What is the best way to upgrade to Civ4 Complete?

slengtorm

Chieftain
Greetings all. I've been playing Vanilla on OS X for years and I've never even seen the expansions. (Yes, really.) I recently returned to it after a hiatus during which I was considering getting Civ5 and, well, between my love for this game and my perusing of these forums, I've concluded that upgrading 4 would be wiser than paying for 5. So what do you guys recommend? In a way a downloadable upgrade would be ideal, as I live in China and shipping is iffy at best, but I'm wary of versions that restrict the storing and usage of content (like Steam, I'm told). I would be willing to brave the postal system if the shipped version were cheap enough, but while the internet is full of cheap versions for Windows, even expensive versions for OS X are scant. Furthermore, with the disc version of Complete, are the discs actually necessary to play or only to install? Any and all information would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

The disk version requires the disk every time you launch Civ4. You can eject the disk once it is running. That should also be the case with the vanilla version you are currently playing.

Steam has the advantage that you don't need to use the disk to launch it, and you can also run offline if your Internet connection is intermittent. You can play the game on any Mac [or PC - this may only apply to Civ5] you own - it just limits you to logging in on one computer at a time. It doesn't stop you saving games locally or adding mods to your installation as far as I know.

I don't like Steam personally, mainly because it seems so intrusive and bloated, and it always wants to upgrade something or other. But I don't like disk-based protection either!

Hmm, yeah, both those prospects are unattractive, though the latter less so. Requiring a disc to launch is an inconvenience more than a deal breaker. It is not the case that my version requires a disc; I haven't even seen the disc in years.

As it stands I'll just continue to scour the Chinese software shops and continue to keep my eyes open for good online deals. Do let me know if you come across any.

This makes me shake my head at how easy the PC guys have it, and not for the first time. I wish I could find SimCity 2000 for OS X (or later SimCity games).

Hello! I am bumping this thread because I have gotten back into Civ lately, and am thinking about upgrading to BTS. It's on Amazon right now for $9. But there is a sale on Steam right now where Civ IV complete can be had for $15. I've always been annoyed by the requirement to insert my Warlords disc whenever I play. It might be worth the extra $6 to get rid of this.

Does the Mac HOF mod run equally well on the Steam version as the retail version? How "intrusive" is Steam really? I haven't really used it all that much.

Thank you for your help!

Amazing that these questions are still coming up for Civ4 when Civ5 has been out for a while.

As far as I know the Mac HoF mod will run, but I don't have the Steam version to test. The main issue with Steam is that it puts your game code in a different place on your hard drive. But the mod code is designed to find your software wherever it has been installed. I think I had to amend the Assets Checker a few years ago to enable it to give useful diagnostic data for Steam installations.

I don't know if Lion has caused any new problems with all this.

Thanks for the info!

I also noticed the $40 bundle on Steam that pretty much includes everything Civ that they have (although I don't think it has the new Civ V expansion). But I don't have that much time for games lately, so I'd rather get better at Civ 4 than start up with Civ 5 right now.

ive had pretty good luck with steam. and if you buy the mac version you get the pc version too.

basically. you hAve to decide if you want to play any
mods besides bug and blue marble and whatever comes preinstalled. otherwise you have to use windows or some other workaround.

if vanilla bts is enough, then i think the discs are just as good as steam. maybe slightly better because i like having a back up hard copy.

I managed to snag the full Civ bundle on Steam for $25 yesterday, so I am now happy and Complete (and can move up to V someday). So far, though, I've only had the time to download Vanilla IV and Warlords.

I do see the bug in Warlords I remember folks complaining about back in the day, where the civilization banners are a bit off. My Vikings have a solid black banner, and the Koreans who are on my continent have a solid white banner. One of these days, I'll search around a bit and try to find out what is happening.

Bump. I really don't want to use Steam. I'm seeing a version on Amazon for 30 USD which reviews note needs the discs only for installation. imadork noted above he saw 9 USD once. Any other suggestions on where to look before springing for it? Watch the Amazon prices for awhile or just take it?

Bump. Sorry to bump this thread again, especially as I know this is all discussed elsewhere in this forum, but I see so much conflicting information that not knowing what's out of date, I'd really like just a simple recommendation.

Almost three years on from my last bump, I've still not seen this game. My requirements are similar to those I mentioned earlier, I suppose, but I think now I really would prefer a digital download rather than discs. I retain my opposition to Steam. Further, after reading about the incompatibility between the Mac version and most mods, I am wondering whether the Windows version with some workaround would be best. Is it easy? Does it still work with Yosemite?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mac disc versions still work. It is the Windows disc security system that has been blocked. I mainly use the Mac version. However, when I want to use a mod, I boot up Parallels and Windows 7 inside of it. That works fine. Any version of CIV will install on any version of Windows after and including XP, but only the BTS 3.19 would run. Disc based BTS patched to 3.19 would also work under Windows 8 and 10, since it does not require the disc DRM to run. However, I don't think much of either of those systems. You can use disc based Windows versions other than BTS 3.19 if you utilize the secdrv work around )discussed in several threads in the Tech forum) on Windows XP, 7, or 8, but not on 10. I don't use Yosemite but Xyth has a thread here where he tells you what you need to do to make CIV work with it.

Top Bottom