What boardgames did you just play?

Best new game was probably Root.
All the factions you could choose played very differently. 1 of our group will probably pick it up.
Root's an awesome game, and it becomes more fun as the social aspect grows if you play repeatedly

I recently played Ticket to Ride for the first time. Surprisingly fun. Trains are always a great theme, but there was some real tension along the way too. Wound up in 2nd place out of 5, building routes from Miami to Toronto, Chicago to Santa Fe, and New York to Seattle. The winner got the longest route with a big loop through the Great Plains, Midwest, and Rockies. I'd wager more passengers would book my ticket than would travel from New Orleans to El Paso via Winnipeg, but much like in Catan, it's the longest route that wins, not the longest route that the average person would want to travel.

Only downside is the geography of the map leaves a bit to be desired, Duluth is way too far south, Chicago is in Indiana... they need to hire a geographer to help with the next printing!

I recently played Ticket to Ride for the first time. Surprisingly fun. Trains are always a great theme, but there was some real tension along the way too. Wound up in 2nd place out of 5, building routes from Miami to Toronto, Chicago to Santa Fe, and New York to Seattle. The winner got the longest route with a big loop through the Great Plains, Midwest, and Rockies. I'd wager more passengers would book my ticket than would travel from New Orleans to El Paso via Winnipeg, but much like in Catan, it's the longest route that wins, not the longest route that the average person would want to travel.

Only downside is the geography of the map leaves a bit to be desired, Duluth is way too far south, Chicago is in Indiana... they need to hire a geographer to help with the next printing!
You can win without longest route, I have many times. :)

You can win without longest route, I have many times. :)
I almost did. Moreso, I was surprised just how long the middle-of-the-country loop added up to. Miami-Seattle is a pretty long route!

I may pick up one of the other Ticket to Ride maps, to add some variety to the group's game collection.

Top Bottom