[GS] What do people want to see for Civ? (unofficial survey)

Unofficial Civ Survey - Pt A how should FXS add more content? Pt B what sort of content?

• A-6 Civ Spin-Off (BE, Colonization, something else)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

acluewithout

Deity
Hi All

We’re getting something. Not sure what. Not sure when. Something.

Rather keep speculating on what we might get, perhaps we could have a chat about would like to see long term? FXS did a survey last year, but the options were very limited. I thought I’d try to create an “unofficial” survey for Civ Fanatics.

Survey rules:
  • Survey has two parts. Choose one option from Part A (i.e. Part A is single choice). Choose between three to five options from Part B (i.e. Part B is multi-choice, max 5 choices).

• Part A basically asks "assuming Civ was supported for another year or so, how would you like additional content added to the game?" Please pick only one option.

• Options range from a full Expansions in the style of RnF and GS; “Mini-Expansions” which would be DLC based around a central theme that introduces Leaders / Civs, Wonders, Scenarios, but also units, buildings, and also some small new mechanics; more traditional Leader, Wonder and Scenario Packs that basically don’t have additional mechanics; just (free) patches; and lastly no more content for Civ 6 and instead either Civ 7 or a Spin-off.
  • Part B asks "assuming FXS keeps providing content for Civ 6 (so, options A-1 to A-4), what are the types of content you'd like to see?". Please pick the three to five options you're most interested in.

• I've tried to cover most of the areas people have discussed over the past 6 months and keep them pretty high level. Apologies if I've left something out.
  • Total responses are capped at 6, so you can choose one (1) option for Part A and up to five (5) options for Part B
  • Patches (and the AI). Please assume that for all options, FXS would continue patching the game including improvements to the AI (Option A-4 being just patches and nothing else). If people want, I'll do a separate survey focused on what needs patching.

• Posting: please post about what you’ve picked and why. If you’re commenting on Part B, please try to post more about why you think a particular area needs more content rather than posting about spcific ideas (which is really more for the ideas thread).
Have fun!

(And yes, I'm just posting this to kill time until we get some actual news about Civ. For goodness sake, it's almost March!!)

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I'd certainly want FXS to keep working on Civ VI rather than move onto new projects. The development cycle with games seems so long, that I fear if FXS started working on Civ VII or BEII, we probably wouldn't actually end up with a satisfying game until like 2025.

In terms of content, I think the main macro-areas where the game needs work are (1) making wide play more fun - currently the game favours wide, and overall I think that's a good thing, but wide empires involve a lot of micro and lack a large degree of tension, (2) the end game generally, because frankly all the Eras after about the Renaissance feel pretty irrelevant and empty, and there is just a general lack of challenge at that part of the game, and (3) bringing across more content from Civ V and indeed BE and other spin-offs, because the game feels "incomplete" without some of this content.

But that's just my two cents.

Where is the option "AI improvement"?

Where is the option "AI improvement"?

I've amended the OP to clarify.

The AI seems to me something that would be addressed through Patches / Updates. The "survey" (poll, whatever) is just asking about future content, rather than patches that would improve the existing game. If people want, I'll do another survey asking people areas where they think the game needs patching, which would of course include improving the AI.

My “other” vote is to improve diplomacy.

At the moment it is too easy to meet Gilga on turn 10 make friends and be allies at the end of the game. I would like to see shifting friendships and alliances as happened historically.

I would also like it to be possible to break friendships/alliances if one party does something to generate grievances against the other e.g. your friend invades your city state.

I would also like a option to backstab a friend for double grievances and I would get rid of the relationship positive modifiers for being a friend or ally as it makes it too easy to keep renewing friendships.

Another thing I would improve is the joint war system as at the moment you can join a war for money, do nothing and then peace out after 10 turns.

I also voted for immigration, although what I would really like is each citizen in a city being assigned a culture.

For what it's worth, I'd certainly want FXS to keep working on Civ VI rather than move onto new projects. The development cycle with games seems so long, that I fear if FXS started working on Civ VII or BEII, we probably wouldn't actually end up with a satisfying game until like 2025.

In terms of content, I think the main macro-areas where the game needs work are (1) making wide play more fun - currently the game favours wide, and overall I think that's a good thing, but wide empires involve a lot of micro and lack a large degree of tension, (2) the end game generally, because frankly all the Eras after about the Renaissance feel pretty irrelevant and empty, and there is just a general lack of challenge at that part of the game, and (3) bringing across more content from Civ V and indeed BE and other spin-offs, because the game feels "incomplete" without some of this content.

