What TV Shows Are You Watching? The 9th Is - Excuse Me - A Damn Fine Cup Of Coffee

"28 gigabytes? That's less than my phone, isn't it?"
"Well, maybe not your phone..."

:lol:

I finished the season and enjoyed it all. The story as told should make sense for those who have not read the books and lack the bigger picture told in the books. When will we get the next one?

Spoiler :
the multiple nanowires makes sense from a TV drama sense even if the book had one one. Slicing the whole ship into layers is better TV than a single wire that is perfectly placed to hit its target (less creditable).

You think I would enjoy it? Can you watch 3BP without knowing the first thing about the source material?
The story is very coherent as as presented. It may take a few episodes to adjust to the style of the show. It is very well done.

The source material sucks, so not knowing anything might be to your advantage.
But the source material sucking, doesn't mean the adapted material won't. Sometimes it can get altered to something very different that works (Starship Troopers was mentioned), but I doubt this will be the case here.
I think (?) they tried to adapt more than the first book, by the way. Which makes it even more ridiculous that 10 episodes will cover more than the entire first book, but anyway ;)

But the source material sucking, doesn't mean the adapted material won't. Sometimes it can get altered to something very different that works (Starship Troopers was mentioned), but I doubt this will be the case here.
I think (?) they tried to adapt more than the first book, by the way. Which makes it even more ridiculous that 10 episodes will cover more than the entire first book, but anyway ;)
I didn't care that they raced through so much in 10 episodes. I'm happy when a show throws interesting ideas at me, c.f. Star Trek and that insufferable social worker, Troi.

I didn't care that they raced through so much in 10 episodes. I'm happy when a show throws interesting ideas at me, c.f. Star Trek and that insufferable social worker, Troi.
Well the only change the chinese tv series made, was to have a hot girl be "the ten assistants" of the chinese policeman ^^ (also some reporter character not in the book)
But like I said, 20 episodes in, the representative of the billionaire only just died, and aliens were just a very likely cause of the events. Totally different pace!

Rewatching Sopranos, still the best.

Latest season of FARGO was also great.

First season of True Detective was good, but I hear it's downhill from here on so I might leave it at that.

First season of True Detective was good, but I hear it's downhill from here on so I might leave it at that.
Season 2 and 4 of TD I did not finish, but Season 3 is worth it.

I'm watching Season 4 of Fargo and quite enjoying it. Jessie Buckley is amazing in it as a sociopathic nurse.

With my PBS sub, I found a little gem in Marie Antoinette. Always nice to stumble on a good period piece I was not even aware of before. Appears to be a Beebs production. The actress playing Toinette is excellent, as is all the acting. She is Russian, but speaks four languages and her English is perfect. The only true familiar face here is James Purefroy as Louis the XV. Excellent and intimate production.

fwiw, I heard on a podcast today that the writers/showrunners of 3 Body Problem were also the showrunners & lead writers of Game of Thrones. David Benioff & D.B. Weiss.

Watched the first episode of 3BP. I'm very intrigued.

They didn't really deliver any exposition as to exactly what was going on in the particle accelerators though.

They didn't really deliver any exposition as to exactly what was going on in the particle accelerators though.
Yeah...they kept showing a buncha colored lines on an iPad and saying "physics is broken" or something like that..ha (still only on epi 1 though)

The story will unfold at a measured pace and all will be revealed. They have done a good job with the pace of the story.

All the shows I've watched since September of last year

Lincoln Lawyer (2 seasons)Alright show, interesting enough legal mysteries and show premise 7.6/10
The Recruit (1 season)Interesting premise, okay execution, overall entertaining enough, but it seems it could have been better. 6.8/10
The Diplomat (1 season)This is pretty solid geopolitical drama type entertainment, and most episodes kept me engaged 8.8/10
Silo (1 season) I really enjoyed this, loved Rebecca Ferguson, Tim Robbins, and other stellar performances.. and a fascinating premise and great story9.3/10
Severance (1 season) Severance (1 season) - This is a bit quirky but I really enjoyed it as well.9.27/10
The Big Door Prize (1 season)This show is endearing, even though by all accounts it should just be average. But it's got heart and well written characters 7.5/10
For All Mankind (4 seasons) This was really good! Creative & entertaining. At times the same characters repeating throughout multiple seasons feels a bit forced, but overall it's a fun well written ride.9.1/10
Reacher (2 seasons)He must work out7.4/10
Jack Ryan (4 seasons)Entertaining geopolitical drama & action. At times a bit cheesy but manages to stay off the nose I think. Storylines were good, and again, this is one of those shows where the characters feel a bit forced into later seasons a bit. But overall it doesn't really seem to hurt.7.9/10
The Expanse I'm still on season 4 of this, but recently rewatched season 1. Really well done but I almost wish they had a 50% larger budget for each ep. It was well done, but if this was more polished it'd have been in my top 3 sci-fi tv show ever. Most acting is great, but production values sometimes feel a bit average. Def top 10 though.8.2/10
Constellation (1 season)Have seen 5 episodes, have no idea what I think of this yet. Compelling enough so far, but where is it going?6.4/10
Only Deaths in the Building (3 seasons)The perfect light-hearted murder investigation show. Some of the jokes seem stupid, but more often than not they land. I really liked the feel of this show, even if some of the storylines seemed contrived. The 3 leading characters are fun to follow. 8/10
Shogun (1 season)I have only seen 3 episodes, but I really liked almost everything I have seen so far9.2
Rabbit Hole (1 season)I think it works, although Jack Bauer holds it all together, sort of. I think there's a twist or big misdirection in almost every episode? Great characters and execution. Not amazing, but not horrible, and too bad it got cancelled7.21
Bad Batch (3 seasons)The latest season of this show is the best so far, even though it's basically them trying to fix a couple of the problems with the story introduced by the latest movie in the Star Wars saga - EPISODE NEIN. This show started off as a kids show, which was to be predicted, but by season 3 it's been turned up a bit with the mature themes and implications. It's a bit more interesting as a result, even though the story could have been better. I'm also sort of getting annoyed that 80% of all bad guys have to have a raspy voice and a large subset of them have to be really good at enunciating threatening insults. Not every immoral person is a Tony Robbins graduate who smokes 5 packs a day 7

