What Real Life Civilizations would have achieved one of the victory conditions?

Come on how could all of you forget the Mongols. They easily had a domination victory based on all the civilized land in the known world.

They won and decided not to press the "wait just one more turn" button, so they faded into history

This kind of thread tends to generate some activity of some people who realize that the USA is no longer as strong or influent as it was, but try to come up with a lot of pseudo arguments targeting whoever questions their accomplishments, perhaps due to a need of self reassurance.

That said (and I apologize if I made anyone feel bad), no country is or has ever been close to the victory conditions of the game. Cultural victory means that your culture has become so dominant that it has shredded all other cultures and made eveyone long to be admitted into their way of life. The culture count is just a way of measuring that. I assure you that such a victory is not even possible in the world.

Come on how could all of you forget the Mongols. They easily had a domination victory based on all the civilized land in the known world.

They won and decided not to press the "wait just one more turn" button, so they faded into history

They only held 22% of the world, which is short of the domination requirements.

You've listed off cultural accolades which, in Civ terms, is basically the equivalent of building Hollywood, a few other wonders, and a bunch of corporations very late in the game. I don't know about you, but I've never won a cultural victory like that.. And that being the case, I don't really see the USA being in the running for cultural victory winner.

Though in Civ terms, the US will win a Cultural victory sooner or later, thanks to having Hollywood and a bunch of cultural wonders and corporations, which in Civ world, will keep on cranking out culture indefinitely. All the other big culture cities have the problem of being owned by civs other than the ones that built their wonders, ie the wonders produce no culture, and the owner doesn't get the benefit of accumulated culture.

And corporation boosted late cultural victories are very possible with a few culture bombs, as long as you keep any other Civs from reaching a victory condition.

Come to think of it, if you lose a city with a wonder, then retake it, does the wonder produce culture? Can't say I've ever had the misfortune of ever losing a city where I built a wonder.

The US used to run a bunch of artists and a potential cultural win but this jerk McCarthy kicked them all out.

Ah, but none of them are Great Artists (which can't be kicked out in civ terms anyway), so actually, the U.S. just stopped running normal artists for a few turns, which probably just would delay the eventual cultural victory by a turn or two.

Sorry, I meant superpower (USA) and world powers know about fusion, genetic, ecology, robotics, satellites, etc. although I really think that Civ underestimates the technology needed to reach Alpha Centauri. And since you win the instant that you build all of the parts, that would imply that you reach it within a year, which would require faster than light travel which won't be around for centuries, milenia or maybe even never.

His point was that there are no practical applications of fusion as of yet. Maybe thats what you're saying? But then its implied that thats what discovering Fusion means in Civ, so nobody has of yet actually discovered Fusion.

FTL travel will likely never happen. According to our current understanding of physics (admittedly incomplete), it is simply impossible.

His point was that there are no practical applications of fusion as of yet. Maybe thats what you're saying? But then its implied that thats what discovering Fusion means in Civ, so nobody has of yet actually discovered Fusion.

FTL travel will likely never happen. According to our current understanding of physics (admittedly incomplete), it is simply impossible.
It may well be possible to bend or even fold space. So while relative speed may never exceed the speed of light, objective speed may well do so given enough energy and technology. We're probably about a million years from doing that though. Yes, I know exactly how big a million is, and no, I am not exaggerating.

Ah, but none of them are Great Artists (which can't be kicked out in civ terms anyway), so actually, the U.S. just stopped running normal artists for a few turns, which probably just would delay the eventual cultural victory by a turn or two.

They replaced them with spies, Cold War thing was going on. :D

Egypt picked up a lot of cultural points since they had the Pyramids, Great Lighthouse and Great Library, but spent a long time as a vassal state.

Greece had the Oracle, Statue of Zeus, Colossus, Mausoleum, Temple of Artemis, Hagia Sophia and Parthenon, so they picked up a slew of cultural points and great people. And maybe they should get credit for the Great Library and Great Lighthouse. Now if they'd just put them in three cities.

Egypt picked up a lot of cultural points since they had the Pyramids, Great Lighthouse and Great Library, but spent a long time as a vassal state.

Greece had the Oracle, Statue of Zeus, Colossus, Mausoleum, Temple of Artemis, Hagia Sophia and Parthenon, so they picked up a slew of cultural points and great people. And maybe they should get credit for the Great Library and Great Lighthouse. Now if they'd just put them in three cities.

