• Native American

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Sumerian

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for Ethiopia who i think will be a very popular choice for culural wins not to mention im curious how thier UU turns out but almost all of them sound interesting. Ill also play as the Dutch and Portuguese early on as i have alwas enjoyed playing a navel game. HRE should be dominatnt at expansions and the rest sound fun to i think i like them all now

I'm surprised about the Mayans. From their stats, they seem decent, but not a civ I'd find particularly jaw-dropping for most people. Maybe there are a few Apocalypto fans out there?

Also shocked that my vote-HRE- garnered so many votes. I thought after all the hate mail, HRE would go into the witness protection program. I think people realized the power of the rauthaus UB, and how large an empire it can amass (much like it's RW counterpart: c'mon, a civ that includes both Germans and French getting along together... you'd need a super courthouse for that). Of course, I'm pretty happy with 99% of the civ choices.

The Mayans appear to be ultimate builders: financial for the research, expansive for the healthy, UB for the happy, and UU for early resourceless! defense. Others might favor them for an early spear rush (since they start with Mining), but early big cities + financial = tech runaway.

If you look at the "Neither Holy, Nor Roman, Nor an Empire" thread, there are almost as many people that love HRE that loathe them, with many being Meh and therefore judging them on their UU/Bs rather than their historical accuracy. It's just that the Anti-HRE Vigilance Committee has been quite LOUD in their condemnation while everyone else has moved on.

I would never have selected the HRE to be included in the game but the abilities that have been given to this civ and its leader make it the civ I will play as first.

The only protective leader to [naturally] start with the hunting technology. A very powerful building for conquest (though it will only be whipped in the larger cites). A unique unit combined with the protective trait for a very powerful stack - protective crossbows and landsknecht. Trebuchets unlocked along with landsknechts and half price castles (and their extra trade route). Extra great generals - both from imperialistic and the aforementioned powerful stack. And the easily obtained protective archers combined with cheap settlers make getting to the point where the unique unit and building can be used that little bit easier.

If only Charlemagne could have been creative as well.

My initial impression draws me to the Mayans. Ethiopia also seems to be a very good civ.

I think it will give the Portuguese a leg up over the Dutch. Both are potential rivals for a vast overseas empire, with the Portuguese getting an early start. My belief is that once the Dutch get their UU, though, they will be able transport large armies to knock off the fledgling Portuguese colonies. Just a theory, mind you.

Sort of what happened in real life, huh?

Byzantine+Justinian is my favorite combination in BtS. :)

If you look at the "Neither Holy, Nor Roman, Nor an Empire" thread, there are almost as many people that love HRE that loathe them, with many being Meh and therefore judging them on their UU/Bs rather than their historical accuracy. It's just that the Anti-HRE Vigilance Committee has been quite LOUD in their condemnation while everyone else has moved on.

Precisely. Also, the HRE in due time became ruled by the Habsburgs, who owned pieces of estate all around the globe. Furthermore, they had an eastern European dimension that Germany lacks. And I suspect that as fashioned by Firaxis, the HRE will be fun to play. So I voted for the HRE.

Tough call. I'm quite happy with Fireaxis' choices. I even think having the HRE in is rather funky.

However, I love the maps that have a 'old world' and an 'new world' to settle on later.

And man, will it rule to play the Portuguese on them. (Unless they changed the sea technologies in a major way.)

Well, my opinion is biased by my nationality. I'll choose Portugal of course. Not only because it'd be able to create a large thalassocracy, but also because of João II's traits, that are very useful for expanding early in the game.

I'm finding it funny that the hated Byzantines and HRE are turning out to be two of the strongest Civs in the expansion pack.

Top Bottom