What went wrong with Civ V and what CivBE should avoid

The AI was bad in all the games, and it will always be bad. I dont consider the AI towards what I would like in Civ games because its useless judging the games based on that.

Regarding the unit limit problems, what about stack limits as someone suggested? Call to Power had those. It also had terrible AI.

In fact, it doesn't seem that the issue was how the units were handled, but the limit was always the AI.

Combat wise Civ IV was my least favorite. You had to dedicate vastly too much into military, and unlimited SODs were a terrible idea.

SMAC vas the most perfect to me because I could win by building things.

15 years ago, we had AI that could coordinate attacks on bases with you. Supplied you with units at times of war, shared strategic maps on their own initiative. Asked for and provided loans.
Today, we have a drooling idiot with singular strategy - move N units on the tright line and hope some of them will survive to make at least 1 attack on enemy city.
SMAC combat AI was bad enough. But for we are comparing 2010 with 1999.

Where Civ V failed was the fact that is almost went backwards in terms of details. Looks sexy, but took out choices by the simple fact that it simplified so many things. AI was predictable, even on Deity. The challenge came from the bonuses AI opponents got on higher difficulties rather than better decision-making.

Make this hard by making the AI smarter.

15 years ago, we had AI that could coordinate attacks on bases with you. Supplied you with units at times of war, shared strategic maps on their own initiative. Asked for and provided loans.
Today, we have a drooling idiot with singular strategy - move N units on the tright line and hope some of them will survive to make at least 1 attack on enemy city.
SMAC combat AI was bad enough. But for we are comparing 2010 with 1999.

While I can't explain the diplomacy (I have no idea what Shafer was doing, I mean in interviews they mentioned something about reading the AIs body language but that doesn't justify removing a large amount of diplomatic options), the old AIs had stacking and squares and a tried-and-true licensed engine.

...and SMAC used only half of a gigabyte. (But I think modern game composed mostly with music and graphic)

Funny thing is that it and Civ 2 have high CPU usage on modern computers because they were programmed to basically use as much processing power as possible at the time because the processors were weak, which can lead to overheating now.

I readily admit I didn't read the entire thread - I stopped half-way through the first post because, ironically enough, I was trying to find information on Civ 6 and came across an article from 2011 about "What went wrong with Civ 5." Either this guy is the original author or he just copied and pasted (because the author of that article hated global happiness too). :rolleyes:

I started playing Civ games with Civ 2. And seeing how much was changed from each version, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that CivBE is going to be NOTHING LIKE Civ5.

A thread stating 1 unit per tile was wrong should just be closed as spam, how can still ppl be so stubborn to not realize how better it is?

What went wrong with Civ5?

1. A diplomacy system that makes you feel like you are playing a game, not leading a great civilization.

2. An AI that is dumb.

Moderator Action: You're number 2 was modified because it was extremely inappropriate.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Sounds like the entire second post is you saying "they made the game too complicated for the AI to be able to play it properly", which to me seems like a problem with AI competence and not the actual design of the game itself.

Sounds like the entire second post is you saying "they made the game too complicated for the AI to be able to play it properly", which to me seems like a problem with AI competence and not the actual design of the game itself.

You can't separate AI competence from game design. Civilization is an intrinsically single-player game, and if you design mechanics the AI can't properly utilize, that means there is a flaw in your system. This isn't to say the AI needs to be able to wage war as well as the Top 1% of deity players, but it needs to be able to do the job well enough to remain interesting.

In that sense, all this talk about Civilization V's wonderful tactical combat is lost due to the fact the common enemy often spams AA guns and throws archers to the frontline, which the AI usually decides will be on the wrong side of a plains river.

You can't separate AI competence from game design. Civilization is an intrinsically single-player game, and if you design mechanics the AI can't properly utilize, that means there is a flaw in your system. This isn't to say the AI needs to be able to wage war as well as the Top 1% of deity players, but it needs to be able to do the job well enough to remain interesting.

In that sense, all this talk about Civilization V's wonderful tactical combat is lost due to the fact the common enemy often spams AA guns and throws archers to the frontline, which the AI usually decides will be on the wrong side of a plains river.

Not to mention if you can't design an AI to use it, it may be too complicated for some players.

Which is why they need to move to a 1apa (1 army per area) intercept type combat instead of a Nupt (N unit per tile) unit combat [both 1upt and SOD are basically single unit combat]

Where an "army" is
1. assembled from various units
2. almost as expensive to heal as to rebuild (actually costs something to heal)
3. controls(defends) more than one tile.

A thread stating 1 unit per tile was wrong should just be closed as spam, how can still ppl be so stubborn to not realize how better it is?

Because contrary to your opinion, other opinions reached a different conclusion? Having played thousands of hours of Civ, mine can be included. You should be embarrassed to express such an ill-considered and closed-minded notion.

Some ais in civilization 5 used to stay and be a victim/numbnut to the mauling player civilization. Can't the ai be a little more smart. The ai also makes mistakes but does it have to not care about the way other civilizations think about it and not kill other civilizations. The human player should also get a negative hit like the ai does so that the player can judge how to treat a civilization. The ai should also be getting warmonger penalties and the human be able to show the ai emotions such as pleased or hostile.

I won't address the OP since it's obvious for anyone who played BNW that this guy has no clue about the game.

Imo there are two main issues to Civ 5 BNW at the moment, which could be summed up by:

1° The AI is too dumb to compete against humain beings and the only way to make things harder was giving increasingly ridiculous advantages to the AI players, which basically forces you to play a pretty strict play style if you want to win on higher difficulties (focus on growth and science with a tall empire, forget early game wonders/aggression for the most part, play catch-up until Renaissance etc).
I don't think this issue will be addressed anytime soon. Building AIs for this kind of game is hard.

2° Every victory is a science victory in disguise. Domination goes to the guy with the most advanced army (or the Mongols), Culture goes to the first who gets Hotels/National Visitor Center/Internet, Science is self explanatory, and Diplo is a joke anyway and I feel like I'm cheating every time I go through this route in single player. The devs seem to be aware of this issue as they talked about it at the PAX panel so I hope that this one will be solved. However, being aware of the issue is one thing, coming up with a convincing solution is a different story.

I really hope that the difficulty in this game will not come from cheap bonuses to the AI but rather from a more intelligent AI.

For epople who say BNW changed everything.
1. AI is as dumb as before, attempts to fix it failed and instead of drooling idiot we have an idiot who learned to wipe his drool.
2. Diplomacy hasn't changed at all. World Congress is a lousy parody on SMAC Planetary Council.
3. Global happiness saw no change.
4. Penalties - same as with vanilla civ. "Have to build X in all your cities to build Y" etc.
5. 1UPT. Combat saw no change at all. It was a horrible, boring and tedious experience. Even infamous CivIV stacks of doom were hundred times better than 1UPT quagmire of CivV and BNW.
BNW introduced trade which is nice but paled before all other flaws, ideologies, which did not fixed any of civV problems as well.
Firaxis already decided to stick with 1UPT in CBE. So my hope is that they will change it in some way so it will not be a miserable sight we saw in CivV. Maybe with some work this crippled system could be turned into something at least somehow playable.

1. AI is as dumb as before, attempts to fix it failed and instead of drooling idiot we have an idiot who learned to wipe his drool.
2. Diplomacy hasn't changed at all. World Congress is a lousy parody on SMAC Planetary Council.
4. Penalties - same as with vanilla civ. "Have to build X in all your cities to build Y" etc.
5. 1UPT. Combat saw no change at all. It was a horrible, boring and tedious experience. Even infamous CivIV stacks of doom were hundred times better than 1UPT quagmire of CivV and BNW.
BNW introduced trade which is nice but paled before all other flaws, ideologies, which did not fixed any of civV problems as well.
Firaxis already decided to stick with 1UPT in CBE. So my hope is that they will change it in some way so it will not be a miserable sight we saw in CivV. Maybe with some work this crippled system could be turned into something at least somehow playable.

You have some valid points here, hyperbole aside, but #4 is frankly false. Civ 5 easily has the least amount of penalties of any Civ game. Cost =/= Penalty, and most of the costs in Civ 5 are in the form of opportunity cost, which is a very forgiving system involving very little penalization. The other costs are generally in the form of gold, either up front or per turn maintenance.

