What TV Shows Are You Watching? The 9th Is - Excuse Me - A Damn Fine Cup Of Coffee

I've considered watching it for Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey,
That's a good reason. :yup:

My 2023 in television:

Man of the Year: Pedro Pascal, The Last of Us. 2nd place is probably LaKeith Stanfield in The Changeling.
Woman of the Year: Bella Ramsey, The Last of Us. 2nd place is either Keri Russell in The Diplomat or Natasha Lyonne in Poker Face.
Villain of the Year: Scott Shepherd, The Last of Us. No clear shortlist here for 2nd place, there were several good ones. Kingsley Ben-Adir in Secret Invasion should have been a great one, but the series kind of squandered his contributions. Likewise, Ray Stevenson, Ivanna Sakhno, and Lars Mikkelsen in Ahsoka were all great, but kind of got left hanging. And Freddie Fox gets "[Tool] of the Year" for his performance in Slow Horses.
Most Pleasant Surprise of the Year: The Last of Us. Craig Mazin, the writer, also did Chernobyl, so he's on my list of names to keep an eye out for. 2nd place would be the 2nd season of Reacher. I thought the 1st season was just okay, and almost didn't bother watching season 2, but it's been great so far.

but I'm very squeamish about blood and disease and stuff, plus (you know) the whole horror thing, so I haven't tried.
I don't think there's much onscreen blood, if it's literally the visual that gets you, but of course sometimes what you don't see is worse than what you do. Disease is the premise of the show, but it doesn't really dwell on it. The show is about the people, not the outbreak. But it's got 'the whole horror thing' in spades; a pervasive sense of dread, some scenes of high tension, some body-horror, people struggling in the aftermath of a disaster. I think there's maybe three characters in the whole show who don't have PTSD. The violence isn't constant (even though it won the SAG Award for stunts, it's not an action series, and whole episodes go by without much action), but it hits you when it happens. It's like a good war movie, in that respect. Or a Pixies song. Quiet-quiet-loud. Most of the fights are for survival, not for 'winning' anything; nobody feels like they have 'plot armor' and when the protagonists win survive a fight, you feel like it's taken something out of them.

Almost near the end of 3BP.

It is surprisingly good, though I'm reading the fans familiar with the novels are less satisfied in generel. They do a good job with making the characters interesting. The science details are so-so but that's allowed in sci-fi storytelling. Sci-fi is almost always an analogy or metaphor for what humanity struggles with in the present. Liam Cunningham is a bastard and I love it haha.

It is surprisingly good, though I'm reading the fans familiar with the novels are less satisfied in generel.
Purists can be a PIA when stories move from one medium to another.

Purists can be a PIA when stories move from one medium to another.
True. Or when a story is remade within the same medium; film remakes are rarely worth the effort.

PS maybe it was explained and I missed it
Spoiler :
how did the hyper advanced alien designed 'virtual reality' helmets make it to Earth?

True. Or when a story is remade within the same medium; film remakes are rarely worth the effort.
Being offended by other people's interpretation is a fine art and often made public by those least knowledgeable.

PS maybe it was explained and I missed it
Spoiler :
how did the hyper advanced alien designed 'virtual reality' helmets make it to Earth?
Sounds like some idiocy of the show-writers ^^ In the book the 3body online page didn't need any alien-designed peripherals; human ones could be used.

Binged epis 2-4 of 3BP tonight and def hooked now. Epi 2 was very good and I figured a lot of things out that were pretty much confirmed in epi 3, which was excellent. Great ending with Karma Police though sorry about Samwell. Intrigued by the actress Marlo Kelly(Tatiana), who I'd say is mostly an unknown, with a few bits Down Under (her Aussie movie Patricia Moore looks interesting). I predict her to be a breakout star. You will see her again. Can't keep my eyes off her. Anywhooo....one little thing bothers me:

Spoiler Fairy Tales :
Part of me thought the following scene was one of the best so far in its simplicity on one level, deeper meanings and, of course, significance. When Pryce is reading Little Red Riding Hood to the Santi lady (Lord, with her confusion over a simple fairy tale and the nature of humans. Of course, in some respects, there's some truth to that. Heck, though we think of fairy tales as innocent children's stories they were more like morality tales and much darker in origin dating back to feudal times and earlier. In simpler terms though, she took it as stories are lies so humans cannot be trusted. (Yeah, I guess one could think of that as lies to entertain whereas she takes it literally) Anyway, not having read the book, the timing of this realization, or confusion, seems oddly timed at this stage - except as a plot device So I have to think in the books it must have been presented differently.

Finished Star Wars Bad Batch up to episode 9.

Starting Taskmaster season 17.

Going to watch The New Statesman season 2-4. Probably finish Halo season 2.

It's not great but better than S1.

