What do we know about the next expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some guy in another post - I don't remember who right now - said that a friend or acquaintance of his that work at Firax, told him that they are working on 3 new mechanics never seen on civilization franchise! I don't know if its true, but since civ 6 already brought a lot of new ways...I am excited.
Definetily World Congress, late mechanics, something with tourism....and there is a part in the last expasion trailer that make me feel as if they were to add some kind welth and /sanitation mechanic?!

Some guy in another post - I don't remember who right now - said that a friend or acquaintance of his that work at Firax, told him that they are working on 3 new mechanics never seen on civilization franchise! I don't know if its true, but since civ 6 already brought a lot of new ways...I am excited.

That would be consistent with the behaviour of the development team. They seem to be very much motivated by the new and the cool.

All the more reason to hope the DLL gets released soon, to give others the ability to balance and teach the AI to use any new mechanics that get introduced.

Definetily World Congress, late mechanics, something with tourism....and there is a part in the last expasion trailer that make me feel as if they were to add some kind welth and /sanitation mechanic?!
Besides the World congress and railroads I'm also surprised we don't have hospitals yet, and I'm hoping that would come with a health mechanic.

Besides the World congress and railroads I'm also surprised we don't have hospitals yet, and I'm hoping that would come with a health mechanic.

Don't you think we're at mechanic saturation point already? I hope they concentrate on making the current ones awesome, instead of leaving then going on to the next Shiny New Thing.

Don't you think we're at mechanic saturation point already? I hope they concentrate on making the current ones awesome, instead of leaving then going on to the next Shiny New Thing.

Honestly, I felt like BNW exceeded mechanic saturation and was the lesser of the two expansions for Civ V. The WC in particular was tedious, like complication for complication's sake. Trade routes also, but the interface has been sufficiently improved for Civ VI thankfully.

It's a legit issue.

Honestly, I felt like BNW exceeded mechanic saturation and was the lesser of the two expansions for Civ V. The WC in particular was tedious, like complication for complication's sake. Trade routes also, but the interface has been sufficiently improved for Civ VI thankfully.

It's a legit issue.

The one that comes to mind first for me is Civ4 BTS's Corporations, though I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Honestly, I felt like BNW exceeded mechanic saturation

I think that may be a reflection of Ed Beach's preferences.

The first Civ 5 expansion was Ed taking the best of Jon Shaffer's ideas and cleaning them up. And a darn good job he did, too! Then the second expansion added what I consider "bloat". Each of the mechanics by themselves was fine, but the fit with the rest of the game felt awkward.

Civ 6 was a chance to take everything back to the roots and create more natural integration between different systems. For myself, the impression I was left with was that, instead, each system seemed to have been designed by a different team. This may not be how it happened, but it felt like the work assignments went something like "We need a culture system in the game, so you work on that. We also need to have religions and a religious victory, so you work on that. Then we need City States, so can the two of you revamp that system?"

To me, the idea that Schrödinger's Expansion will add even more mechanics is very plausible. Each of them will, I expect, be really interesting ideas and fun to play with, in isolation. How they fit with the rest of the game, and how far back they set the poor AI, are to me, the open questions.

Really interesting to hear this take on BNW. I feel the complete opposite and cannot imagine playing it without every mechanic added in BNW.

+100

One big issue I have right now is the balance of yields. This includes both the balance of the relative importance of science/culture/faith/gold/production/food as well as the balance of tile+improvement yields relative to district+building yields.

Civ 6 was a chance to take everything back to the roots and create more natural integration between different systems. For myself, the impression I was left with was that, instead, each system seemed to have been designed by a different team.
This is a valid point. Civ6 is bursting at the seams with wonderful ideas. Unfortunately, virtually all of those ideas are either poorly implemented and/or work poorly with the other wonderful ideas. It's still a good game, but it has no coherent idea of what it wants to be or where it wants to go, which keeps it from being the great game it should be with all its wonderful ideas. Very pretty to look at, though...

I really think that the system of religion and culture/tourism should be improved, but I still think that a new mechanism that improves the end of the game is urgently needed.

I think this was a joke by someone .

If the mechanics don't fit together well enough, then that's the thing that whoever works on Civ VII should focus on, in my opinion; forge all these great ideas into a cohesive whole.

This is a valid point. Civ6 is bursting at the seams with wonderful ideas. Unfortunately, virtually all of those ideas are either poorly implemented and/or work poorly with the other wonderful ideas. It's still a good game, but it has no coherent idea of what it wants to be or where it wants to go, which keeps it from being the great game it should be with all its wonderful ideas. Very pretty to look at, though...

"Bursting at the seams with wonderful ideas.": Agree wholeheartedly. Ed Beach and his team have done a great job of coming up with new ideas for the civ franchise. I expect they'll continue to do so with Schrodinger's Expansion.

"Very pretty to look at": ditto. I know people's preferences vary, and I'm not that fond of the leader screen. But the in game artwork? First class for my tastes. I think Firaxis has put together an awesome art team!

If the mechanics don't fit together well enough, then that's the thing that whoever works on Civ VII should focus on, in my opinion; forge all these great ideas into a cohesive whole.

This is my fervent hope. It's why I, personally, would be more excited about an announcement for Civ 7 than I will be for another instalment of Civ 6.

That said, I'm also still hoping the final expansion of Civ 6 is led by someone who hasn't been part of Civ 6 to date, who can take the best of what the current team have done, and work with that. Much the way Ed Beach took the best of Jon Shafer's work on Civ 5 and made it better. (And obviously, it's a whole team, not one guy, but leadership matters, so I'm short-handing here.)

I have been thinking about why certain city-states appear on the Firaxis-made True Start Location Earth map and some dont.

Like Lisbon and Palenque are not in it so maybe it means Portugal and Maya are in the next expansion?

The map has Carthage and Hattusa so maybe no Carthage and Hittites as civs?

Just wondering if they have it all planned so forward.. time will tell.

I have been thinking about why certain city-states appear on the Firaxis-made True Start Location Earth map and some dont.

Like Lisbon and Palenque are not in it so maybe it means Portugal and Maya are in the next expansion?

The map has Carthage and Hattusa so maybe no Carthage and Hittites as civs?

Just wondering if they have it all planned so forward.. time will tell.
I haven't played TSL too much to know but I know that before R&F came out Seoul definitely was on the map and Korea came in, so I'm not sure. I definitely don't remember seeing Lisbon though as I believe Spain took up the whole peninsula in that same game and La Venta took up the whole Yucatan Peninsula, Belize, Guatemala area leaving Palenque out.

What do we know - nothing. Firaxis doesn't believe in contacting the community unless they want to sell us something. Sigh.
I wish Stardock or Paradox would step forward and make a Civ-type game. They could show Firaxis a thing or two about respecting the fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom