What video games have you been playing? ΚΔ (24)? More like ΚΔ,Ζ,ΤΞΕ!

Kyriakos

Creator
Hello and welcome to thread ΚΔ. Playing games 24/7/365, but with refined hellenic taste.

Previous threads:

Mostly DF:

1715202261100.png

Another big difference, is that the AI is much stronger in battles that you chose to autoplay/"delegate" rather than manually controlling the battle yourself. So fights where you would have previously routed the enemy with the "delegate" command and so could have skipped... now show up as "crushing defeats" and so on, forcing you to play them out manually. Even battles that show up as predicted easy victories end up with way more casualties than you would expect under normal difficulty... so the point is that you have to actually fight way more battles manually.... which is actually a lot of fun anyway, so... OK.

I've noticed this a lot with the hero era of TW. I don't actually derive much joy from micromanaging battles, so I've always leaned heavily on auto resolve except for battles where the odds are not in my favour. In games like Rome, Medieval, and Shogun, that has been fine regardless of difficulty so long as you have overwhelming numbers. When I tried that in Warhammer, I promptly got wrecked by the Chaos invasion. I'd surround one of their incursion armies with five of my own, auto resolve, and within seconds I'd have nothing left while their army is perfectly intact.

My reaction was something like this:

New avatar.

For Syn!

It would be more cheerful... :think:

I've been playing a lot of Cluedo lately. I'm trying it at the highest level and failing miserably.

I wasn't aware that it was scalable! Does the AI get better dice rolls or something?

I wasn't aware that it was scalable! Does the AI get better dice rolls or something?
Cluedo? You can choose the number of AI opponents, and play at Easy, Medium, or Hard level.

I managed 400 points (gold star) on Medium level, so I thought I'd try Hard. Everyone is mopping the floor with me. :(

I haven't figured out yet what I'm doing wrong.

@Birdjaguar
Birdjaguar said:
I am familiar with how Total War games work. I was just wondering how long in game time is a turn: 1 year? 2 years? 3 months?
Sorry, my bad :blush: ... So the turns in Total War: Three Kingdoms are based on seasons rather than years. So you get 5 turns per year, Spring, Summer, Harvest, Autumn and Winter. I like it alot because it makes what you can get done in a year, like for example, travel times, battles, marriages, etc., feel more meaningful and realistic/manageable.

As an aside, I enjoy Civ games where the game is modded/scaled into monthly/seasonal turns because its bonkers when your units take centuries or decades to travel to the nearest city :crazyeye:

its bonkers when your units take centuries or decades to travel to the nearest city :crazyeye:
They have Moses syndrome, taking 40 years to travel what should take less than a month, because he refuses to stop and ask for directions.

I've been adrift the past few weeks when I wasn't in a productivity hole. I got a really cheap bundle including all the American Conquest and Cossacks games, due to some nostalgia over the older Cossacks. To be honest, they aged poorly. Most were really unforgiving as well, possibly due to old coding messing with how in-game speed works. I did get a few hours of fun out of Cossacks 3, though.

I played Before We Leave, a grid-based settlement game about colonizing new islands and planets. It was fun, but I stopped playing for a bit and I did not feel overly compelled to return afterward. There's a really sharp punishment once you reach a certain population on an island, and it was mostly irritating to deal with.

I poked at The Surge. It seemed interesting, but when I realized it's a souls-like grinding game, I dropped it quickly. There's only so many times I can clear a region, return to deposit money, and then clear the region again so I can afford a single upgrade that only improves my stats minutely. The lack of a map also worked against it here, not because of getting confused, but because it's open world to a fault and you have no real idea if you're about to be in a place you shouldn't or a place that moves you ahead when you'd rather not. If you're someone who likes exploring every nook and cranny before moving on, the world design will make you weep.

Now... I'm back to Terraria. It's been six years or longer since I last played. There's been a few updates. It's time to replay it.

I've recently been playing more NG+ Jedi: Survivor. It is a really good game.

Project Zomboid - loads of fun but super hard.

Hey there, Zelet! :D

'Playing' FIFA 14 career mode. That's to say, I just sign and sell players and simulate the matches. FIFA 14 gameplay on PC certainly hasn't aged well, and I don't have the time to play every game in a season.

