What civ to pick for my first deity win?

zxcvbob

Emperor
Actually, I won one with Venice, but that doesn't count because it was that April 1 deity challenge game with a very contrived start (started with Petra and lots of salt and fish and sheep, and 3 or 4 MoV's)

I'm thinking Shaka on a Mesopotamia map at epic speed with raging barbarians. Go for a domination victory; if I have a close neighbor start out with honor (right side first). If nobody is near me start with liberty, take the left side to the free settler then switch to honor.

In either case go full honor and commerce; no need for rationalism. If I have coal take order for my ideology, if not take autocracy or freedom.

Or would somebody like Poland or Babylon be better?

Or would somebody like Poland or Babylon be better?

Well duh... the civ with the science boost will always be better, even at warfare. Just rush artillery/battleships/bombers and conquer the AI since it doesnt know how to deal with units that have three range and lots of movement (in the case of battleships).

Poland eh, not a fan. They're a bit overrated IMHO.

Well duh... the civ with the science boost will always be better, even at warfare. Just rush artillery/battleships/bombers and conquer the AI since it doesnt know how to deal with units that have three range and lots of movement (in the case of battleships).

Poland eh, not a fan. They're a bit overrated IMHO.

Winged Hussars are very overrated. They're just another stupid lancer; one or two is nice to have, but you certainly don't want to build your whole military around them. The extra social policies are nice.

I played a quick 200 turns on epic speed as the Zulu. (it really did go fast) I got a pretty isolated start; just me and the barbs. France was nearby, but not near enough for a trade route to leach science. Eventually I could send them a trade route and it was immediately plundered by barbs; the camp sprung up on the very tile that the caravan was on so I had no time to send an Impi there to clear it.

I opened both Liberty and Honor. Took left side of Liberty and the right side of Honor (mixed 'em up) and then into Commerce. I built the pyramids, and my workers have improved every tile in my 4 cities already. Building the national college now, and then 2 or 3 more cities. I'm in last place in every category, and ten techs behind and falling farther back instead of catching up. Someone just founded the world congress. I've had major unhappiness for most of the game. Time to start over.

Oh no man, the Wings are all kinds of silly if you corner the unit you attack. If you attack on open ground, the pushback is a hassle but the extra damage they do if the opponent is cornered can get out of hand quite easily

As someone in the same position as you, i'd say the easiest deity win should be a full turtle science game as korea/babylon. If you get 4 good cities and enough luxes to grow them, you win. Make sure to keep gpt around to pay aggressive AI's to attack someone else.

Actually, I won one with Venice...
Venice is okay to civ to start with for Deity play, but not so much the DCL/CDG Venice games.

My first Deity game, and a win at that, was with Sweden going for Diplo from the start. Hand selected opponents so as to avoid Greece and Venice. That was okay. Then I lost my next four Deity attempts...

Doing it again, I would recommend playing from the DCL games in the Strategies and Tips forum. It is nice to know from the start that (1) the map is not terrible, and (2) that you can read through the thread for hints if you get stuck. Pick the civ you are in the mood to play, and give the map a try.

In addition to the Venice game being ... odd, Babylon and Siam are OCC. Other than that though, I think the rest are pretty straight forward, and every civ appears once. Some of the later games have indexes to all the earlier games, and some of the indexes are grouped as easy/medium/hard.

if you are not used to deity try aztec... In many deity game you will go to war fast and 2 upgraded UU helping your bowmans in a jungle/forest fronteer (usual setting for aztec) will go a long way to help you survive (and get free culture helping you to postpone culture buildng when you need units) just remember do not sell 2 iron you will need them to upgrade the UU. And if you are lucky and do not go to war (it happens 1/10) the UB is nice to have and the UU make a great scout (and get early free cultur when he meet a barbarian archer ;)).
Venise is great at deity ... IF
1) you are not crushed early (because you can avoid early war ... or you have a GREAT defensive start)
2) some naval power do not decide to start an endless naval war with you (canceling most trade routes... which is your biggest advantage).
remember that you insta buy the city state army with venise... no experience but great to get a BIG fleet fast if the navy is the only problem. (honestly was never a great help for my land army)

and remember if you want a religion you have to work for it at deity (beware if you try byzance).

well here's some legit suggestions:

Mongolia/Huns on Great Plains

Carthage/England on Archipelago/Small Continents

Aztecs on Lakes

Babylon/Korea/Ethiopia/Austria with generally peaceful neighbors

I love to use Napoleon. I use his culture perk, combined with building monuments and religious buildings in my cities to unlock Liberty and expand my empire rapidly in the beginning of the game. The added culture I get allows my cities to grow faster, which means I quickly obtain more resources to exploit for the benefit of my civ.

Aztecs on lakes map with raging barbs. Open both Tradition and Honor, fill both plus Rationalism? That should be good for either science or domination, maybe with enough barb kills to finish Honor before Rationalism unlocks to get the gold rolling in.

I don't play Monty very often. Even if I lose, it sounds like a fun game. :)

I started on Deity with Tich's Shoshone Overview- Aimed at Deity Pangea play http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=506043. Very solid concepts for a SV, and Shoshone give you some great early game advantages. I don't think I've ever lost on Deity following the guide, even with other civs.

Just like when Trump gets elected - you will win so much on Deity that you will get tired of winning, and then you will win some more... :p

Venise is great at deity ... IF
1) you are not crushed early (because you can avoid early war ... or you have a GREAT defensive start)
2) some naval power do not decide to start an endless naval war with you (canceling most trade routes... which is your biggest advantage).
remember that you insta buy the city state army with venise... no experience but great to get a BIG fleet fast if the navy is the only problem. (honestly was never a great help for my land army)

You're crazy for suggesting Venice for first win.

I started on Deity with Tich's Shoshone Overview- Aimed at Deity Pangea play http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=506043. Very solid concepts for a SV, and Shoshone give you some great early game advantages. I don't think I've ever lost on Deity following the guide, even with other civs.

Just like when Trump gets elected - you will win so much on Deity that you will get tired of winning, and then you will win some more... :p

I'm surprised I have never seen this guide, I'm saving it to my collection. Anyways, I suggest Huns and great plains and using this guide too: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=519905

As for the winning, many complain about how easy Deity is but I am not one of those. Huns make winning even easier if you play them right, the horse archer and battering ram are unstoppable in the right hands.

WW - Tich's guide is great. It's basically a turtling strategy, you can win with just Archers often. Maybe nothing new for experienced players, but it takes you through many things (the info is kind of spread around). I used to always refresh myself on his suggested tech path. You skip the top row of the tree until the end, for example.

WW - Tich's guide is great. It's basically a turtling strategy, you can win with just Archers often. Maybe nothing new for experienced players, but it takes you through many things (the info is kind of spread around). I used to always refresh myself on his suggested tech path. You skip the top row of the tree until the end, for example.

I found some useful stuff already, definetely a worthy addition to my library. Unfortunately, these guides can only take us so far before map-reading has to take over. Deity is kind of where the rubber meets the road there, even the best strategy guide can't make up for bad decision making like I do more than I should...

As usual, Tich's guide is old and you need to use the updated tradition start with monument. Also I think Freedom SV is easier to pull off.

You're crazy for suggesting Venice for first win.
If one is experienced with Venice at Immortal, why are they bad for a first time Deity attempt?

Venice plays so very differently than other civs, and they are no good for anything other than Freedom Diplo or SV. But, assuming that there are any three CS within trade range, I feel like they are EZ Mode.

Oh no man, if you have a psycho neighbor they will box you in by settling like 7 cities around you and that makes things tricky

Top Bottom