What do you people want in the next patch regarding balance ?

I don't know. I think the healing is OK and you really shouldn't be able to take a large city with less than two siege units. Maybe it should scale more with city size or siege units should get a new bonus that slows down city healing.
As I mentioned in the first post, I used 2 swords & 2 catapults to take down 3 pop city & a garrisoned slinger. Still I lost one sword & the other was badly damaged. So healing is definitely fast especially in early stages when you can't field a very big force & catapults already do little damage to cities.

I would like too see more loyal ai. As it is now you could have an ai that is friendly toward you only to denounce you the next turn, no matter how much you have helped him/her.

Only a couple of things spring to my mind atm.

Nukes need some serious balancing. Either make nukes far more expensive to have, have diplomatic repercussions to use, and/or beef up nuke defences such as fighters and add a very late game Civ4-eske SDI national wonder to counter missiles, which requires high maintenance cost and very high hammer cost, plus possibly building prerequisites.

The balance between AI bonuses and intelligence needs work. Essentially, the AI needs fewer bonuses and needs that balanced by being more competent. This would make it play more by the same rules as the player, so it would be limited in the same way the player is by mechanics like happiness.

A lot more work on diplomacy is needed, and I would love it if the devs removed the diplo penalties for the AI that "thinks you are trying to win the game in the same manner as" them. Really, it just breaks immersion to be reminded explicitly that you are playing a game.

Add diplomatic bonuses for stable trade agreements with an AI, so that it is possible to form alliance blocs.

Nerf down the effects of both the DoF and denunciations. "Interests" (trade relations, etc.) and treaty obligations (Defense Pact) trump friendship every time in real life.

Adjust the functionality of WarmongerHate so that AIs don't hate you when you go to war at their request, or to defend them, or against their traditional enemies. If you're too successful in this sort of war, though, add a diplo penalty for an AI that fears you are trying to achieve global hegemony through war.

Adopt some ideas from the City-State Diplomacy mod, so that CS alliances aren't simply a competition for gold.

Since they seem to be taking baby steps towards fixing AI diplomacy, i would suggest what someone else said about warmongering diplomacy: the AI should be able to recognize when your fighting a defensive war, when your conquering another civ because they refuse to surrender, and when another civ wants you to declare war and you agree. It's also not fair that when you help out a friend and conquer his enemy like he asked you to, he gets annoyed and hates you all of a sudden. I know people argue the Cold War idea to justify that, like how US and Russia met at Berlin and suddenly hated each other (although of course it wasn't REALLY sudden) but nevertheless it seems rather severe in-game to be rewarded for helping a friend with a denouncement from him...

ive found now that i play pangaea instead of continents that civs definitely align between good guys and bad guys at the very beginning then sometime in the late middle ages they all turn on each other and destroy thousands of years of collaboration over something dumb. thats really annoying also...

I like that they added the little pop up screen that shows why a civ hates or loves you but thats really similar to civ4, why not just bring that system back entirely... everyone likes it better...

i do not like that the civs get upset that your trying to win the same way as they are. or at least that it occurs in the classical and medieval era. i doubt theyre gonna remove that since they seem commited to making the computers act like human players (sorta), so i suggest that the option to be upset over that not be available till the industrial era or until a country has researched a certain tech like, military science or scientific method i really dont know. i would say nationalism, but thats not a tech anymore but thats my thought process behind that.

anyways. i dunno. lets keep improving the AI diplomacy slowly and steadily. of course you could just fix it all at once and get it over with but thats not gonna happen so im ready to settle for that.

last patch was good in general tho.

I'd like to see the AI personality made a bit more normal.
I'm sick of having people on "friendly" suddenly declare war on me for absolutely no reason.
And it's not like just occasionally. I have like 4 or 5 friendly nations all declare war within the space of about 5 turns.
Wouldn't worry me so much if they treated each other with the same contempt, but I'm sure the human player gets singled out.

It was the same in civ4. Sick and tired of the AI conspiracy.

There needs to be more things to do to make the AI like you and less things that make the AI hate you.