Managing Real Madrid as Alfredo Torretta (fictional entity (Torretta, not Real)). Cristiano Ronaldo drops a bombshell in the first month; says he's unhappy and wants to leave. Torretta thinks no big deal, he'll get better when we start winning games. No major transfers, Real Madrid are set with a star-studded squad, with Benzema, Modric, di Maria, Pepe, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Xabi Alonso, Sami Khedira and of course CR7. First few games are disappointing as Real record losses, but pick up in November and are flying high by the transfer window (though 2nd in the league). First day of new year, another bombshell: Ronaldo has been sold by the club. Distraught, Torretta manages to snag a replacement in Osvaldo, but he's only here until we get CR7 back. Rest of the season goes on, Real reach the cup final and the UCL final, and challenging for the league championship. Atletico are top, Barca second, Real third and any of them can win it. Drama as the penultimate game is Real vs Barca. A tense match goes Barca's way. One game later we learn that Barca's win over Real had given them the 3 points they need to pip them to the title by 1 point. Even worse, if Real had won the game they would have been the champions. Torretta and his men put away their heartbreak as they prepare for the cup final. It is against Barca. A tight game, but Barca wins 1-0. No matter, at least we have the UCL. Torretta looks up the opponents: it's Barca again! A third clasico in 30 days! Another tight affair but Barca end up winning 1-0. So that's it. Barcelona win a historic treble, with all three titles being clinched against their eternal rivals. Hardly the most auspicious debut season for Torretta.

Surprisingly, the Real board decide to stick with him. Next season and Torretta (to the presumed disappointment of the players) is still around. With renewed confidence from the board's backing, Torretta asserts himself. Isco and Modric are promoted to the starting lineup replacing Xabi Alonso and Khedira as the formation is changed to a more offensive one. Torretta contacts Chelsea to sign back CR7, they agree, but Ronaldo hangs up the phone, citing 'history between [him] and the club' (what history? :confused:). So Torretta signs Bale from Spurs. Real's youth scouting program has been successful so far with a bunch of up-and-coming talents loaned off elsewhere. A few auxiliary signings, Khedira is sold and Torretta's team is good to go. Disaster strikes early as di Maria is injured again. (He was injured twice in the previous season). Bale's time to shine as he comes clutch on a number of important occasions. Benzema though is disappointing as he barely nicks any goals. Ozil and Modric, though, have a great season, with Ozil playing in almost every position ahead of the halfway line to cover up for an epidemic of injuries that plague the team the entire season. Real are knocked out of the cup and the UCL, with only the league to play for as they try to play catch-up with Barca. Late in the season di Maria returns from injury, makes a cameo, then goes out injured again. Torretta's fury is beyond boiling point. The season ends, Barca don't get their treble, but they win the league, and Real are trophyless again.

Torretta thinks 'this is the end' and goes fishing in the off-season. So he is deeply surprised when he receives an email from the directors telling him they've decided to stick with him again (couldn't find someone else, huh?). So Torretta cuts his fishing trip and dashes back to Madrid to prepare for the 15/16 season. Even cockier than before, Torretta asserts himself even more. Still fuming at di Maria he sells him off before he can get injured again. Eden Hazard is signed and announced with a glitzy reveal. In a bold move Nuri Shahin is also sold (to Man City) as Real have an embarrasment of riches in midfield, with Isco, Ozil and Modric in the starting 11, a gracefully aging Xabi Alonso and a young and energetic Carlos Henrique Casemiro (yes, the game calls him by his first name) in the subs. Third time lcuky for Torretta as Real win the league at last, on the way recording their greatest-so-far victory of the Torretta era (6-0 against Deportivo) but also their greatest loss (though not really embarrassing) (1-3 against Barca). Real are knocked out of the UCL and the cup again, but the team and the board are stoked about their first trophy in a long (by Real's standards) time. Torretta gets to stay.

Real's preparations are underway for the 16-17 season. Torretta contacts Ronaldo again, but is once more rebuffed. No big deal. Enjoy your misery at Chelsea, Ronny boy. In defence Pepe and Nacho are sold off, and a surprising name is signed to replace Carvajal - the Northern Irish full back Joe Dudgeon, with a 85 rating edging him over Carvajal's 83. Otherwise Real retain their squad, with more youth signings padding the spaces (after three seasons Torretta knows just how commonplace and devastating injuries are at Real). Jese Rodriguez and Morata are two of Real's own who will be expected to compete with each other to prove a worthy successor to Benzema. The season kicks off, with various ups and downs, and terrible injuries. On the bright side everyone gets to play as each and every player in Real's extensive squad chips in to cover up for injuries, down to the teenaged Sultan Al Dosari and Lucian Iorga. Jese and Morata, in particular, shine out by putting in some heroic performances when Benzema gets hauled off. Real are knocked out of the cup and the UCL again, but manage to lift the league title for the second consecutive time.

At this point I left off playing anymore. All this happened months ago in the real world. But a few days ago I came back to the save.

