What Are You Listening To (Classical Version)?

Thanks, my friend. I will try to be more active on this thread again in a couple of weeks. But right now I am preparing to leave for Vienna, and to get into the right mood:

Link to video.

I am back, and trying to revive this thread for 2-3 people who still follow it...
When in Vienna, the sad news arrived that Frans Brüggen had left us. Personally I regard him as one of the truly great musicians of our time. I am too late to start a commemorative thread, so I will instead post some of his great performances. As a starter, here is one of the very best renditions of Mozart's three last symphonies I ever heard.

Link to video.

Nice. Haven't heard that one for quite some time. An intriguing work.
I am taking a small break with Brüggen to commemorate the birthday of the great Anton Bruckner.
Here is his to my mind underrated symphony No. 0 conducted by one of the truly outstanding Brucknerians.

Link to video.

Continuing with Brüggen, I have today come to Haydn, and one of his symphonies without a nickname. Brahms is supposed to have said after having heard the exquisite slow movement that he wanted his Ninth Symphony to sound like that...

Link to video.

This is good for studying:

Link to video.

Well, not really, as you'll just leave off the books and listen to it.

I listened to some Julian Bream a few days ago. A youth group leader had a record of him, and I "borrowed" it forever. I found the lute to be incredibly lovely.

An embarassing story. My dad was home from the Navy when I was about 8 or so, and pulled out a record with "Chopin" on the front. I asked, "Dad who is Chopping? He laughed and laughed, but played it, and I've been in love with Noctune #19 in E minor ever since.

Link to video.
Julian Bream Lachrimae by John Dowland

Link to video.
Chopin Nocturne #19 in E Minor (It's hard to listen to without tears falling on my cheeks. It makes me nostalgic and remembering broken relationships and loss.)

Top Bottom