Binged epis 2-4 of 3BP tonight and def hooked now. Epi 2 was very good and I figured a lot of things out that were pretty much confirmed in epi 3, which was excellent. Great ending with Karma Police though sorry about Samwell. Intrigued by the actress Marlo Kelly(Tatiana), who I'd say is mostly an unknown, with a few bits Down Under (her Aussie movie Patricia Moore looks interesting). I predict her to be a breakout star. You will see her again. Can't keep my eyes off her. Anywhooo....one little thing bothers me:

Spoiler Fairy Tales :
Part of me thought the following scene was one of the best so far in its simplicity on one level, deeper meanings and, of course, significance. When Pryce is reading Little Red Riding Hood to the Santi lady (Lord, with her confusion over a simple fairy tale and the nature of humans. Of course, in some respects, there's some truth to that. Heck, though we think of fairy tales as innocent children's stories they were more like morality tales and much darker in origin dating back to feudal times and earlier. In simpler terms though, she took it as stories are lies so humans cannot be trusted. (Yeah, I guess one could think of that as lies to entertain whereas she takes it literally) Anyway, not having read the book, the timing of this realization, or confusion, seems oddly timed at this stage - except as a plot device So I have to think in the books it must have been presented differently.
Spoiler :
It simply wasn't in the book (since this is episode 3, it can't already be past the first book). Communicating with the aliens was only done by chance there, in the chinese observatory, and then to the representative of the pro-alien faction. The sophons, on the other hand, could intervene and also once sent a brief gloating message. The 3body page/program did not feature aliens participating.

I see why the book readers were up in arms ^^

Btw: (video from ep5)

Spoiler :

The whole point was to not allow time for reaction. Seems to be done in a very leisurely pace here :p

Due to the many changes, I actually now watched a review, and it is argued there that they tried to present parts of the later books too. I can't comment on how good they did there, having read the first book only. But the story is said to look almost unrecognizable if you expected this to be a faithful presentation of the timeline.
Of course there is the panda in the room, with very few characters in the show being chinese, when next to all of them were in the book - and this not being at all from the chinese perspective.

Last edited:
Should note that the video posted above is a massive spoiler for episode 5 of 3 Body Problem.

Of course there is the panda in the room, with very few characters in the show being chinese, when next to all of them were in the book - and this not being at all from the chinese perspective.
That's not really bothering me, for 3 reasons:

First, I think the Chinese series adaptation of the book is available to almost anyone who wants it. Nothing's been taken away from audiences who want that version.

Second, the Netflix series does have characters & actors who are Chinese and from the diaspora. If the criticism is that the cast isn't entirely Chinese, I guess I'm just not that bothered. I don't know if Cixin Liu thought he was telling a uniquely-Chinese story (although, see below), but the fact that a story was written by a person from a population group doesn't have to mean that story is specifically about that group.

Third, it seems like I've only heard non-Chinese folks talking about whether the series has been appropriated in some way. In matters like this, I prefer to let the people with a stake in it tell me whether it bothers them. If it's a conversation they're still having among themselves, then I don't mind waiting. When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (2017) for the first time, the character of Mantis had me sinking down in my seat and watching through my fingers, at first. But then, I didn't hear or read a single criticism of the character from the East Asian diaspora. Alright then, I guess we're good, I was worried over nothing.

When I Googled it just now, it seems like the Chinese themselves are more bothered by how the Cultural Revolution is depicted. I don't know whether those scenes are fully, historically accurate - until I hear otherwise, I always just assume that a movie or show takes liberties for the sake of their story - but I do know that the Chinese government suppresses just about everything that makes them look bad (Tibet; the Tiananmen Square protests; the treatment of the Uyghur people). It's possible the Chinese today see their Cultural Revolution the same way some Americans see our Confederacy of 1862-65. A wee bit skewed, let's say.

Cixin Liu, quoted (in translation) by The Guardian:
The Guardian said:
“Frankly speaking, I don’t know even know the reasons for the success of The Three-Body Problem trilogy. I don’t find the reasons given by some researchers, such as the novels have helped the west to understand China and so on, to be convincing. I don’t think that the success of The Three-Body Problem in the west is due to the fact that the novels are Chinese science fiction novels, but rather the fact that they are science fiction novels that treat human beings as a whole.”

[...] when Netflix came calling, Liu was delighted about the chance to reach the streaming service’s huge global audience – and particularly by the news that David Benioff and DB Weiss were to be at the helm, as Game of Thrones was “one of the best film and TV adaptations” the author had ever seen.
He doesn't address the casting or the UK setting of the Netflix series directly, but from this, I infer that he's fine with it.

NY Times said:
In the fall of 2012, Ken Liu received an intriguing offer from a Chinese company with a blandly bureaucratic name: China Educational Publications Import and Export Corporation, Ltd. It was seeking an English-language translator for a trippy science-fiction novel titled “The Three-Body Problem.”
I didn't know Ken Liu (no relation to Liu Cixin, afaik) had done the English translation. I enjoyed (Ken) Liu's book, The Grace of Kings.

NY Times said:
But as he began translating, [Ken] Liu was confronted by what seemed like a more fundamental problem: The narrative structure didn’t make sense.

[...]

Studying the novel’s chaotic timeline, Liu pinpointed what he felt was the story’s natural beginning: the scenes of political violence and oppression during the Cultural Revolution, a traumatic moment that triggers the interstellar clash that follows. In a move that was unusually invasive for a translator, he suggested pulling up the historical flashback, which was buried in the middle of the narrative, and turning it into the novel’s beginning.

When Liu proposed this radical change to the author, a rising figure in China’s burgeoning science-fiction scene named Liu Cixin, he was prepared to be overruled. Instead, the author instantly agreed. “That is how I wanted it originally!” Liu recalls him saying.
So, at least in this one instance, Liu Cixin welcomed a little Western meddling.

And, to my earlier point:
NY Times said:
As it turned out, the Cultural Revolution had torn Liu Cixin’s family apart. He was just 3 when the political upheaval began, and still remembers hearing gunshots at night and seeing trucks full of men wearing red armbands patrolling the city where he lived in Shanxi province. When the situation there became too volatile, his parents, who worked in a coal mine, sent him away to live with relatives in Henan. The brutality of Mao Zedong’s revolution was also central to the story that Liu Cixin wanted to tell in “The Three-Body Problem.” But his Chinese publisher worried that the opening scenes were too politically charged and would never make it past government censors, so they were placed later in the narrative, he says, to make them less conspicuous. Liu reluctantly agreed to the change, but felt the novel was diminished. “The Cultural Revolution appears because it’s essential to the plot,” Liu Cixin told me during a Skype interview through an interpreter. “The protagonist needs to have total despair in humanity.”
I guess I'm surprised the government censors didn't want the depiction of the Cultural Revolution rewritten or removed entirely. Perhaps the publisher's tactic of burying the scene in the middle of the book worked, and the censors didn't read that far. :lol:

^I recall thinking that the first chapter was entirely out of place and the weakest start. So apparently this was a decision by the translator, although you say that the author claims he "originally wanted it that way".
Of course the problems with the (first) book don't end there.

The books were just fine. I read them all, enjoyed them and have found that so far the TV series is about as faithful to them as one can be given the more limited format and the need to keep audiences entertained and interested.

Sounds like some idiocy of the show-writers ^^ In the book the 3body online page didn't need any alien-designed peripherals; human ones could be used.

Well, 'idiocy' is a harsh judgement imo. Overall they made a pretty good season. The characters and the reasons why they make the choices they do, are solid. Some are even arrogant and unlikeable, but that's fine. There's a bone chilling scene that just has Jonathan Pryce reading a fairy tale to an alien entity via a mic and speaker setup, suddenly realizing his hubris.

I've read the short synopsis of the next two novels and the science and timeline just goes completely bonkers from what I've read. I think they will be very difficult to adapt for this streaming series format, without making major changes to the source material. B&W got their work cut out for them, if they get greenlit for more seasons.

After finishing 3 Body Problem, I rewatched the first episodes of Legion (2017) and Sea Patrol (2007). The first season of Legion is a must-watch, imo. I can't say much about it without spoilers, but it's by Noah Hawley, who also did Fargo, and is very weird. It features a number of actors we might recognize from other places: Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, Hamish Linklater, some others who'll make you say, "oh, hey, it's so-and-so." Sea Patrol is good for when one's brain is in low-power mode. The show's about a small Royal Australian Navy boat that fills the functions of the U.S. Coast Guard, maritime rescue & law enforcement. It's a little propagandist - "Hey boys & girls, doesn't being in the Navy look like fun?" - and iirc its depiction of non-White people in later episodes will raise an eyebrow, but it scratches the itch for light adventure.

The Gentlemen
Guy Ritchie's latest "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" 8 part series about eccentric English dukes, God-bothering Liverpudlian coke dealers, poitin-drinking travelers, a Belgian wafflehole and other assorted psychos.
Ok cast: Ray "he's an 'ard man" Winstone, Giancarlo "Gus" Esposito, Max Beesley, Nigel Havers, two Foxes and, of course, Vinnie "FA Cup" Jones.
Some laughs, many mehs. 6/10.

After finishing 3 Body Problem, I rewatched the first episodes of Legion (2017) and Sea Patrol (2007). The first season of Legion is a must-watch, imo. I can't say much about it without spoilers, but it's by Noah Hawley, who also did Fargo, and is very weird. It features a number of actors we might recognize from other places: Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, Hamish Linklater, some others who'll make you say, "oh, hey, it's so-and-so."

You had me at Noah Hawley and Hamish Linklater, who was mesmerizing in Midnight Mass. I hope it is less about superheroes and more about *something else*, because the superhero genre is on indefinite hold in my home. :)

Legion is streaming where?

Top Bottom