All the shows I've watched since September of last year

Lincoln Lawyer (2 seasons)Alright show, interesting enough legal mysteries and show premise7.6/10
The Recruit (1 season)Interesting premise, okay execution, overall entertaining enough, but it seems it could have been better.6.8/10
The Diplomat (1 season)This is pretty solid geopolitical drama type entertainment, and most episodes kept me engaged8.8/10
Silo (1 season)I really enjoyed this, loved Rebecca Ferguson, Tim Robbins, and other stellar performances.. and a fascinating premise and great story9.3/10
Severance (1 season)Severance (1 season) - This is a bit quirky but I really enjoyed it as well.9.27/10
The Big Door Prize (1 season)This show is endearing, even though by all accounts it should just be average. But it's got heart and well written characters7.5/10
For All Mankind (4 seasons)This was really good! Creative & entertaining. At times the same characters repeating throughout multiple seasons feels a bit forced, but overall it's a fun well written ride.9.1/10
Reacher (2 seasons)He must work out7.4/10
Jack Ryan (4 seasons)Entertaining geopolitical drama & action. At times a bit cheesy but manages to stay off the nose I think. Storylines were good, and again, this is one of those shows where the characters feel a bit forced into later seasons a bit. But overall it doesn't really seem to hurt.7.9/10
The ExpanseI'm still on season 4 of this, but recently rewatched season 1. Really well done but I almost wish they had a 50% larger budget for each ep. It was well done, but if this was more polished it'd have been in my top 3 sci-fi tv show ever. Most acting is great, but production values sometimes feel a bit average. Def top 10 though.8.2/10
Constellation (1 season)Have seen 5 episodes, have no idea what I think of this yet. Compelling enough so far, but where is it going?6.4/10
Only Deaths in the Building (3 seasons)The perfect light-hearted murder investigation show. Some of the jokes seem stupid, but more often than not they land. I really liked the feel of this show, even if some of the storylines seemed contrived. The 3 leading characters are fun to follow.8/10
Shogun (1 season)I have only seen 3 episodes, but I really liked almost everything I have seen so far9.2
Rabbit Hole (1 season)I think it works, although Jack Bauer holds it all together, sort of. I think there's a twist or big misdirection in almost every episode? Great characters and execution. Not amazing, but not horrible, and too bad it got cancelled7.21
Bad Batch (3 seasons)The latest season of this show is the best so far, even though it's basically them trying to fix a couple of the problems with the story introduced by the latest movie in the Star Wars saga - EPISODE NEIN. This show started off as a kids show, which was to be predicted, but by season 3 it's been turned up a bit with the mature themes and implications. It's a bit more interesting as a result, even though the story could have been better. I'm also sort of getting annoyed that 80% of all bad guys have to have a raspy voice and a large subset of them have to be really good at enunciating threatening insults. Not every immoral person is a Tony Robbins graduate who smokes 5 packs a day7
Apple TV+ has become the go-to place for scifi, atm, imo, fyi, ymmv. Severance, Silo and For All Mankind are recommended to anyone with even a mild interest. I also liked Monarch. Shining Girls was almost great, but stumbled. I tried Invasion and Foundation, but they didn't grab me, for whatever reason. I didn't think they were bad, just not for me, I guess. Definitely worth having a go. I haven't seen Constellation yet, but it's on my list. Coming up on May 8 is Dark Matter with Joel Edgerton and Jennifer Connelly. It's nothing to do with the Canadian scifi series of the same name, which I also liked; this one is an adaptation of Blake Crouch's novel.

For non sci-fi on Apple, Slow Horses has been one of my favorite series over the last couple of years, and I really liked Lessons in Chemistry and The Changeling.

Apple doesn't have 1% of the catalogue of Netflix or MAX by sheer volume, but it really punches above its weight, imo. They recently raised their prices, though, which caused me to drop it before things like Constellation and Masters of the Air premiered, even though I'd been looking forward to them. I'm going to wait until they've piled up some more series before resubscribing. They're doing a series adaptation of Presumed Innocent, previously adapted as the 1990 Alan Pakula movie, with Jake Gyllenhaal in the Harrison Ford role. That'll be out in June. I also want to check out Manhunt, about the hunt for Jone Wilkes Booth after he assassinated Abraham Lincoln, which is currently airing.

Even acknowledging its limitations, The Expanse is one of my favorite series of all time. That's perpetually on my list of things I could rewatch at any moment. :thumbsup:

There's no release dates yet for 2nd seasons of The Diplomat and Severance, but those might be my 2nd & 3rd most-anticipated returning shows, after Andor. There's a thread just for Severance over in the Entertainment section, but it's gone dormant while we wait. I'll probably rewatch season 1 in advance of season 2, once we have a date.

On Silo: I just picked up the 3rd novel, Dust (2013). I haven't started it yet, but the Apple series has a ton of material to work with. To my memory, the first season of the show covers half of the first book, maybe not even that much. The whole first section of the show, with David Oyelowo and Rashida Jones, is the prologue of the first book.

Top Bottom