What makes a Quechua obsolete?

ruff_hi

Live 4ever! Or die trying
I just noticed that I can still build Quechua even though I have copper mined and hooked up. What makes these units obsolete?

seem to remember it being Macemen :)

The Civilopedia says it's the Axeman. Maybe the city you tried to build the unit in isn't connected to your trade network?
Nope - I can build a Quechua, an axe and a spearman in the same city. I notice that you can upgrade a Quechua to a mace - maybe being able to build a mace obsoletes the Quechua.

Edit: Oh - just saw the post by Sian. Going to assume it is being able to build the mace.

This means I can build cheap MP units for ages - another Inca benefit.

I could be wrong, but I think some of the better UU's don't go obsolete at the same time as the units they replace. I seem to remember playing as Rome one time and finding out that I could upgrade Praets to Maces or Rifles. So if I wanted to keep building 8:strength:45:hammers: Praets instead of 8:strength:70:hammers: Macemen, I could. Maybe it's the same thing with Quechuas, you can keep building them for a while so you don't lose their bonuses.

...not sure though. :dunno:

Nice, cheap HR units to keep your cities happy. Though I usually tech in advance longbowmen and musketmen, and use them to fill my cities up to their happiness limit, so that I can have enough power on the graph and opponents don't attack me.

Unfortunately, even when I do that, I still seem to have 0.5 power compared to everyone, and eventually someone decides to declare war on me. Every city you ever have, you're supposed to build nothing but military units and no buildings, to keep up with the AI apparently.

A unit becomes obsolete when you can build all replacements... or the replacements' replacements: if you can build Pikemen, you can't build warriors even if you skipped Hunting.
Praetorians and Quechuas have additional direct replacements, extending their shelf life.

Quechuas are particularly interesting because they are very good upgrade fodder: cheap, free promotion, coupled with a FIN leader, can take CR promotions. I often mass-produce them in the turns before I finish Rifling, which obsoletes them for good.
Doing so may require disconnecting metals (you have Civil Service and Hunting) or just iron (you have Civil Service and Engineering, but not Hunting).

I am pretty sure it is Macemen

Top Bottom