But that's just my two cents.
You should have said "that I fear if FXS started working on Civ VII or BEII, we probably wouldn't actually end up with a satisfying game until ' in the year 2525 if man is still alive if woman can survive' " thanks Z&E.
For myself I want none of the above until they fix the current games problems, they then can go to an expansion or Civ VII game that has been playtested by more than the usual dozen or so playtesters, so it is as bug free as possible before release (one can dream).
On the subject of a BE or other spin off not only no but hell no I will not buy it I made the mistake of buying that abysmal rip off BE and will never buy another non mainline Civ game from Firaxis or Anything from 2K, and will wait till VII's ultimate addition comes out at 75% off.

Last edited:
that I fear if FXS started working on Civ VII or BEII, we probably wouldn't actually end up with a satisfying game until like 2025.

By satisfying game, you mean the Complete Edition or the Vanilla ? Because if you mean the Vanilla, they are probably already working on it, especially with the concurrence coming up (Amplitude Studios with Humankind). All we need at that point is an announcement. And with all the great ideas ( :mischief: ) out there thanks to Boris Gudenuf and the like, they are for sure playtesting some ideas, if not specifically for CivVII, you know, like R&D and the like.

I think the game would be fine if we got one more expansion so I voted for that.

To go off of the one expansion my other choices were:
New Civs, Leaders, and Wonders. This is a given with any new expansion.

New Districts/Buildings. I'd like to see more options for the Neighborhood like a Police Station, Public School etc. and an Opera House mutually exclusive to the Broadcast Center in the Theater Square. A Medical Facility district to go with a new Health/Disease mechanic would be needed.

I also voted for Corporations and Immigration which can tie into both a new Economic Victory and Cultural Victory respectively.

I don't want any more contents, I just want a base game working with map sizes and modding support similar to civ4 and civ5.

More Full Expansions - I want more functionality and i'm willing to pay for it.

Districts and buildings - More building options which interact with the map and trade routes. And 2nd @Alexander's Hetaroi 's ideas.
Edit: A few more details:
Industrial Zone Buildings:
Tier 3 Options:
Assembly Line:
Available at Electricity
Production equal to the district's current adjacency bonus. (Can be modified by Policy Cards and Nikola Tesla's ability, despite its base Production bonus not being regional.)
Maintenance 12

Automated Factory:
+6 Production
+12 Production additionally when Powered.
Maintenance 12

For Districts I would remove the Power Buildings into their own district.
Edit: A few more details:
Power District
Grants 1 Power, +1 Power when adjacent to coast, +1 Power when adjacent to a river.
Buildings:
Coal Power Plant:
+3 Production to all City Centers within 6 tiles of the Power District.
Converts Coal into Power for this city and other cities whose City Centers are within 6 tiles. (Conversion rate: 1 Coal → 4 Power)

Oil Power Plant:
+6 Production. Bonus extends to all City Centerswithin 6 tiles of the district.

Nuclear Power Plant:

Economics & Trade - More maintenance costs for unit and promotions to go along the additional gold coming in from the buildings.

Last edited:
Oh dear. This thread seems to have been sent to Ideas & Suggestions Forum to die. I guess my bad posting it on the main thread.

I went for patches only. Tired of new toys that are broken.
The game works, seems like it is as intended and feel full.
Just tidy the goddamn thing up.
Put some civs in that maybe are missing of not. ‘Tis good enuf

I can sympathise with the desire to have FXS to fix what we have rather than add more stuff, but I also think they often use new stuff as a vehicle to fix old stuff at least with respect to balance. Industrial Zones are a case in point - FXS could have rebalanced them at any time, but I suspect it was easier to rebalance them with more infrastructure in the game post GS.

Of course, there is also more buggy stuff that just needs to get fixed. And, of course, the AI.

I don't want any more contents, I just want a base game working with map sizes and modding support similar to civ4 and civ5.

I think the game is missing some key content which needs to come from FXS, and perhaps that is the reasons some modding stuff has been delayed. But at the same time, I think modders need to be given more scope in order for the game to really feel complete. With the best will in the world, I can't see FXS ever really getting the AI right - that is going to need modders who have more time and ability to understand the game's meta.

For Districts I would remove the Power Buildings into their own district.

Yes please. Or at least have the option for IZ T3 buildings to be something other than "power".

Back
Top Bottom