What minimum machine do you recommend?

s.bernbaum

Mostly lurking
I am considering purchasing a new computer. What would be the minimum requirements (CPU, CPU and bus speed, memory, and graphics card) to run CIV with huge maps, maximum graphics and sound settings, at a reasonable playing speed for individual (not over the net) play? I'm looking for minimums because I'm trying to keep the price down.

I looked at a few models, which used different graphics cards: ATI Radeon HD 3200 and Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD. Would either or both of these be adequate? All the machines that I looked at have Vista Home Premium installed. Is that okay or should I look for Windows XP?

Thanks for any help!

Honestly to run civ IV you dont need top of the line hardware. Now others are gonna tell you that you need a quad-core with an 8800gtx etc. etc... but just ignore that BS.

I would say if you want it to be pretty smooth anything above a 3 ghz pentium 4 or AMD equivalent would be fine. Also at least 2 gigs RAM under windows xp more if using Vista. And the graphics card well, pretty much a Nvidia 6200 or higher would suffice. You can do this pretty cheap too which is what you wanted :goodjob:

Honestly to run civ IV you dont need top of the line hardware. Now others are gonna tell you that you need a quad-core with an 8800gtx etc. etc... but just ignore that BS.

I would say if you want it to be pretty smooth anything above a 3 ghz pentium 4 or AMD equivalent would be fine. Also at least 2 gigs RAM under windows xp more if using Vista. And the graphics card well, pretty much a Nvidia 6200 or higher would suffice. You can do this pretty cheap too which is what you wanted :goodjob:

Thank you for the input. I am rather ignorant of such things!

CPU does not matter. Bus speed even less.
2, preferably 3 gigs of RAM.
Do not skimp too much on the video card. The Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD might be just a bit underpowered. I would go for at least Ati HD 3400, Nvidea 8400GS or equivalent.

CPU does not matter. Bus speed even less.
2, preferably 3 gigs of RAM.
Do not skimp too much on the video card. The Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD might be just a bit underpowered. I would go for at least Ati HD 3400, Nvidea 8400GS or equivalent.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom