What Constitutes A Continent in Civ III

Tsargrad

Tsar Ivan IV - Legend!!
Ok, I know in the real world there are 7..

But say for example, playing on a map of Europe, and I built the pyramids where London is... Now would that only benefit the island containing present day England / Scotland / Wales?? Cos although it is just an island, what does the game consider it being.

For that, it just considers any connected land mass. So in a europe map, if you built the pyramids where London is, cities in Scotland would benifit but not cities in France or Ireland or Italy because the latter are not dirrectly connected with a land route to london.

Its kind of weird how they consider continents in Civ 3.

But yeah, a continent is considered one uninterrupted landmass. As long as its connected by land, its part of the continent. If its a 1 squared island, that is the entire continent.

On the other hand, a pyramid built in Madrid would benefit even a city in Vietnam or China

Don't think of continents in the political view, but in the geological one.

you consider that there is 7 continents in the world, but in fact, those continents are politicals continents, because real continents are only very big isles! eurasia, america, africa, antarctica, australia. Other lands are just isles! civ3 think of the world like that.
What is a continent or an isle is very human and the game cannot see the world like us.
I hope that you understood what i mean (my english is very poor, sorry! :D )

Originally posted by stgelven
you consider that there is 7 continents in the world, but in fact, those continents are politicals continents, because real continents are only very big isles! eurasia, america, africa, antarctica, australia. Other lands are just isles! civ3 think of the world like that.
What is a continent or an isle is very human and the game cannot see the world like us.

Well said!:goodjob: Your English was fine because I understood you perfectly.

Originally posted by stgelven

Except that Africa is connected to Eurasia. And in civ3 there is not antarctica (well on some maps there are). So vasically there is Eurasica, America, Australia :)

The maps of Civilization are just randomly generated based on the preferences the user sets (land mass, percentage of water, temperature, weather, age). They don't pretend to represent the continents of Earth or any other specific planet

Well actually North America and Sout America arent on Continent because they arent connected. One very narrow strip of water called the pana canal seperates the two continents. Even though it is man made it still counts as not being connected anymore.;)

There are thousands - no, probably millions - of continents in the world according to Civ3. :D

Of course, I think any landmass should be considered a continent. It wouldn't make sense if an island didn't get the benefit of a wonder because it wasn't a continent.

The Panama Canal not being at sea-level, I think a decent case could be made that North and South America are connected, but Africa and Eurasia are not.

Now, in Civ terms, either canal would just be a city on a chokepoint, and thus not cutting a continent in two.

Geologically, there are continental plate boundaries in Panama and Suez. But then, there's also one in the Himalayas.

The Last Conformist i agree you

the fact is that in civ3 a continent is just a landmass, the game do not consideer the entire civ for the effect of a wonder but just the continent where it is build, that sometime could be a problem, but elsewhere, we have to intergrate that in our strategy and doing with it.

Top Bottom