What promotions for bombers?

Civ4Pengbo

Warlord
Ok after you get Siege 2/3 for a bomber what do people like to go for?

Never sure if it's better to do Siege2/Evasion or go Siege 2/Air repair or Seige3/Logistics route.

or do you like a whole different strategy?

It's not a clear cut answer IMO, I have seen arguments for different paths.

Usually I rush Air Repair. It just seems to be the most flexible and provide the most bang for the buck.

Logistics seems nice, but air units suffer a lot of return damage when attacking contemporary units - I'm not sure it's a lot better to attack twice one turn and have to rest a few turns, than it is to be able to attack every turn. It's more single-turn burst, but most wars are fought over some turns. Plus Air repair comes after 2 promos not 3. Prefer Evasion if they have lots of AA, Air Repair otherwise.

I almost never take Logistics first.

I would get logistics because it directly leads to more xp, then air repair.

air repair if your enemy has a lot of AA.

Air repair, afterwards siege 3 and logistics. Without air repair, your units will be blocked a lot of turns for healing. And with the current AI you simply don't need evasion in single player.

Air repair, afterwards siege 3 and logistics. Without air repair, your units will be blocked a lot of turns for healing. And with the current AI you simply don't need evasion in single player.

This. I get air repair as soon as it's available. You can't get experience or do any damage to the enemy if your hitpoints are redlined and you have to sit in the hanger to recuperate for a bunch of turns. It's nice being able to use an aircraft throughout a campaign without needing any downtime for it. Also, I don't believe damaged aircraft do as much bombing damage as a full-health aircraft- the more damaged it is, the less damage it does. Can anyone else confirm that?

Also, I don't believe damaged aircraft do as much bombing damage as a full-health aircraft- the more damaged it is, the less damage it does. Can anyone else confirm that?
While I haven't tested it, I would believe it to work like other units, i.e. 100 % damage if you are full health scaling down towards 50 % damage at 0 health, so for instance you'll do 75 % damage at half health.

As for the OP, I also do Siege/Bombard I/II, then Air Repair, then Siege/Bombard III, Logistics, then either Evasion or Range or Bombard/Siege I/II/III. While Logistics first might allow you a slightly faster leveling, in reality it also leaves you with some uncomfortable layover turns where your Bombers need to heal, so for that reason I will normally go straight for Air Repair to have always fully healed units.

I did some experimenting after asking this and I have to agree Air Repair seems to be the better option. Unless you are incredibly unlucky then you tend to take only enough damage that can be repaired in one turn when bombing a city and less when bombing a unit unless it's SAM you didn't sweep first.

So like everyone said you can just keep bombing tutn after turn with only minimum downtime if any.

I usually get air repair first then logistics. After that I usually see if my bomber will be targeting cities or units more and decide upon that.

Top Bottom