• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What is your favorite new BtS Civ?

Which is your favorite new civ?

• Babylonian

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • Byzantine

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • Dutch

Votes: 65 23.0%
  • Ethiopian

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 52 18.4%
  • Khmer

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • Mayan

Votes: 27 9.6%
  • Native American

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Sumerian

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting that HRE is in the lead. Yes, I know, if you add up ALL the other votes, they would be behind, but a plurality is a plurality.

If people are rating the new civs by their unique unit, building, and leader traits then it's not at all surprising.

Dutch Levees... sweeeeeet...

Interesting that HRE is in the lead. Yes, I know, if you add up ALL the other votes, they would be behind, but a plurality is a plurality.
I guess that's mainly a reaction to all the anti-HRE threads. Many people just vote HRE because they know it will annoy those who consider the HRE being not legitimate.

Anyway, I tend to consider that HRE is already represented by Germany and that Charlemagne is, I repeat indeed, a very awckward choice to lead it. Now, I've got the message of the majority : "We just don't care ! You're a nerd !". So... so be it. :p

I equaled them. ;]

The HRE is a fantastic gameplay choice. Charlemagne has mediocre traits, but the HRE's UU is very powerful, and it's UB is a clincher for fast expansion.

I would easily place the Dutch on equal grounds with the HRE. Willem has an awesome set of traits, but his UU is situational and his UB is Industrial Era.

Edit: Let's not forget that the HRE has my favorite starting technology pair, Mysticism and Mining. I think that tops the Dutch's Fishing and Agriculture pair.

I like the Dutch game-wise and history-wise. While the rest of imperialist Europe was racist and condescending to the rest of the world, the humble and kind Dutch merchant were making big bucks through honest trading.

I am still thinking, but dispite, my rating of Dutch as the best choice of any of the new civs... I have to go with Khmer!

I am honestly befuddled that the HRE is scoring so highly. I just don't understand how someone who understands it's history could vote for it over actual Civs that aren't already in the game. I generally take an optimistic view of the Civ community's knowledge of history but I guess some of the people who have argued against it's inclusion haven't been vocal enough on actually educating other posters on why it is a really bad choice.

The other possibilities that I see are that people who don't care about history are voting for gameplay reasons, specifically they are voting for it on grounds of it's ridiculously powerful UU and UB.

Oh well, at least I can heart in the fact that nearly eighty percent of the community would want a civ other than HRE. :lol:

One item of note is that way back even before Warlords came out, Firaxis had a survey site where you can vote for what civilizations you want to appear in the game. I conducted an exit poll which you can still see here, hundreds of votes were cast.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=148671

Due to forum restrictions, I was not able to include all of the choices Firaxis had on the site. I had to cut out what I subjectively saw as the most bogus choices, and the Holy Roman Empire was one of the four I left out. I considered it to be laughable at the time. Who knew someone at Firaxis would view them as a serious choice? I wish I did include them back then just to compare to how they are doing now.

ZoolooMan:
Edit: Let's not forget that the HRE has my favorite starting technology pair, Mysticism and Mining. I think that tops the Dutch's Fishing and Agriculture pair.

HRE has mysticism and hunting. But since Charlemagne is the only protective leader whose civ starts just 1 technology away from archers I'm sure that won't seem like a much of a downgrade.

MonkSpider:
I am honestly befuddled that the HRE is scoring so highly. I just don't understand how someone who understands it's history could vote for it over actual Civs that aren't already in the game. I generally take an optimistic view of the Civ community's knowledge of history but I guess some of the people who have argued against it's inclusion haven't been vocal enough on actually educating other posters on why it is a really bad choice.

The other possibilities that I see are that people who don't care about history are voting for gameplay reasons, specifically they are voting for it on grounds of it's ridiculously powerful UU and UB.

Oh well, at least I can heart in the fact that nearly eighty percent of the community would want a civ other than HRE.

One item of note is that way back even before Warlords came out, Firaxis had a survey site where you can vote for what civilizations you want to appear in the game. I conducted an exit poll which you can still see here, hundreds of votes were cast.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=148671

Due to forum restrictions, I was not able to include all of the choices Firaxis had on the site. I had to cut out what I subjectively saw as the most bogus choices, and the Holy Roman Empire was one of the four I left out. I considered it to be laughable at the time. Who knew someone at Firaxis would view them as a serious choice? I wish I did include them back then just to compare to how they are doing now.

Monkspider, I would never have chosen for the HRE to be in the game but I voted for it in this poll. Why? I made the assumption that the poll was asking which of the new civs - taking account of their unique abilities and leader traits only - you would most like to play as. The HRE wins hands down on that. A powerful non offensive early-mid game unique unit, a very powerful unique building, and a protective leader who starts with hunting (and probabaly other stuff I'm forgetting). Short of having the creative trait this is pretty much ideal for me.

I was extremely dissapointed when the HRE was announced but at the end of the day that it is only flavour. It's the in-game abilities of the civ that determines how good it is. Not historical accuracy. I find Bismarck to be a fascinating leader in real life but I've rarely played as him. On the other hand I know nothing about Kublai Khan but have played as much games as him than as most (though not all) other leaders combined.

On a side note. You left out the 4 most laughable civs. Excluding the HRE is fine. But exluding the Habsburgs (who were listed in that poll) while still including Ireland and Austria-Hungary does seem a bit off.

I like the Dutch game-wise and history-wise. While the rest of imperialist Europe was racist and condescending to the rest of the world, the humble and kind Dutch merchant were making big bucks through honest trading.

Sarcasm, right?
The Dutch were indeed the most "trade-minded" of all European imperialist powers, but they (like the rest of Europe) also had, which could be considered, racist tendencies.
It is debatable if getting black slaves from Africa was racist. They bought them from native chiefs, so there is an obvious trade-element in there. But like the rest of the world they treated them bad. But this could be a class thing instead of a race thing.
There was also Indonesia which rebelled once in a while. But that was mostly justified by religion, rather than race.
It is not that the Dutch were more racist, they just were like the rest of Europe, or can you name examples, which makes clear that other Europeans were more racist?

because fireaxis made them better and OP to reduce complaints and these poor souls are falling for it.

because fireaxis made them better and OP to reduce complaints and these poor souls are falling for it.

It's all a conspiracy to keep Poland out of Beyond the Sword isn't it? :sarcasm:

:confused: Why did so many people voted for HRE? After all the row about Mayans, Babylonians, Ethiopians and Khmers I thought they would score highly.

I think it's because the the leaders of all those civs have trait combos that were already present in Vanilla CIV or Warlords and people just want to try something new.

Top Bottom