Modern Egypt is more a separate instance of the Arabian Civ, so they don't get any of the culture from their wonders.

The Hagia Sophia is in Turkey, and built by the Byzantine Civ, and as for the rest...this is where the question of whether you gain culture from recaptured wonders is important. In Civ terms, Greece was conquered by the Roman Civ, which spun it off as a part of the colony of Byzantium, which was conquered by the Turkish Civ, which spun off a new Greece as a colony, which then broke free.

Modern Egypt is more a separate instance of the Arabian Civ, so they don't get any of the culture from their wonders.

The Hagia Sophia is in Turkey, and built by the Byzantine Civ, and as for the rest...this is where the question of whether you gain culture from recaptured wonders is important. In Civ terms, Greece was conquered by the Roman Civ, which spun it off as a part of the colony of Byzantium, which was conquered by the Turkish Civ, which spun off a new Greece as a colony, which then broke free.

If these cities were ever captured, they would lose all their accumulated culture points. I don't know my history that well but probably all the cities with ancient wonders have been captured at some point. Therefore, I believe most of the modern culture is coming from corporations. Civilized jewelers in South Africa is probably winning. Then again, having lots of religions for the 50% culture bonuses are big too.

They only held 22% of the world, which is short of the domination requirements.

They were playing on a smaller map that just had Europe, Asia, and Africa.

England might have gotten a domination victory. It depends on what you consider a "vassal" in civ terms. Most of Asia was pretty much under their control, even if they didn't own it directly.

Otherwise I'd say Vatican City could've won a religious victory lol.

It may well be possible to bend or even fold space. So while relative speed may never exceed the speed of light, objective speed may well do so given enough energy and technology. We're probably about a million years from doing that though. Yes, I know exactly how big a million is, and no, I am not exaggerating.

Well hell, we already know its possible to bend space; that's what general relativity tells us. I was just saying it's impossible for an object to travel in a straight line from point A to point B faster than light. Whether we'll ever be able to manipulate space to travel through wormholes or whatnot.. thats another story.

I don't think we're a million years from being able to do anything in the sense that humanity should for the most part max its knowledge about all we can know long before then. The sum knowledge of humanity has grown exponentially over time, and it's really only started to hit a decent slope on the curve over the last couple hundred years. The next hundred years should provide more scientific discoveries and tech boosts than the last hundred. That's saying a LOT. My point is, I could see humanity making the bulk of all possible remaining scientific discoveries over a period more like thousands of years. If we don't destroy ourselves before then or nearly do so to the point where our infrastructure is gone.

Its just hard to imagine there being enough general science that its going to require anywhere near a million years for us to learn it all. This aside from the obvious fact that we'll never be able to explore the entire universe, which will forever provide opportunities for additional knowledge (other lifeforms, etc). But one should be able to ascertain the basics by what we see and observe from our little slice of the universe. Anyways, I think if we're ever able to travel through "wormholes", it'll be much sooner than a million years from now.

I can not believe that a page of posts have passed and noone has commented on the attempt at making apple pie american.

Come on!

I can not believe that a page of posts have passed and noone has commented on the attempt at making apple pie american.

Come on!

Heh, I'm no pie expert, but my Papa always claimed apple pie was German. But then again, he claimed all sorts of things were German which I later discovered weren't...

Heh, I'm no pie expert, but my Papa always claimed apple pie was German. But then again, he claimed all sorts of things were German which I later discovered weren't...

Germans are one of the most widespread immigrant groups in the USA, and because of that, a lot of what is considered "American Food" is really German. Chicken fried streak, hot dogs, hamburgers, apple pie, pot roast with vegetables...all German in origin.

Here's an interesting map based on US Census data which shows how German descendents are the largest ethnic group in a large portion of the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.svg

Germans are one of the most widespread immigrant groups in the USA, and because of that, a lot of what is considered "American Food" is really German. Chicken fried streak, hot dogs, hamburgers, apple pie, pot roast with vegetables...all German in origin.

Here's an interesting map based on US Census data which shows how German descendents are the largest ethnic group in a large portion of the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.svg

Oh, I realize Germans have a *lot* to their credit, I just didn't know about pie. He was convinced the Germans invented pasta too though... That's Chinese, right?

Also, I've been to enough Oktoberfests in the States to know there are a lot of Germans there :)

Top Bottom