What if God was one of us?

Arminius

Jeff Vader
My girlfriend was listening to this song called "What if God was one of us?" The song asks two questions that I think are interesting. I just wondered what everyone thinks. Please explain your answer.

1) What would you ask (God) if you had just one question?

2) If God had a face...would you want to see it if seeing meant you had to believe?

My answers:

1) Why? This one covers everything.

2) No. Belief is about believing, not seeing. (Plus I don't wanna be held down by religion... :goodjob: )

Arminius said:
Can I be a god too?

Arminius said:
2) If God had a face...would you want to see it if seeing meant you had to believe?
No, it would probobly be covered in acne.

Yeah, yeah, God is great.
Yeah, yeah, God is good.

I saw this stranger on the bus that I thought was God, but then he looked like a slob so I said nevermind.

Arminius said:
My girlfriend was listening to this song called "What if God was one of us?" The song asks two questions that I think are interesting. I just wondered what everyone thinks. Please explain your answer.

My answers:

2) No. Belief is about believing, not seeing. (Plus I don't wanna be held down by religion... :goodjob: )

1) Did you give yourself a pat on the back once you saw me your most perfect creation?

2) of course, If not only to rub it in all of the religious zealots faces.

Shadylookin said:
1) Did you give yourself a pat on the back once you saw me your most perfect creation?
What did you say? Most Perfect creation?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT!!!! :rotfl:

Arminius said:

My answers:
It an interesting song that raises serious questions. Because the questions are so serious and controversial, the opportunity for flip and caustic answers climbs to exponential levels. The song is non demoninational and therefore not necessarily christian oriented. The song really asks "What would happen to you if you met god in human form, face to face?"

I have not, and cannot answer the question from personal experience. Most people will refer back to the new testament and quote scripture. That is not very helpful. There have not been many people in recent years who have claimed to be the actual manifestation of god (and not been locked away). You do find such claims more frequently in India where they do believe that god can and does manifest in a human body.

In looking for a more recent example that might be more relevant to the OT crowd, I'll go back a mere 30 years or so. The Beatles interest in the Maharishi and meditation in the 1960s opened up western interest in Hinduism to the general public. But the Maharishi did not claim godhood. A lesser known story from that time does concern Pete Townshend of the Who. He does claim to have met god face to face. In fact his first record after that encounter was "Tommy", an album drenched in spirituality. 40 years later he still believes. Those of you in GB may know more about this than I do. If he is correct, did it set his life in order? I don't think so. Did he become a super nice guy who helped everyone and anyone? No. Did he build a church? No again. If you listen to his devotional music apart from the Who, its all about pain, longing, love, separation and having no choice, but to believe. Is he crazy? Deluded and influenced by too many drugs? Maybe he is and reason would tell us that he might be a a wee bit out of kilter. When he writes his autobiography, it should be interesting.

My answers, but I would answer them in reverse order

2. Not everyone is ready to see god's face. Those who are will not be able to turn away, those who are not ready, will not notice a thing.
1. If you notice, no question will be necessary.

Of course one has to believe it is possible for god to show himself in human form for these questions to make any sense at all.;)

Arminius said:
Id choose one from these three:

1. Are you enjoying yourself?

2. Do you, as I suspect, actually spend most of your time laughing your butt off?

3. You must be parched, can I get you a beer or anything?
Im not sure the question makes sense. If I didnt believe, why would I want to see the face of something I dont believe exists? If an athiest wanted to see gods face that much, he's not really an athiest after all;)

my question: why is life so hard?

only i wouldnt wait for an answer, right after the question, id kick his ass :)

2) I'd look at his face for as long as I could believe it.
1) You have caused the deaths of billions because you were not smart enough or too stubborn to recognise the needs of the beings shaped like you; the humans. We humans need to see to believe and you systematically refused to show yourself or give any proof you exist. This childish behaviour has caused religious wars with the deaths of billions over the history of humanity.
What have you got to say for yourself in your defense ?

1) What language do you speak natively?
2) If God showed me his face, I'd slap him, and then as him to turn the other cheek. But yes, I would believe he exists if he showed himself to me. I do want to believe in God, but I can't because I've never seen him or anything.

I would ask for impeachment and make someone run a trial in Hague. There is no legal protection for gods in our international law and constitution.

I'd kick his ass, just so I could say I kicked God's ass.

if power corrupts, then
absolut power = absolute corruption

if god existed, i think hed be bored with a perfect world, too predictable

so for a goof he decides to see what happens if he attaches 2 people together=siamese twins
or make a guy with 4 arms and no legs, or no arms and no legs, or any weird combination you can think of

a guy like that needs to have a good asskicking, just to take him down to earth and see how it feels to for example have his ass kicked, or not have enough money for something or be rejected or be sick, and so on

Rik Meleet said:
2) I'd look at his face for as long as I could believe it.
If I may ask, how many years would that be?
Cheetah said:
I'd simply ask "What is the meaning of life?".
And he'd reply "To have wild parties and plenty of love ;) . - Unfortunately, I was too stupid to realize that when I was sent to Earth, and too busy trying to brainwash people".
Of course, he did came to Earth, while he had one of his 3 personalities(God, son, holy spirit); talk about madmen.
Arminius said:
To give me permission to lobotomize him, or I'd ask "Hey, how is it to live billion years and never try sex with a Goddess? Couldn't you just create one?"
Arminius said:
Sure, I'd say, "Come now, don't be shy, show before me, I'm a believer". Then, when he'd show up in front of me, I'd punch him hard in his nose for all the bugs, OS/computer games have.

1. "You're not that bright, are you?"
2. Since when did he have a face? Just to humour you, of course I'd look. Would I be human if I didn't?

I always prefered the parody version of that song, 'What if God Smoke Cannibas'

Wolfe Tone said:
I always prefered the parody version of that song, 'What if God Smoke Cannibas'
Weird Al said:
And if His eyes were pretty glazed
If He looked spaced-out
Would you buy His story
Would you believe He had an eye infection
And yeah yeah
God looks baked
Yeah yeah
God smells good