What do you think of the Civ VI great people?

Actually, the only order is the era they come from. For example, in all games you'll find Sagan, Kwolek and Abdul Salam as the 3 Great Scientists from the Information Age, but the order they appear is quite random. I've seen all 3 come first in a game or another.

If we're talking about a pool of GP, in my opinion they should still be separated by era. For example, 5 Great Engineers in the Industrial Era, from which 3 could be recruited, at the choice of the current recruiter. It doesn't make sense to recruit Sagan way back in the Ancient Era.

Another problem about tying GP to governments is the same that occurs with some policies: some won't be recruited at all. I'd never, for example, recruit a GP that enhances Monarchy, unless it was something in the order of 2 extra policy slots to make Monarchy OP.

I just finished a game, and Sagan never appeared (I was watching for him) I did manage to snag Stephanie Kwolek, and that was enough to put me over the top for a science victory. I had 3 high-production cities and one spaceport. My capital built all the space projects, another city built bombers and fighters, and the other pumped out tanks. Japan was right on the verge of winning and I came from behind for the victory. Gandhi took Wernher von Braun; if Hojo and gotten him, Japan probably would have won.

But what really brought me to this thread was to ask if anyone uses great people as scouts? I played a game as Russia recently, and very early on I was drowning in great artists and musicians. Since they are immortals now, they might be good for scouting out hostile territory. I did use one to clear a barb encampment :)

I don't like the scientists. Poor balance, A lot of rng and era skipping leads to odd pecularities and methods to need to exploit.

Rest is fine and gives faith great use.

I was really shocked to see so many don't like the generals/admirals. Even if you don't want the combat/movement bonuses they have some of the best one time uses in the game. A free early knight or bombard can be incredibly powerful. The admirals are even better. If you spam harbors and beeline Square Rigging you can have a frigate armada, ages prior to reaching Mobilization, while the rest of the world is still using galleys.

I just finished a game, and Sagan never appeared (I was watching for him) I did manage to snag Stephanie Kwolek, and that was enough to put me over the top for a science victory. I had 3 high-production cities and one spaceport. My capital built all the space projects, another city built bombers and fighters, and the other pumped out tanks. Japan was right on the verge of winning and I came from behind for the victory. Gandhi took Wernher von Braun; if Hojo and gotten him, Japan probably would have won.

But what really brought me to this thread was to ask if anyone uses great people as scouts? I played a game as Russia recently, and very early on I was drowning in great artists and musicians. Since they are immortals now, they might be good for scouting out hostile territory. I did use one to clear a barb encampment :)

Are you certain of this? As far as I'm aware, I've never not had a great person appear - unless an era change was involved. Are you watching the great person screen in your off-turns? Sometimes more than one will be taken. You can look at a list now of the great persons that have been selected already. Load a save a check. I know that if I'm pushing great engineers and great merchants, I can get all of them.

Are you certain of this? As far as I'm aware, I've never not had a great person appear - unless an era change was involved. Are you watching the great person screen in your off-turns? Sometimes more than one will be taken. You can look at a list now of the great persons that have been selected already. Load a save a check. I know that if I'm pushing great engineers and great merchants, I can get all of them.

Yes, I went back and looked at the GP history to see who got him when I saw that no more scientists were available. I was playing at quick or maybe it was online pace, I wonder if that's it?

(BTW, I found a bug with nuclear fallout -- its decay doesn't scale with the game speed)

It most certainly can happen if enough civs reach the information era.

It most certainly can happen if enough civs reach the information era.

As I said, 'unless its an era change.' But I've seen people suggest that the game randomly excludes great persons each game - some are missing and its not due to era shifts. I haven't experienced that as far as I know. Which is why I asked him in the first place. To try and eliminate my 'as far as I know' clause.

As I said, 'unless its an era change.' But I've seen people suggest that the game randomly excludes great persons each game - some are missing and its not due to era shifts. I haven't experienced that as far as I know. Which is why I asked him in the first place. To try and eliminate my 'as far as I know' clause.

Yea, looks like I misread.

That being said, I seem to never see any atomic/information engineers regardless of how slow we're going. I guess I'll have to pay attention to the list.

What I don't like with these 3 is that there is no alternate use as in Civ5. You even no longer get money for selling them. So if I'm avoiding culture victory, I often just destroy them and get nothing at all. I think there should be the option to sell them for money or for culture (selling for culture would make sense IMHO).

Use them and sell/trade the works they provide? :shifty:

Top Bottom