To start, let's look at how Civ 5 compares to Civ 4 in terms of penalties, since this is the game you consistently compare it to. I found that Civ 4 was much more penalizing in a variety of ways:
  • Most civics have *actual* penalties when adopted. Whereas not one social policy or tenet has a negative effect.
  • Random events - need I say more?:lol: - unequivocally and straightforwardly penalize players (arbitrarily at that, which can be extremely frustrating). They do not exist in Civ 5.
  • Health penalized players for settling in certain locations (re: flood plains) or for not building otherwise useless buildings just to keep growing. It does not exist in Civ 5.

(Just to be clear, I'm not a Civ 5 "fanboy" that thinks all these changes are necessarily good - I very much enjoyed Civ 4 - and that Civ 5 can't be improved upon, I'm only pointing out that the two games have different models and Civ 5 irrefutably penalizes the player *less* than Civ 4.)

Let's look at how Civ 5 actually penalizes players:
  • World Congress resolutions (embargo, ban luxury, standing army tax, and arts/sciences funding) which can be combatted and/or overturned.
  • Culture costs rise marginally with city expansion, which can be mitigated by a policy in Liberty, the "wide" social policy tree (the extra costs here generally have no effect on policy rate as long as some culture buildings are constructed in new cities)
  • Science costs rise marginally with city expansion - this change with BNW has caused a greater uproar in the Civ 5 community than any recent change, to me showing that players are not used to penalties in the game. Personally, I find it has a negligible effect, especially after universities.
That's it. These are all minor penalties which have a very small effect on the game, and the inherent penalties (culture and science costs) are necessary for balance to prevent wide from being always better than tall, imo.

Finally, let's go through your points that claim Civ 5 "penalizes" players, but in fact do not:
  • The game does not "penalize" you for building roads, it makes you think strategically about where and when to build them (strategy is good, the more the better in a 4X strategy game).
  • Upkeep costs for buildings replaces the Civ 4 model of the arbitrary and ambiguous city cost depending on nearness to one's capital - this system is 1) immediately clear and intuitive to the player, and 2) allows the player to decide what and when to build buildings and set the rate of GPT the city costs. (BTW, your assertion that high level players do not construct "most" buildings is simply false as well - here again, we have strategy where some buildings are not useful in all cities but are critical to some. In any case, most cities do get most buildings in high level play.)
  • The national wonder requirements of having the base building in all cities rather than 75% is a rather negligible change, imo. It still serves the same purpose of providing tall empires with extra yields to compete with wide empires, and wide empires certainly are not "prevented from building" the national wonders due to the requirements. In fact, because most national wonders require only the most basic buildings which should be some of the earliest buildings in a city's queue, it's not uncommon for wide empires to have about half of the national wonders (N. Epic, N. Coll, EIC, Harvard, etc.). But this is more a point about balance and doesn't take the form of a penalty at all.
  • While we're on the subject of wide vs tall balance, it's worth noting I think that wide empires do get Golden Ages, just not quite as rapidly as tall empires (I'd hazard a guess that they get ~1 fewer in the course of a game) but since they get far more of a bonus it's pretty well balanced.
  • Similarly, your assertion that wide empires cannot win via culture in BNW is just plain wrong - easily the earliest possible culture win is by going wide with sacred sites (tourism from religious buildings). It's not easy, but it can produce a win around turn 150-175.

It seems to me that you are confusing "cost" (and in some cases, "difficulty") for "penalization". I think your arguments regarding the other points have some holes as well, but none so glaring as this. Perhaps I'll go through them later if you are interested in having a discussion.

Did we play two completely different games, OP? Some of this mess is just blantantly not true at all. I feel whoever wrote this must not have actually played CiV because some of the facts are just wrong, entirely. I'm not even talking about his opinions.

What does this have to do with BE btw?

yes ai is not perfect, we know. diplomacy is fairly interesting in bnw (on immo/deity).

i dont know what civ5 you played, but global happiness works as a limiting factor on expansion. sure, if you go and jerk around with prince AI on a huge map its not gonna be. but if you wanna get a decent fast finish (~t200) happiness is the key binding constraint - especially in what many consider to be the prime VC, science.

1upt is really just a question of taste. you have to understand that SoDs were probably the main reason to deter new players from playing civ4. i enjoyed civ4, but tbh i appreciated the change to 1upt. a game should try to keep the frustration low, and while 1upt as it was implemented in civ5 is certainly not perfect, i think it makes more sense in that regard than SoDs.

Top Bottom