Due to a stupid clerical error Jese is sold off to PSG. However Torretta decides that Real don't need to change anything this time around. Casillas and Carvajal are aging, but we reckon that they can go on for this season at least, they'll be replaced next year. So the season kicks off. Real are humiliated in the Super Cup against Barcelona, and lose their first two league games. However we rally in a UCL match against some minor team, then start climbing up from 11th in the league until we reach the 5th. Next two games are against Atletico and Barca - 2nd and 1st respectively in the league. Wins against them will bring us all the way up to the top. Real crush Atletico 3-0, but lose against Barca again. Real win 4-0 against Liverpool, and win big in the cup, but their decline in the league has begun. After a series of senseless 1-1 draws against teams which we absolutely should have crushed Real are now in 6th, 5 points off a place in Europe. Meanwhile Ramos got injured after the first two games of the campaign, then returned to play in a 3-0 victory against Barca in the cup, got immediately injured, then returned a while ago only to get injured for a further 4 months. Benzema is injured, with Morata playing in his stead while Samu Castillejo (an unsung hero of the previous two campaigns) is playing in Hazard's place. At the back Carvajal and Varane have been getting carded almost every single game, so Maicon and the young English talent Martin Brisley have been filling in. Dudgeon now has a 87 rating, and has played everywhere in the back this season from LB to CB to RB, and looks to be shaping to be the greatest talent from Northern
Ireland since George Best. Our hopes for a third consecutive La Liga seem to be dashed in the water, and it looks like just qualifying for the UCL would be achievement enough for Real this season. It's not over yet, though as half the season remains to be played.
Spoiler meet the squad :

dw.png

w.png

ce.png

Civilization VI: Welcome to the Thunderdome

Deity, Huge Continents & Islands, Barbarian Clans, shuffled Tech & Civics trees, random Civ.

The roulette wheel gave me Suleiman (Muhteşem) of the Ottoman Empire. Muhteşem translates variously as magnificent, splendid, glorious, majestic, etc. I started out in a hilly, mountainous area bounded to the north by a long, completely impassable mountain range, and to the west by a long, almost impassable mountain range. Some ridiculous locations for Campuses. I quickly met the Cree to my south and the Persians to the southwest, and a couple of City-States. I immediately started cranking out Warriors. I knew that Suleiman's +4 Combat Strength would be the most useful in the Ancient Era, which is super-helpful at Deity. When I had 5 Warriors deployed and was working on a 6th, [stink] jumped off: Cyrus declared war on Poundmaker, so I did too. I wasn't as ready as I wanted to be, but I wanted to jump on the Cree while they had to fight on two fronts. I didn't think I could take them by myself. Sorry, Poundmaker, but you know what they say: If you look around the card-table and you can't spot the fish, it's you. Anyway, this is Deity difficulty. You gotta throw some elbows. 6 Warriors, then 6 Slingers, 4 of which grew into Archers asap. And that was just to start. By the time war was over, I had 11 Warriors, 7 Archers, and 2 Scouts.

I took the first Cree city pretty easily. The Persians took one also, although later I was surprised to see that they'd destroyed it instead of capturing it. Maybe they were concerned about Loyalty Pressure - another useful trait of the Ottomans: +1 Happiness, +4 Loyalty, and no Population loss in captured cities. Somehow, Poundmaker got Ancient Walls around his capital during the Ancient Era and a Golden Age for the Classical Era (so I lost that +4 combat bonus). The rest of the war was a real slog, but by the end of the Classical Era, Poundmaker was pounding sand and I had 5 cities (3 captured cities, plus 1 captured Cree Settler).

By that time, I'd met Moctezuma to my southwest, Tomyris to my west, on the other side of the nearly-impassable mountain range, and Emperor Trajan to my north, on the other side of the impassable mountain range. Sheesh. Bunch of peace-loving hippies in this game (well, there was one, and look what happened to him). Everybody was mad at me for curb-stomping the Cree, but by the end of the Classical Era, they'd all forgotten about it and, except for the Aztecs, were all declaring Friendships with me.

At the start of the Medieval Era (a Golden Age), I have twelve cities, leading the pack, size-wise. My country kind of looks like a vertical smear down the canvas. Cyrus and Moctezuma are right on my borders. My army is respectable, I've built Ancient Walls around all of my cities, and I've declared Friendships with almost everyone. Poundmaker had built the Great Bath in his capital (that probably got him killed), but so far, that's my only Wonder. I got within 5 turns of building the Colosseum before Tomyris ganked it from me. I've started building the Great Lighthouse in my only coastal city, but I'll be shocked if I get it.

I've got 3 reinforced Encampments on my border with Cyrus, but with Warriors transforming into Swordsmen all over the place, Moctezuma and I are giving each other some hard looks. I just built 3 cities right in his face and he denounced me. Moctewhat? Moctewho? I can't quite hear you all the way over there. Whyn't you come over here and say that to my face?

Spoiler :

I've recently been playing more NG+ Jedi: Survivor. It is a really good game.

Hey there, Zelet! :D
Agreed, I've been playing through the main story and am a little over halfway through I think. The performance sucks for a 12900k and a 4090 though idk what they did to make it run so bad. Are you playing NG+ with the Warrior perk?

Top Bottom