apparently you should never re-load in the game.

I'm not sure if this applies but manual saves and quick saves should be avoided.

Yeah.. My computer which is a couple of years old, with a core2duo CPU and 2 GB of RAM was seriously struggling with Civ V. I mostly played through the strategic view, and that speeded things up quite a bit. (Even though graphics settings was at the lowest settings and I have top of the line GPU from 2-3 years ago. The graphics part seems to be coded really inefficient.

I bought a brand new ASUS g73jw gaming laptop mostly due to my old PC having difficulties with Civ V. Haven't played end game much, but turns are still surprisingly slow.

Hoping future patches will make things way more efficient. I remember there being horrific bugs in Civ IV eating resources that was fixed in patches at least.

I also play huge maps with loads of AIs and city states, though I like to play small continents/continents/archipelago maps.

I guess my question was, if we turn all the settings all the way down, will it speed up the turns?

Also, again, no technician, but I'm sure something could be figured out to make it somewhat quicker. I mean, what about RTS where they dont have any time to think about it.

Perhaps what they should have done was have the computer decided all the non relevant actions while a player is actually taking his turn. IE, all the calculations that could not be affected my any of my possible actions during that turn. If China is halfway across the map and there is nothing I can possibly do to affect her decisions, they should already be pre-decided while I'm actually taking my turn. Might save a lot of time. Just a thought

Some of the turn time is, apparently, solved by switching to strategic view between turns. Presumably this is because units aren't animated in Strat. View, so all the commands to move the pixels are removed.

I haven't actually observed this, as I've only played a single large game with ended just after I hit the industrial era, so interturn times never got past that threshold of 45secs-1min where they'd bother me enough to do something about it.

Top Bottom