What additional civilizations do you want in Civilization 5? [Post-BNW Edition]

What additional civilizations do you want in Civilization 5?

• Total voters
The Khmer built Angkor Wat, had gigantic irrigation and canal systems (that subsequently collapsed and disappeared after they declined, sadly), and had the largest land empire in mainland SE Asia. Personally I think they're the most deserving out of the SE Asians, and I was a little surprised Siam was included over them when Civ5 first came out.

Their playstyles would probably somehow reflect either the gigantic irrigation systems and the abundant agricultural production based on rather clever techniques, or their religious architecture.
I think they would trip over each others feet, and when there are more pressing areas to fill up like Africa and the Eurasian Steppes I don't see why we should bother in Civ 5, In Civ 6 Sure... Why not.
I think for now we should just have Vietnam.

@seancolorado: Good briefing on the big three SE Asian candidates left. They'd all be good and awesome in their own ways, it's unfortunate this civ-choosing business is so zero-sum. :(
:confused:Um... First of all this isn't zero-sum...
Second of all you need a zero-sum mentality... it's the way of life...:confused:

:confused:Um... First of all this isn't zero-sum...
Second of all you need a zero-sum mentality... it's the way of life...:confused:

Well, if there is a new expansion, if someone gets it, someone else can't. There's only so many civs they can realistically insert, and we'll probably never see all the good ones. That's what I meant. It's how the game works.

Hungary
Leader: Matthias Corvinus
Colors: Background Foreground
Capital: Budapest
UA: Elisabeth Batory's bloodbath - Heals from each enemy unit killed. Can sacrifice civilian unit to grain +15 XP
UU: Hungarian horseman - replaces Horseman. Strength: 9 Ranged Strength: 10
UB: Fortified church. Replaces Temple. +4 :c5strength: defence +2:c5culture: for wine resource
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villages_with_fortified_churches_in_Transylvania

Leader screen background: http://www.herravendomain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/draculas_castle.jpg

I like this poll, it's very well rounded out. Civs that seem to be missing, but which I don't necessarily want in, are:

• Apache/Navajo
  • Benin/Dahomey (Amazon Warriors, wohoo!)
  • Bulgaria/Thrace*
  • Chachapoya
  • Chola / Tamils
  • Etruscans
  • Haida/Tinglit
  • Illyrians/Serbia/Yugoslavia*
  • Maurya/Mughals/Harrapan (= second Northern Indian civ)
  • Mapuche/Nazca
  • Merina/Malayans
  • Mississippi (Cahokia)
  • Minoans/Seleucids (or even Troy :))
  • Nigeria (a combination civ)
  • Romania (incl. Wallachia/Vlad Tepes)
  • Seminole
  • Sioux/Lakota
  • Taino/Arawak
  • Yoruba
  • Special Mention: Pueblo/Hopi/Anaszasi (they would've been in...), Italy (Venice and Rome cover it for some, for some not), Aborigines (covered by Australia?)

*I know, the modern and ancient versions are not related, but I wanted the list to not become too long

It's amazing how long a list one can still create which just shows that theres always that one civ more you can include... ;)

As for a perfect poll, I believe several 'thematic' other categories do play a useful part (whereas a outsourced poll just grows to be too huge for most people to vote...), I'd put these categories as other
Modern Nations, Classical Era Civ, African, Middle and South American, Native North American, Asian.

Though then it's unclear where you put Argentinia f.e.

Actually Armenia is in the poll

Voted for:
- Hittites
- Kongo
- Kush/Nubia
- Tibet
- Timurids
- Vietnam
- Other - Switzerland, although they might be kinda redundant with Tibet, and Phoenicia.

I would like to see:

Haida
UA: +1 culture per sea resource; +1 faith per mountain (including natural wonders)
UU: War Canoe - Replaces Trireme. Cheaper and weaker than Trireme; starts with prize ships promotion.
UB: Totem Pole - Replaces Monument. +10% culture in this city.

Well, if there is a new expansion, if someone gets it, someone else can't. There's only so many civs they can realistically insert, and we'll probably never see all the good ones. That's what I meant. It's how the game works.
Okay.

My list:
1. Israel
2. Inuit
3. Cuba
4. Chinook
5. Vietnam
6. Switzerland
7. Nigeria
8. Tibet
9. Romania

Spoiler :

Malacca Sultanate.
Leader: Hang Tuah
UA: Maritime Laws of Malacca: provides +2 :c5gold: gold from fishing boat improvement, receive a Great Merchant when research Optics.
UU: Pendekar: Replace Swordsman, doesn't need iron, start with blitz promotion
UB: Bandar: Replace Seaport, +2:c5gold: gold
what do you think?

Malacca Sultanate.
Leader: Hang Tuah
UA: Maritime Laws of Malacca: provides +2 gold from fishing boat improvement, receive a Great Merchant when research Optics.
UU: Pendekar: Replace Swordsman, doesn't need iron, start with blitz promotion
UB: Bandar: Replace Seaport, +2 gold

what do you think?

A bit boring, no active abilities. Try to create abilities that work with the surroundings or create synergies. This civ wouldn't play itself particularly different. Like:

I would like to see:

Haida
UA: +1 culture per sea resource; +1 faith per mountain (including natural wonders)
UU: War Canoe - Replaces Trireme. Cheaper and weaker than Trireme; starts with prize ships promotion.
UB: Totem Pole - Replaces Monument. +10% culture in this city.

This makes them go crazy naval in the beginning. Though the monument is a bit bland in that it doesn't give any benefits until you've developed your city a bit which normally takes a few eras (it needs 10 base culture to provide a benefit, which takes a few sea ressources + palace + monument + probably a theatre). The war canoe is not the best idea since it requires the ottomans to get a new ability (can't have the same thing twice). The UA is okay though since it offers you benefits which you need to chose (work the sea ressource or the mountain). It's not a super powerful one, but it's okay...

A bit boring, no active abilities. Try to create abilities that work with the surroundings or create synergies. This civ wouldn't play itself particularly different.
yep, i must improve my idea. it was'nt final form, just need an opinion :D

Afghans
Bulgarians
Hittites
Hungarians
Khazars
Khmer
Kongolese
Nubians
Sumerians
Taino
Tamils
Vietnamese

So why all the love for Kongo (which has a substantial lead in the poll right now)? I definitely agree that the game needs more sub-Saharan African civs, but Kongo is pretty low on my list—definitely after Nubia and Asanteman, probably after Somalia and Kanem-Bornu too. What makes Kongo so fascinating? I don't see much in their history that would point to really interesting abilities.

So why all the love for Kongo (which has a substantial lead in the poll right now)? I definitely agree that the game needs more sub-Saharan African civs, but Kongo is pretty low on my list—definitely after Nubia and Asanteman, probably after Somalia and Kanem-Bornu too. What makes Kongo so fascinating? I don't see much in their history that would point to really interesting abilities.

From my point of view it would be nice to have one more jungle civ rich in resources. It gives lot of possibilities
1. Congo Riches - UA, or UB replacing mint would give double :commerce: from trade routes with mercantile CS if you have gold, or jewels :)
2. Slavery Route - UA or UU replacing worker allowing to sell civilian units.
3. Rumble in a Jungle - +2 :c5gold: or :c5culture: from Colosseum +1 tourism after discover Refrigeration.
and many more...

yep, i must improve my idea. it was'nt final form, just need an opinion :D

Yeah, sure. a) Malacca sultanate is to me too small a political entity, I'd rather go with "The Malay" or something. b) Expanding it this way lets you go more into the direction of "Pirates" (as opposed to the Indonesians included as peaceful traders), or is that just a stereotype? Malayan Pirates? c) As an UA, I'd make the extra gold into an active ability, like 'double plunder from sea trade routes', the Bandar could give ships a 'retreat' ability (like the Incan slinger), tieing yields to sea ressources is a good idea as well. Finally, there are so many swordmen UU's, why don't you push it back to say the musketman?

1. It's a big country known to people nowadays as its still a name of (two) states, unlike Kanem-Bornu or Ashante.
2. It's been 'advertised'/'much talked' about in this forum. Constant repetition brings things up.
3. It has a potential female leader which the game is lacking.

And so on... But all is subjective. I for one don't get the fascination with Nubia, I feel we don't need more antiquity civs at all and Nubia is pretty close to Egypt in my mind. Kongo on the other hand is from a region that doesn't have a civ already like Western Africa/Sahel with Songhai or Eastern Africa with Ethiopia. So it definately gets over Nubia and Kanem-Bornu for me, and the name recognition propels it over Ashante or Dahomey for me.

I for one don't get the fascination with Nubia, I feel we don't need more antiquity civs at all and Nubia is pretty close to Egypt in my mind. Kongo on the other hand is from a region that doesn't have a civ already like Western Africa/Sahel with Songhai or Eastern Africa with Ethiopia. So it definately gets over Nubia and Kanem-Bornu for me, and the name recognition propels it over Ashante or Dahomey for me.

Yeah, the geographical thing is a good point. Kongo is probably the best choice for a sub-Saharan civ that was nowhere near the Songhai, Ethiopia, or the Zulu.

Still, Nzinga would be a somewhat dodgy choice, whereas Nubia has some badass female leaders who actually ruled all of Kush. Amanirenas defeated the Romans in battle, and she only had one eye. How awesome would that be as a leader screen? Sword, bow, eyepatch. The Ashanti have a potential female leader too. Both the Ashanti and the Nubians have obvious cultural/historical referents that would make good Civ-stuff (for the Ashanti, the Golden Stool, kente cloth, metalworking, talking drums, a sophisticated military system; for Nubia, pyramids, bloomeries, famous skill in archery, the Nile, important trade routes). Kongo had, what, an unusually big city? And a feudal system that was unusual for Africa but fairly similar to contemporary European societies. Cowrie shells, raffia—both hard to build in-game systems around—some good potential UUs, but what else?

Top Bottom