What type of victory do you achieve LEAST often?

Time victory and cultural victory. I'd like to see them for the end of game movies, but never mind :).

Had all the others, or abandoned the game if it looks like being a long drawn out slog through the modern era without significant destructive possibilities. At the moment I'm more aggressive than I was when I started playing - on Chieftain I usually managed to get diplomatic victories, then later on I developed better aggressive strategies and I even tried axe-rushing someone (Isabella trapped beneath me on a peninsula) the other day, and it worked!

Time. Seriously, who wins time once you're playing noble +? If you're doing well enough that you could win time, you'll probably win something else. Usually, the AI will culture you or launch the ship before 2050, especially on Emperor+, but even before then.

Other than that, I almost never bother with culture or space. Of the two, I pretty much never pursue culture, having only won that way twice. Space sometimes I'll do either as part of a challenge (win this game 1: cathy no cottages/wonders space race for example) or because I feel like making the game slower.

90% of my wins are either domination/conquest of diplomacy (often AP). My #1 victory type in the past 2 months or so is AP diplomatic victory, usually after bumping a civ or three off the planet.

My least common is diplomatic -- I play with diplomatic victory off. I can't stand the EXTREME happiness penalties for defying a resolution, and I'll be damned if I'm going to adopt Environmentalism.

Never won cultural or Diplo.

While I like building, I don't like building that much. And I refuse to play the "join me in adopting whatever" game for diplo, or gift techs, or accept the hordes of random demands, so its rare I can get more than 3-4 civs to vote for me. I actually lose a fair amount of games to diplo despite being ahead. Vote pops up out of the blue, I get 4-5 civs to vote for me, and the other 11 all bandwagon to an AI.

What's funny is Diplomatic victory is basically impossible in a fully multiplayer game, except as a pseudo-domination victory if you can control the votes with enough population.

What's funny is Diplomatic victory is basically impossible in a fully multiplayer game, except as a pseudo-domination victory if you can control the votes with enough population.

You'd be hard pressed to win any non-military victory in a fully multiplayer game. If you go culture you'll probably get bum rushed and one of the cities razed, you lose then. Space is a little less dicey but again parts are expensive and while you build them other people will be making military (unless your past military exploits have gotten you big enough to evade a concentrated effort at your capitol after launch, but then again that's a more military victory).

Diplomatic would be pretty funny. There should be the option to buy/sell votes in multiplayer for techs or something. that way players could take risks for techs at the expense of being forced to vote for a player and potentially losing/having something he doesn't want passed.

Conquest and/or domination - won each only once. Bored the living hell out of me.
I've really enjoyed domination a few times. Only when most of the civs are on the same land mass, though.
Never won conquest or cultural.
Usually get space, domination and diplomatic.
Ditto for me.
I've never won a time victory. I just don't have that much time to spend playing a stupid game.
I've gotten close, but built the spaceship in the nick of time.

Why am I reading that domination/conquest take a long time? I can't see how it's possibly any longer than a space race. Slower than culture or early diplo, but only by what, an hour or so? Or do you play with battle animations on and watch monty's knights get shot down 1 by one for 5 hours :p?

I've really enjoyed domination a few times. Only when most of the civs are on the same land mass, though.

It's simply a matter of taste. Military is, for me, the most mundane/common element of Civ IV. I mean, there are some interesting tactics, and I don't shy away from a good fight, but the CPU is ill suited to deal with an intelligent opponent, and it just feels like a slog to me. Diplomatic, cultural, and space all require interacting with the CPU for most of the game in ways that I just don't feel conquest/domination does - and as such, it feels like those options put on the back burner so much of what makes Civ Civ.

Conquest. I've only gotten it once or twice. Same thing for Domination, and also Time for that matter.

Mostly Space Race for me, but also a fair share of Diplomatic and Culture.

I've never had a Time victory. I just don't have the patience to sit through 750 turns without pursuing a real victory. Every other type I have won at least once, although my Conquest win was an OCC where I didn't have the option of keeping captured cities.

Definitely time.... for me time is not even a winning option. 2nd is clearly Cultural, 3rd is diplo.

I most of the times win by space... not that I shun a good bloodbath once in a while :devil:

Space, Time, Diplo, Score, Culture I win the least, because I always turn those off. I used to have fun winning those but the game got to repetitive and boring for me with those conditions. I only run Conquest and Domination conditions now. That way the games last however long it takes to wipe everyone out, or be wiped out myself.

Top Bottom