1. Catapults should be 6:c5strength:, double vs. cities. Remove the iron requirement.
2. Trebuchets should be reworked in a similar fashion.
3. Ballistae should have higher base :c5strength: and lower bonus (say 9, +25% vs.). Also no iron.
So they should be melee? or do you mean 6:c5ranged:
In which case I agree

4. Chariot archers should be able to move after attacking.
I agree

5. Remove all healing promotions; introduce a new civilian unit (Field Hospital) that uses horse as a resource. Slowly heals all units in 1-hex radius.
Maybe the Instant Heal, and the Medic promotion.

Keep the "March/Repair" promotions.

and then have a Field Hospital with the "Medic" promotion

6. Increase pikemen base :c5strength: to 14, reduce the bonus vs. mounted units to 50%. Increase :c5production: cost to match the new strength.
nice but not necessary

7. Cavalry should have 4 :c5moves:.
8. Tanks should have slightly higher :c5strength: and a bonus vs. gunpowder units (infantry, mech. infantry).
Like both of those ideas, especially for Tanks

I'd also give Knights and Cavalry +2 strength (and an increase in costs)

9. Fighters should have the 50% attack penalty replaced by a penalty for attacking cities.
10. Bombers should be able to "pillage" tile improvements.
Agree

11. Fighters/Jets should be able to intercept Atomic bombs, conventional missiles should be able to shoot down ICBMs. Both AFTER a civ builds an "Early Warning Programme" (SDI-like national wonder).
Atomic Bombs should be interceptable without any wonder

I can see it for Nuclear Missiles, but the National Wonder should be in the Future Era (on the Peace Path)

12. Giant Death Robots should be renamed into something less ******ed and should be resourceless, limited to X per nation, depending on map size.
The resourse requirement seems fine.. name is a taste rather than balancing

13. Military academy should have no prereqs. and should give +15 to all units (sea, air, land).

Well I'd stick with the Prerequisites (partially to give them a reason).. but otherwise I agree

others are AI issues

There needs to be more things to do to make the AI like you and less things that make the AI hate you.

I agree- you should be able to friendly request things instead of demand them. Also, remove bribes and make an economic victory based on trade routes. And also, include more updates on Korean localization- it improves the game dramatically.

I want Barbarians to actually attack cities instead of running around my cities just so I can shoot them. And maybe Barbarian archers might actually shoot things, along with barbarian boats. Floating in and out of my harbour is not a challenge.

I would like ironclads to be upgradeable to battleships when the time comes.

More agressive city states would be nice, i wish city states would attack more. Also Turkey needs a uu and ub for more interesting game play. turkeys Sp could be 50 + power for all gun powder resources and one plus science per city.

Also the chinese even after post patch still need a little bit more of a down grade. Those cho cu nos along with the paper maker, in a pretty close era should makes for one easy seige. I remeber one game i played where i demolished every empire (about 4) on my contenent in roughly 100 turns as china, it was only on prince though.

Still the most annoying and i think over powered civ on multiplayer is mongolia, simply becuase of there uu can basicly attack and flee with out taking damage. That and with honers free general (khan). Then they can steam roll anyone.

Some civs uu ua ubs po me becuase of how late they come in the game like americas special units, not very usefull in modern era becuase most of the times the game is already won.

I think japan is underpowered, though they have the one good unit the samuri, (the zero to late to be worth any thing). And there ua is a little useless unless its a sucicide attack that will be used when your unit is doomed as a last resort.

Teach the AI what a navy is and how to use one. It's probably the simplest form of combat in the game, but it's totally non-existent as far as the AI is concerned.

I think japan is underpowered, though they have the one good unit the samuri, (the zero to late to be worth any thing). And there ua is a little useless unless its a sucicide attack that will be used when your unit is doomed as a last resort.
I disagree with that. Japan UA is very powerful. Your 1HP archer will do full damage & finishing your warriors off would cause very heavy losses to enemy unit which attacked you. Their UA also helps in capturing cities.

I disagree with that. Japan UA is very powerful. Your 1HP archer will do full damage & finishing your warriors off would cause very heavy losses to enemy unit which attacked you. Their UA also helps in capturing cities.
I do think though, that they should replace the zero with an UB, but I doubt they will listen to me.

Naval & Air UUs are hardly useful with few exceptions.

Perhaps they could be made usefull by giving them some something unique, rather than just a strength/movement/range increase.

Ships that do +50% or more damage when bombarding cities. Zero has two actions per turn, etc.

Main thing still needing to be fixed if tactical AI and naval AI imo.

Top Bottom